Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF noise Lexus RX 450h  (Read 2872 times)
K1DSP

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2011, 01:58:53 PM »

I have a 2011 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid. I'm running an FT 857-D with the ATAS 120 antenna.
On HF  I have a lot of noise. I'm running both power leads directly from the battery (fused on both leads). I've got a choke on both the antenna cable and on the power cable. The radio mount is grounded (via ground strap) directly to a body ground. On VHF and UHF I don't have a problem. With the car off I don't have a problem. When the car is running I can barely hear any stations.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks.
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 02:07:14 PM »

to paraphrase a politician...

bond baby bond...

carl - w9pmz
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 02:09:45 PM »

also google the subject...

go see k0bg.com...

there is a wealth of information on the web...

but, generally for noise it is a systematic effort of tracking down and eliminating all sources; in other words, there is no magic bullet...

carl - w9pmz
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 07:15:02 AM »

Good Luck! John Pavelich, VE3XKD, has spent countless hours getting his gen one Prius quiet enough to operate HF. There is hope perhaps.

Toyota's Synergy drive system has steadily been improved from gen one, to its present gen 3 state. However, it is still noisier than that allowed by Part 15. Unfortunately, transportation vehicles are exempt from Part 15, albeit the FCC recommends they do their best to meet the specs. Ford's, GM's (fact is, Chevy's Volt is the worse of the lot), and BMW's hybrid systems are just as RF noisy. It is just the nature of the beast. They are, after all, digital systems.

To be honest, you've added insult to injury using the ATAS. It is nearly impossible to choke the common mode current it generates. Remember too, if RF can get out, it can get in too! The interior of all hybrids, are super noisy because the electronics are stuffed hither, and yon inside the vehicle. Thus, the coax cable acts like an antenna, adding to the woes you're experiencing.

Lastly, I won't say that you can't quiet down hybrids, but I will say it takes dose of diligence to do so.

VE3XKD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 05:09:31 PM »

Hi

It is a labour of love and countless hours of work to quiet a 2004 Prius synergy drive. I have several tens of yards of 3M1181 copper foil tape and dozens of beads. However I have been rewarded with S3 noise (down from 20 over). I also had to take apart the Synergy drive and add in beads, bypass capacitors, and fix the RF leaky gasket used by Toyota. I was lucky to have access to a TEMPEST engineer to help me re-design the RF gasket and to find one that works and would fit.

I have no experience with the Lexus, but it is likely similar to the Prius.

Good luck, if you lived nearby I could help out but I am up in the land of the Frozen Chosen so to speak.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: