Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are some of the better 20/15/10 meter Beams?  (Read 7420 times)
WA7HJV

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2011, 10:12:48 AM »

Greetings,

I haven't had an HF beam up for about 10 years but am now ready to do so.
My last beam was a TA-33M which I had up for 17 years and had no problems with it. Is there anything that is about the same size that will out perform the TA-33?

Thank you in advance.

Jack WA7HJV
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 10:17:59 AM »

If you want to stay with the standard 3 element yagi, I think one of the best is the Mosley Classic 33.  It is the "big brother" to the TA-33.  It is also a bit "pricy" when compared to some other brands.  There are other choices, but to beat the Classic 33's performance you will have to go with something with more than 3 active elements.

I am sure you will get many other opinions.

Dick  AD4U
WA7HJV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 10:30:45 AM »

Thank you Dick.

I will check out the classic 33.

Jack WA7HJV
W8AD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 12:49:08 PM »

Hi Jack,

I agree with AD4U. I got on the DXCC Honor Roll (1980-1990, then time constraints caused me to drop off) with a Classic-33 and a modest amplifier, at about 1 kW or less. There are many excellent beam designs out there, but the Classic-33 worked great for me, particularly considering its small size.

Don, W8AD
WA7HJV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 03:46:21 PM »

Don,

I checked it out and I think I am sold on it.

Thank you for the input.

Jack WA7HJV
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 07:12:45 PM »

Before you jump on the Mosley, check out the Hygain TH-3MK4
http://www.texastowers.com/hygain_th3mk4.htm

Much better constructed mechanically and although the specs are similar it "plays" better on the air.

Mel - KS2G
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 06:29:07 PM »

For 11 meters....errr  I mean 10 meters a MoonRaker 6 is the bomb!!  LOLOLOL Grin Grin
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 02:01:21 PM »

Jack,

If you haven't taken the plunge yet, I would suggest checking out the Force 12 lineup. I have a Force 12 (old company before being sold to the Texas guys) C3S. It is a variant of there classic C3 workhorse which many hams use. There are a couple of things I like about it that stand out as being somewhat radical in design.

1) No hose clamps.

Each element section is riveted to the next one making a single solid and very flexible element. Easy to assemble and put up. 2 people put my C3S in a couple of hours. Also we get lots of winds here in the Mojave Desert of SoCAL and my C3S flys right through the windstorms with no problems at all.

2) No traps or linear loading.

Well they do have a C3SS version that uses linear loading but the rest of their lineup is direct feed no traps full size elements. My C3S has 3 sets of 2 element yagis on a single boom.

3) Open sleeve feed point

Coax is fed to the 20M element and the 15M and 10M elements are close spaced and coupled to the 20M driven element. Some models are set up so you can run individual feed lines per band.

4) Light weight. easily mounts to a small tower and turns with mid size rotors.

I have my C3S on a 36 foot light duty tower and has never had a moments problem.

The prices are a bit more than some other antennas but I think that Force 12 antennas are in the top 5% of all ham antennas on the market.  Google 'Force 12 antennas' and take a look. I think you'll be impressed by the quality and design.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 10:38:32 AM »

FWIW,

I wouldn't give MFU any money for any of their antennas, especially the ones they "bought" with their purchase of hy-gain
or Cushcraft.  They are cost-reducing all products they acquire.  They don't buy parts from the same suppliers the original manufacturer used AND their kits usually have missing parts, screws, clamps, etc.  I was burned on a Hy-gain vertical which came with improperly threaded aluminum rods (took 6 weeks to get replacements) and several hams I know had similar experiences with the Hy-gain beams.  I am glad I bought my Cushcraft antenna before they sold out.

Buy the Mosley,

Greg
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 05:08:38 PM »

Consider a Tennadyne LPDA - 5 bands for the price of 3 - Look at the T-6 which will compete with Mosleys for less money.  Less than $600 delivered - no traps means no trap loss and no tuning - does well in storms (mine survived the Ice Storm of 2009 with 2" of radial ice) - and when the DXexpidtion goes to 17M you have a directional antenna when most do not.

Clint - W5CPT
K4FX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 04:56:25 PM »

Clint has a good point.

If I could do it all over again, I would have put up something for WARC bands as well as 20-15-10,

I have an A4 that has been perfect for 11 years, no issues. But it seems here in the past few years more and more DX is spotted on 17 and 12 meters. Once you are spoiled by a yagi, it just ain't the same on a dipole.
K8KAS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 03:38:59 PM »

Can't believe you guys forgot the  Hy-Gain  TH6 and TH7DXX I had two of them and they cooked. The CL33 was a winner as well like others have mentioned. There were 3 or 4 other good antennas in the Toledo area and we often shot it out, the TH6DXX at 75 feet was hard to beat even by a good wide spaced 20 meter mono band-er at the same height...The CL 33 was clean looking and less to handle on the tower than the TH6DXX. The F/B and F/S was much better on the TH6DXX , signal reports were very close...73 Denny K8KAS
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 06:22:47 AM »

Dud.
W7VO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 02:36:09 PM »

javascript:void(0); Tom, are you implying that the TH6DXX is a dud? I have had one here for years, it has handled wind and ice that would have broken other antennas to pieces. Mine is third hand, and is probably 40 years old!

I can't vouch as to other antennas, but IF YOU HAVE ROOM and a STOUT tower and rotator (24 foot boom and 75 lbs in the air..), it is hard to beat a TH6. They go for pretty cheap on the used market.....
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 10:37:27 PM »

Dud.

HUH?   Kindly specify just WHAT you consider a dud.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: