Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: newbie question  (Read 653 times)
ZEROZAPPA

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2001, 03:20:35 PM »

The short of it:
  Can I send CW with a handheld Yaesu VX-5?

The long of it:

I'm going to be trying for my Technician license either this weekend or two weeks from it.

I'm primarily interested in small handheld radios for outdoor activities, and I wanted something more than what the two-way FRS radios offer - so I got interested in ham.  A handheld radio would also be convenient in any sort of emergency where cell phones may not work.  Well, ok, I'm preaching to the choir here I guess.

I bought a Yaesu VX-5 online, figuring that I could learn a little more by listening in a little.  I figured I'd try out listening to CW (I've been practicing for a while with NuMorse, and can make it through most of the tutorials so far).

The thing is, there's nothing in the manual about sending CW...I figured it'd be possible by using the PTT button.  Maybe there's a setting to set it up to send a tone whenever it's transmitting???

And, I will not (of course) be sending out any garbled attempts at CW until I've gotten my license and feel that I can reliably transmit an understandable message...

Thanks for the info,
Cary
KG4OLK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2001, 04:20:21 PM »

In my experiences, there is very little CW activity in the FM mode, which is what your VX-5R will run.  I think you have the right idea, using the PTT as a key, but i don't think it has any kind of tone to transmit.  You might build some kind of tone generator from parts...and hold it up to the mike as you key.

I'd start out on 6 meters if I were you.
Hope these tips help.

73 de Jake, KG4OLK
KG6FUT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2001, 11:27:31 AM »

try this page:
http://www.arrl.org/members-ly/tis/info/pdf/9707053.pdf

KD5MSY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2002, 04:55:45 PM »

Cary, I looked on Yeasu's web page and found the "vx-5r" which has a EXTERNAL mic jack. If thie vx-5 has it then this may be right up your alley.  This will let you plug the keyer strait into your HT and will key it up for you and every thing. I have discussed this wish some VE's in my area and some others and am going to try and get a local VHF code pratice group going.If you build this, email me at "KD5MSY@Yahoo.com" and let me know how it turns out. I am studing for the code test as well, altho it sounds like your farther ahead than I am "Just started". I am going to experiment and see if i can put a speaker in it and use it as a pratice osocilator off the air.  From "what I have been told", dont hold me to it, you can pratice on any of the bands that you have rights to such as 6mtrs and up, if you have a tech ticket, "sounds kinda funny tho"
Like i said let me know if this helps out and if it works. Im going to try and build mine this weekend i will post again if it works...
http://www.rason.org/Projects/fmkeyer/fmkeyer.htm

Best of luck, 73
Robert Howell
KD5MSY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: