Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good first paddle?  (Read 5582 times)
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 11:46:09 AM »

For a first paddle I would look for a usedv single lever vibroplex

Me, too, but I'm partial to that company's wares and history. Nobody ever got fired for recommending Bencher.
K7JG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 09:59:11 PM »

Similar recent thread on another board:
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?302710-Broke-my-paddles-Now-what/page3
K6LO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 10:37:51 AM »

AE4RV Wrote: "Nobody ever got fired for recommending Bencher."

LOL- Bencher should pay you a royalty for that.

Luke
KA2DDX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2011, 03:35:44 AM »

My first was the Heathkit hd-1416 keyer. It was great until it died and I couldn't get parts for it. But, you have to use one hand to hold it still. Then, I moved on to the Kent tp-1, and I have had it now for 7 years and it is excellent for it's class of paddle. I also have the MFJ paddle, which is a Bencher knock off. I like using it except for the fact that it doesn't hold it's settings. Now and then you have to readjust it. The Kent and higher end paddles are adjust and forget.

73's - Larry
KF7ATL

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 08:01:58 PM »

Thought I would tell you guys thanks again, and let you know that I decided to go with the Bencher BY-1. I ordered it this evening--should be here in a few days.

Garth
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 06:29:03 AM »

Hi All

As many hams as there are opinions.
I use a homebrew paddle for 11 yrs now and I think I will still use it another 11 yrs.

A good affordable paddle would be the Kent or one of the MFJ paddles.
Though the Bencher BY1 is not that more expencive as the MFJ's but is a better quality.
The differences between the BY paddles is more the finish then the signaling quality a gould finished paddle does not outpreform a black one.

I agree with the one guy, pddles are more on the desk to impress ather hams then they are used by most hams.
If you have troubles with sending with a paddle , most of the times the problem lies between your ears instead of the paddles.
Since I become a bit handyer with sending morse code.
The make or model of the paddles or quality becomes less important each day.

good luck in the paddle forrest.

73 Jos
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 10:08:56 AM »

Very good,

Dutch guys live with their feet at or below sea level.

A paddle is so expensive because the adjustments may not change over constant temperature in the shack nor may the contacts need cleaning often, and the movement of the paddlecontacts must be minimal in the order of 1 mil, and that distance must be stable over time, according to K7QO and that is a guy that is the fastest in CW in the States, and not a dumbo because he is a retired astrophysicist.

So "Let your fingers do the talking" (not on a PC keyboard  Tongue ),  but with paddles.

It is told that guys such as Begali sneaky copied  a home made design of the East European HST world champion in sending, and sells it as "Silver Bullshit"  or something.  Year later  all the guys at HST are provided with a free sample and asked them to place a demonstration on You Tube.

Well, when you want a paddle with the above mentioned specifications, it is quite easy to realise with a set of pressure sensitive resistor pads.
Don't believe that you can transmit with the speed of your $1000 paddles.,base  made of titanium lithium palladium, silver contacts gold plated, base with a coating of secret components (as dried up Coca Cola also is) and made piece by piece (not 100 equal pieces at a row)  by an old craftsman, glasses hanging with a cord around his neck,  with incomparable (with competition) love for his products, limited edition, numbered, and with the signature of the designer engraved?

Look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U68U7jlnt-I for an extreme simple pressure sensitive resistance pad.
and tell us here whether or not you reach that level with your  expensive paddle.

Better sell it before everybody agrees that the king is naked.

Bob PAoBLAH

P.S. Somewhere I read the story  that the pressure of paddles must be adjustable independently of each other, very important blah blah just as my vanity call sign suffix. Somewhere else on you tube I found a video of adjusting with a Newton meter the pressure and adjusting them very precisely with a resolution of 0.0001 N per division to the same amount. Grin

KB3REV wrote on www.lcwo.net:

"For the price of some unetched copper covered plain circuitboards, you can make your own inexpensive paddles that are actually quite usable, and compare in functionality and feel to much more epensive paddles. It should take just an hour or two, and you can use them with your rig's encoder. I just built a single paddle yesterday and it works great! Good fun!
The board is $4.49, or 3.49 euros, which will give you enough materials for several paddles. You'll need a little more for some brass (steel would do, but is not as pretty) screws, but the whole this will be less than 10 dollars/euros.

Here's one source of the "how to:" http://www.amqrp.org/projects/paddle/NB6M%20Paddles.html, and Here's a US source of the boards: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102495. "

gd luck
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 10:10:20 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: