Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Williams Arizona Hamfest  (Read 19950 times)
KC7MF

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2011, 01:13:05 PM »

Just pointing out that this Hamfest was scheduled to begin on a Friday.  I'm sure this suits the organizers just fine but it is very selfish.  Williams is close enough to Phoenix and other Norther AZ cities that many people from Phoenix might choose to attend.  Not on a work day however.  New and younger hams would probably be the most effected.  Sure the old folks like me will get first shot at the stuff for sale but that is discouraging for the people who might only be able to attend on Saturday.  Some of them are the ones who might benefit most from catching a bargain. 

We go to Hamfests for the Swapmeet mostly.  Who wants to attend after everything has been picked-over? 

This is another example (subtle though it may be) of how we are not very accommodating to new hams.  Perhaps next year they might think about this.  If they want two days then fine.  But make Saturday the Swapmeet.   
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 03:21:40 PM »

I would not set foot to Williams Arizona even if they were giving away free radios.

K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 07:56:58 PM »

Dayton starts on Friday every year.

W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 10:06:56 AM »

I would not set foot to Williams Arizona even if they were giving away free radios.

Methinks there is more to this than is being told Wink Ex-wife live there Huh Warrant for your arrest Huh Inquiring minds would like to know Smiley

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 04:10:42 PM »

Methinks there is more to this than is being told Wink Ex-wife live there Huh Warrant for your arrest Huh Inquiring minds would like to know Smiley

Yes...Me too.  What's the problem there?  I've spent time there before, took the train from Williams to the Grand Canyon and enjoyed my time in the area.... on more than one occasion, too.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 09:48:54 AM »

Went to pilot training there in '83, back when it was an Air Force base. Loved it there, sad when I had to leave.  I'll set foot there again anytime.

KB7LOQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 03:19:36 PM »

The William's hamfest is shrinking each year and needs to be moved back to Flagstaff with either a one or two day meet.  Very few sellers at Williams this year, less than previous years.  Only about three new sellers showed up on Saturday.  More buyers showed up on Saturday than Friday, but I am sure they were disappointed with the few number of sellers and the small variety of ham items for sale. Additionally, the Williams venue is horrible, no paving, grass or trees, just large gravel covered with dried horse manure.  It's not a fun place to be at.  If it's at Williams next year, I will just go up Friday and not bother with Saturday.

The initial move from Flagstaff to Williams was controversial within the Arizona ham community.  At the time, the declining number of hamfest vendors, sellers and attendees made continuing the hamfest at Flagstaff (Coconino County Fairgrounds) cost prohibitive.  The powers that be chose Williams as a less costly alternative.  However, with the steady attendance decline at Williams combined with the poor conditions, the hamfest may be dead in a year or two.

I know we can't have the good old days of the three day hamfest extravaganza at the old Coconino County Fairgrounds, but at least another venue in Flagstaff should be considered.  We may not get the attendance of yesteryear's, but more people will go to Flagstaff if it was moved back there.  I hope this can be successfully resolved, as there are no other summer hamfests in Arizona to satisfy my boatanchor addiction.

Art  KB7LOQ
K7CB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 07:50:24 PM »

Just pointing out that this Hamfest was scheduled to begin on a Friday.  I'm sure this suits the organizers just fine but it is very selfish.  Williams is close enough to Phoenix and other Norther AZ cities that many people from Phoenix might choose to attend.  Not on a work day however.  New and younger hams would probably be the most effected.  Sure the old folks like me will get first shot at the stuff for sale but that is discouraging for the people who might only be able to attend on Saturday.  Some of them are the ones who might benefit most from catching a bargain. 

We go to Hamfests for the Swapmeet mostly.  Who wants to attend after everything has been picked-over? 

This is another example (subtle though it may be) of how we are not very accommodating to new hams.  Perhaps next year they might think about this.  If they want two days then fine.  But make Saturday the Swapmeet.   

When the hamfest was at Ft. Tuthill in Flagstaff, didn't it start on Friday as well?  When I lived in Phoenix, my friends and I would drive up on Friday just to meet up with friends and have a good time.  Then we would drive back down to Phoenix in the afternoon only to turn around and go up to Flagstaff again on Saturday.

I went to that Hamfest pretty much every year from 1997 through 2002 and I didn't see any declining numbers.  If there were, it was subtle.  But any decline has increased considerably since moving it to Williams so I will agree that move was a mistake.  My friends and I attended a few of the Williams Hamfests hoping they would get better each year.  Sadly, that hasn't been the case and we haven't been now in several years.
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 03:28:47 PM »

As one that never went to the Tuthill hamfest I have no opinion abt that venue. But with the move of the ARRL AZ state convention to the Yuma hamfest that has pretty much killed the Williams fest. what few commercial vendors that might come will now go to Yuma for the bigger crowds. I have no plans to go back to Williams unless something drastic changes.

Dan
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 12:01:26 PM »

As one that never went to the Tuthill hamfest I have no opinion abt that venue. But with the move of the ARRL AZ state convention to the Yuma hamfest that has pretty much killed the Williams fest. what few commercial vendors that might come will now go to Yuma for the bigger crowds. I have no plans to go back to Williams unless something drastic changes.

Dan

Even Yuma is failing.  This year the only large manufacturer was Flex.  Last year Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu were there along with Flex.  Also, HRO was present in 2012 and absent this year.

I know I'm going to cut back on my attendance at Yuma in the future.  The last two years, I've driven over from San Diego on Friday (the event starts at noon on Friday) and returned Sunday morning.  I decided this year there is really no incentive to stay beyond Saturday afternoon.  One doesn't have to be present to win any of the big door prizes and the "Buzzard BBQ" dinner on Saturday evening left a bit to be desired. 
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 08:48:26 AM »

Well there is a few reasons the move from Tuthill happened and one was cost to rent the grounds.  The County wanted more $$ every year making it less profitable for ARCA. 

So if you want to go to a hamfest that is going to grow and grow (we hope) try the Superstition Amateur Radio Club.  It is going to be held at Schnepf Farms during early December.  Google 147.12 for the link to the club.  It is being planned as a family affair with all the things that you can do there at Schnepf Farms.  Google that and you will see what I mean.

Rick  WN2C
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 04:56:09 PM »

Well there is a few reasons the move from Tuthill happened and one was cost to rent the grounds.  The County wanted more $$ every year making it less profitable for ARCA. 

So if you want to go to a hamfest that is going to grow and grow (we hope) try the Superstition Amateur Radio Club.  It is going to be held at Schnepf Farms during early December.  Google 147.12 for the link to the club.  It is being planned as a family affair with all the things that you can do there at Schnepf Farms.  Google that and you will see what I mean.

Rick  WN2C

I looked this up and the location is only 23 miles North of where my in-laws live in Florence.  I just might come over and check it out...
K7CB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 05:02:06 PM »

Rick  WN2C
Yes, costs were going up...but I'd rather pay a little more to have a Hamfest in a great location with plenty of parking and swap meet space, several buildings for vendors and lots of shade trees instead of paying less for a Hamfest that doesn't have any appeal.  While I like Williams itself as a tourist stop because of its location on old Route 66, it doesn't really have much else to offer.  Flagstaff does - such as more motels and more restaurants.  Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon are also close by - making for an easy afternoon excursion after spending the morning hours at the Hamfest.  If any attempt were made to have the Hamfest in Flagstaff, whether it was at the fairgrounds or some other venue, I would make a serious attempt at going.  As it stands now - it isn't worth my effort.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: