Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW help  (Read 593 times)
KJ7OT

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2002, 02:03:33 PM »

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about starting to become a CW op. I have used paddles before to practice sending and recieving. However, what do I actually need to get in order to send on the air? I am planning on using a Kenwood TS-520, and am thinking about getting bencher paddles. All comments are welcome.
73 de Ryan KJ7OT
AF4QZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2002, 06:33:35 PM »

I use a Viboplex Iambic keyer and have enjoyed it tremendously.

You will probably need to buy an electronic keyer for your rig. I don't think the 520's have them built in.

Hope this helps!

Adam AF4QZ
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2002, 09:49:17 AM »

The 520 is a great rig for a new HF Ham.  The 6146 finals are forgiving, and by learning to tune the rig, you get a first hand look at how resonance really works.  If you want to use paddles, you will need a keyer, but you can stick a straight key right into the key plug on the rear of the radio, and in my opinion, a straight key is the way a new CW op should start because you are forced to make the characters properly, and space them properly or else you sound terrible.  This is a good thing.  When you get above 15 wpm, you can get some paddles.  Practice your sending off the air, but the only way to really make progress is to get in there and make some contacts!  You will do terribly at first, but be patient and hang in there, and you will feel great when you recognize that you are making progress. Just try to remember what the elements of a CW QSO are...callsigns, RST's, names, QTH's, what kind of rig you are using, the power, the antenna, your weather, your job, how long you've been a Ham...when you get comfortable with the basics, then you can branch out as you get used to things.  Be patient with yourself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: