Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving My Documents from C; drive to D: drive in Windows 7  (Read 9261 times)
G0GQK

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2011, 02:21:55 PM »

I've looked at the help pages and I'm a little confused and would appreciate some more help and advice.
This is the sequence so far. Go to Start, then Documents, expand Documents, then click on My Documents, then Properties. In Properties click on the Location tab, below that is a box with the following "  C:\Users\Mel\Documents ".  Select and click the Move button, then, Select a Destination.  A window appears with a long dialogue box and a flashing curser, so what do I do next ? I know,I'm almost there, what do I enter in the box ?

Reading comments on Google some people then have problems and some lose the My Document file, so I'd appreciate a detailed explanation what I do next to transfer this file into D:\Users\Mel\Documents. How do I create the new D: drive file ?

Thanks in advance, Mel G0GQK
KG4LMZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 02:35:14 PM »

No matter what you do, back up at least the "My Documents" directory before you do anything else.  Back it up to a CD or DVD or thumb drive and remove the backup media from the computer before starting the move operation.  I can't help more than that, since I've never tried to move it, though I've wanted to several times.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 07:29:15 AM »

Open two my_computer windows one showing the C: directory contens with the file(s) to be moved, one showing the contents (if any) of the destination directory. Then drag and drop. If these are on two different drives, the system will perform a copy operation. Check that the destination files are intact and then delete the originals.

KF7CG
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 02:23:10 PM »

Thanks for the help,  Mel G0GQK
N9IAG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 03:22:52 PM »

With Windows 95,98,98se,me NT4, Windows 2000, and Windows xp the my documents folder is under c:\documents and settings\userid\my documents.

Userid is the account your currently logged in with, for some at home its administrator, or homeuser, or bob

When Microsoft went to Vista, then Windows7, they moved it to c:\users\userid\my documents

With the constant press and users complaining that unix / leonix, novel, mac, etc being less prone to virus attacks, Microsoft has increased security.  To eleminate a virus attack and allow the human access to the computer at the same time is nearly impossible, so they try to find a ballance.  Microsoft has reduced the posibility a virus can run, but this also means (just like unix / mac, etc.) you dont have access to all of the hard drive unless you force yourself in.

Soemtimes copying data wont go because of security.  Anything in the profile area (c:\users.....) is secured like mad.  You dont have access to all of your data let alone others or even administrator for that matter.

First make sure your copying an area you want while logged in as that user.  If you have a bob and jane account login as bob to move bobs data.  You may also need to copy and paste, not move. 

If there is a lot of data it may take sometime for the next dialoge box to appear, and it can take hours to copy the dat depending on how big it is.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 07:10:17 PM »

KF7CG went step by step through the best and easiest way to do it.
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 06:13:23 AM »

However, I believe you have to change where the My Documents folder is, otherwise in the future, it will still default to the C Drive:

Here is from MS directly (and note it will move them automatically if you want):

Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
To change the default location of the My Documents folder, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then point to My Documents.
Right-click My Documents, and then click Properties.
Click the Target tab.
In the Target box, do one of the following:
Type the path to the folder location that you want, and then click OK. For example, D:\My Stuff.

If the folder does not exist, the Create Message dialog box is displayed. Click Yes to create the folder, and then click OK.

-or-
Click Move, click the folder in which to store your documents, and then click OK twice.

If you need to create a new folder, click Make New Folder. Type a name for the folder, and then click OK twice.
In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move your documents to the new location, or click No to leave your documents in the original location.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 12:03:10 PM »

I could be wrong but I believe you will have to edit registry to make it stick. WinDoze is pretty anal about some things and expect to see some things in same locations unless it is edited otherwise in registry. The registry is the "bible" for WinDoze as it reads it during boot up to get locations and configurations.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 12:43:18 PM »

The post above yours should make the registry change permanent.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 03:21:32 PM »

The post above yours should make the registry change permanent.

"Should" anyway. I have moved volumes many times over the years but I always did it via registry to be sure.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 06:37:24 AM »

It's easy.

Goto "My Computer" and open it. 
Locate the "USERS" folder, and click on your userid.
Right-click on "My Documents" and open "Properties".
Click on the "Location" tab.
Enter where you want the folder to be in the text entry area.

...bill  nr4c
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 04:40:01 PM »

Only an idiot would allow a any program to store documents in "My Documents".  Every year I create a folder named "xxxx_2011".  EVERYTHING I save, gets saved in that yearly folder, pictures, downloaded programs, documents, etc.  That way to find something all I need to remember is about what date I saved it.  Within this folder you can search by date, file type, alphabetical name, and size.

Backing up items is even simpler as I know where to look and can easily copy to a jumpdrive or additional external HD.  This "filing" by year has worked for me from 1993 to present.  Never let bill gates tell you where he is going to save something, think for yourself.

Mike
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 12:27:21 PM »

Only an idiot would allow a any program to store documents in "My Documents". 

..."only an idiot"...  ?

Nice...i bet you have a lot of friends  Grin
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 05:50:16 PM »

Only an idiot would allow a any program to store documents in "My Documents". 

..."only an idiot"...  ?

Nice...i bet you have a lot of friends  Grin
Just admit that MS "point and click" has appealed to the masses.  Anyone who cannot figure out simple moving of files (in any Windows OS) should not be allowed computer access, much less get on the information super highway.

There are programs for people who cannot learn such things, its called LogMeIn.  My son uses it remotely to keep his mothers computer working.

I could say that only an idiot would use a cb moniker on a ham site -- but to me radio is radio and I got a cb in both my vehicles.  So I guess I am an idiot too...

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: