Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1960's era VHF car radio converter info  (Read 2378 times)
W0FM

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2011, 01:45:44 PM »

I'm trying to get some information on a converter that allowed my AM car radio to receive VHF public safety channels and I'm coming up blank.  The little aluminum box was about 2x2x3" and had a single switch (In/Out) on the front.  The rear panel had a Motorola auto radio type jack, a 24" length of coax with a Motorola automotive plug on the end and a stranded wire for 12VDC.  The coax from the converter plugged into the car's AM broadcast antenna jack and the car antenna plugged into the back of this converter.  The front end was as wide as a barn door, but it worked.

I think it was about 1960 or so.  Can anyone remember a converter like this?  Any help with the brand name or model number would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Terry, WØFM
WU0R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 03:38:37 PM »

RME made stuff like that...the 152A was one, there were a host of others...you might e-mail Glen K9STH, he kinda plays and dealt with that stuff...

http://www.qsl.net/la5ki/org/rm/vhf152a.htm

K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 05:48:35 PM »

Terry, there were dozens of those converters available back then. 

Even the old JC Whitney auto parts catalogs had them (along with the underdash 45rpm record players....).

Ah, memories.......(hi)!

73, Jim/k7unz

KJ6EAD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 06:38:13 PM »

Do any of these look familiar?
http://k9sth.com/uploads/Converter_collection-1.pdf
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 06:50:28 PM »

I had one, but it didn't look like any of the photos. This was in the early 70s. I also had a Gonset Super 6 in my dad's car when I was in high school. Neat little converter. I drove my parents batty with it on trips.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 12:30:07 PM »

Jim, I bought a lot of car stuff from J.C. Whitney, so that could be a possibility.  I cannot get K9STH's photo .pdf to open in either IE or Firefox so haven't had a look there yet.

WU0R, I had some RME converters at our high school radio club and it was definately not of that high calibre.  This is your basic aluminum Bud box enclosure.  Very plain.

Thanks for everyone's input.  I'll keep you posted on my search.

Terry, WØFM
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 10:46:54 AM »

I was finally able to look at the K9STH site again and the International Crystal converter appears to be the closest physically to what I had (but mine didn't have "Mobileer" written across the front).  So mine was probably a variation of the International Crystal version.  Thanks everyone.

The search continues......

Terry, WØFM
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 01:51:03 PM »

hi, know this won't help, but I had an audiovox fm converter I used to use in my 69 dodge coronet with the bendix am radio in it . The thing worked great, wasn't fm stero , but with the bendix radio it would pick up all over. Not much bigger than a penlight battery but was pretty cool .don't know if audiovox made converters for other bands , but it  worked good, connected beween car antenna and am radio , think you had to tune to 1600 kc on am , use to set button and be all set for fm , cool at time . kg4ymc by the way audivox used to make good radios and stuff, don't know if they still are good or not , bendix was great also, but had to put havey duty output transiter in am radio in dodge , for some reason kept going out , use to have to drop part of  ac ductwork to get radio out .... ah the memories... Grin
KJ6EAD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 03:37:08 AM »

More findings:

International Crystal Manufacturing Co., Inc. advertisement in Amateur Radio, October, 1960.
http://www.scancat.com/73s-Sample.pdf

Thread on converters from QRZ.
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?275078-Vacuum-tube-down-converters&s=4230e39b4f49bf5037a7a99866f6c6d8

International Crystal's current website.
http://www.icmfg.com/
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 11:53:07 AM »

Nice find, Dave.  This is a better pic of the International Crystal unit than what I had found.  I'm pretty sure that's the converter I had.  Maybe it was wearing a different brand name at the time, but it had the slide switch, power lead and antenna conectors on both ends (In and Out) just like that.  Thanks for taking time to look and remember this post for me.

Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: