Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bugs or Paddles?  (Read 789 times)
K1ZC

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2002, 05:52:43 PM »

For now, I am happy to struggle along with my trusty straight key, but another fellow and I had a discussion on what type of device could send faster in the hands of a skilled operator (computers don't count).

It seems clear than an iambic paddle connected to a mode B keyer uses fewer physical movements than either a bug or a mode A keyer, but is there more to it than just physical movement?  I realize that the ability of the listener to decode the message is usually the limiting factor, but I am still curious as to which is faster as a purely academic matter.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2002, 12:46:36 PM »

Of course an electronic keyer with dual-paddle key using iambic keying is the fastest, for certain, for the same reason that Reverse Polish Notation (RPN) calculators are the fastest (compared with algabraic entry): Fewer hand movements to accomplish anything.

In the hands of a highly skilled operator, mode A or mode B electronic keying can be reliably achieved >60 wpm sustained, a speed that less than 1% of all CW operators can copy.  Bugs, requring all "dahs" made 100% manually, are much more limited.  Because iambic keying is accomplished with a small "squeeze" motion, it is less tiring than non-iambic and high speeds can be maintained longer without strain.

WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: