Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help needed hooking up new paddles  (Read 655 times)
N3WSH

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2002, 09:49:40 PM »

Just got a copy of a set of BY-2 paddles. Three rings beneath; one under each terminal, one under the post that holds the spring. How do I wire this up to a phono plug? Also...is there such a thing as a manual for the Bencher? It would be nice to have all the adjustments explained, Thanks!
N3WSH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2002, 10:19:33 PM »

Actually, while hanging out in the Elmers forum, I realized that I may have more work than I thought...I have an HD 1410 keyer, which has a phono plug provision for an auxiliary key, which I now use for a straight key. I guess I need to modify the keyer to accept a three-lead plug of some sort, or maybe...find a different sort of keyer at the hamboree Saturday...one with a jack all ready for a set of paddles...one with some memory! Thanks for helping me work through this, all you cw ops out there!
N7ZN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2002, 01:15:41 AM »

re: Bencher adjustments:
http://www.mtechnologies.com/misc/keyadj.htm
Adjusting Straight Keys, Paddles, & Bugs
        A "How-To" Article by N1FN

There is a section devoted to the  Bencher paddles.

As to keyers: they are a little spendy, but the Idiom Press Logikeyer is a gem!
Also available as a kit (the Super CMOS-3)
http://www.idiompress.com/keyers.html

vy 73 es cu on the bands

John N7ZN
AG4PV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2002, 04:11:13 PM »

Hi,
If the "super cmos 3" is a bit stiff for your pocketbook, the Jackson Harbor PK3 kit can be had for a fraction of the price.
Info here:

http://www.morsex.com/jhp/index.htm#pk2

It doesn't have quite all the features of the sc3, but I like the one I built as a beginner keyer.

It also builds nicely into an Altoids tin. Wink

Cheers,
--Bob Spaulding
AG4PV
WA0KZL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2002, 08:05:58 AM »

I've owned and used the Heathkit HD-1410 keyer for many many years and even with the built-in (poor) paddles, it is a very simple and easy-to-use keyer. The Iambic and "Squeeze-keying" feature makes sending "Near-Perfect" CW an easy chore AFTER some practice.I use mine with Bencher Iambic Paddles also.

At one time, I put together a paddle made with a hacksaw blade, used it like a side swiper and hooked the "Dah" to the lever and the "Dit" to the dit side of the keyer and used the thing like it was a bug. Manual Dahs and electronically generated Dits.... It sounded like a real "BUG" and worked GREAT !!!

For the $50 they cost when they first came out, it is probably one of the best buys I ever made in radio equipment. AND it works on 12 vdc or 120 vac .  I still own and use one of them.

Wiring one up to use with and outboard lever is very simple. Use an ohm meter, find which post is "Ground". One post is for the "Dah" and the other side is for the "Dit"... Hook them up accordingly.

Wire up a 3 connector plug to match the rig you will be using it in, making sure the dit and dah is hooked up correctly by using the lever to "key" the rig and you're home free...

My IC-706 mkII has a provision in it so I can reverse the dits/dahs within the rigs programing, your rig might have the same feature.

At any rate, the HD-1410 is (in my opinion) as good a keyer as there is on the market and a lot cheaper.

Good Luck and GOOD CW.... I Love It !!!
73's
de Tex / WA0KZL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: