Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally!...someone actually signing portable so I could tell where they were!  (Read 3031 times)
W2MV

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2011, 10:53:08 AM »

I heard a K2*** in 7 land sign /7!

This has been a pet peeve ever since the FCC removed the requirement to sign portable, and they let everyone keep their call signs no matter which call district they move to: hams on HF rarely sign portable (/) and you can't tell just from the call sign where they are located.
I don't know how many times I've heard a "2" station working DX and I therefore think the band is open from where I am, but upon further investigation I realize that that ham is 2 or 3 thousand miles away and there is no opening. I take call signs/locations with a grain of salt now, however, some intelligence associated with a ham's call has been lost in the process. That's too bad. It's similar to keeping your area code on your cell when you move across the country...or locally when you keep your land-line exchange even though you've moved far away within the same area code....deregulation gone too far!
Oh, well...just venting. I suppose signing portable just doesn't occur to many people, or it's too much trouble.

W2MV
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 12:38:31 PM »

Would you like a wedge of cheese? Smiley

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 02:35:26 PM »

I agree. I`m sure it drives dx crazy too. Imagine being a UA0 station trying to work NJ/NY only to find out he just got CA or AZ! Including KH6/KL7 stations too.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 03:06:24 PM »

Guess what, folks? The vast majority of DX stations are just as computerized as we are and their logging program has looked up the call sign before they call the station.

In the real world, this is a non-issue.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 07:44:12 PM »

I agree. I`m sure it drives dx crazy too.

Me too, and doubly on VHF where antennas are highly directional and openings are fleeting.   
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 09:52:40 PM »

MV:  As long as we're "venting" I'd like to put my two cents in.  I agree with you 100% about the call area thingy..... but what really frosts my ass are the prefixes the FCC is now assigning stations. 

Half the time I hear a KF2 or something similar, it grabs my attention only to find out it isn't a DX station! 

Oh well, waddaya expect these days?

STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 11:59:54 PM »

Guess what, folks? The vast majority of DX stations are just as computerized as we are and their logging program has looked up the call sign before they call the station.

In the real world, this is a non-issue.

Quite true! I changed my first name on QRZ.COM to Bozo, and guess what the next DX station called me Bozo!
The strange thing is that they called me that before I changed the name on QRZ.com.
I am still trying to figure it out!

73s
KF6E

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 05:48:50 AM »

But I'm not operating portable; I'm operating fixed at the location printed on my FCC license.  Why would I sign portable when I'm not?  If I were to visit some other location, I'd sign as portable.  Should I operate as portable when I'm at my Maryland QTH, listed on my license, but not when I travel to California, where I would, in fact, be portable?

The problem is that the FCC no longer requires ham calls to reflect the old call area structure.  This changed some time ago.

Frank
KF6E
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 07:49:44 AM »

But I'm not operating portable; I'm operating fixed at the location printed on my FCC license.  Why would I sign portable when I'm not?  If I were to visit some other location, I'd sign as portable.  Should I operate as portable when I'm at my Maryland QTH, listed on my license, but not when I travel to California, where I would, in fact, be portable?

The problem is that the FCC no longer requires ham calls to reflect the old call area structure.  This changed some time ago.

Frank
KF6E

My sentiments, exactly.

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 10:06:55 AM »

I changed my first name on QRZ.COM to Bozo, and guess what the next DX station called me Bozo!
The strange thing is that they called me that before I changed the name on QRZ.com.
I am still trying to figure it out!

"I think we're all Bozos on this bus"

---

Seriously, though, how much does having the call match the area really tell you?

Take 4-land - it extends from the southern tip of Florida to the northwest corner of Kentucky. Lots of distance and area in there. Or 0-land: western Colorado to eastern North Dakota. 7-land is enormous: Northwestern corner of Washington State to eastern Montana and southeastern Arizona.

73 de Jim, N2EY
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 10:10:22 AM »

It changed more than 32 years ago! I know because, when I moved back to EPA from WNY, I was able to keep my 2 land call.

--

Which is worse:

Not having the call match the area

or

Requiring hams who move a lot to constantly change their callsigns?   

73 de Jim, N2EY
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 12:35:18 PM »

Next thing you know they will be issuing KH2-- to NJ/NY!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 12:42:53 PM »

And what's the matter of simply verifying their location?  All too often the contact is "5-9-9 and 73."  For crying out loud, lets start TALKING to each other again!
K4EQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 06:04:05 PM »

Get over it. What's it been . . . 35 years now since that requirement was removed? My very first transmission after establishing contact with someone includes my QTH. And as someone else said, most people, including DX stations, have Internet and can tell immediately where you're located. What's the point in identifying the group of states in which you're located? Shucks, we should just ask the FCC to issue up to two numbers in call signs: each state identified by a number. Would that make everyone happy? Some of us move frequently and are grateful the requirement to change call signs was changed. I went from an 8-call (K8WHB) to a 9-call (W9NXD) to an 8-call (NJ8X) to a 4-call. When I got this one when the vanity calls came out in in 1996 (we lived in Virginia then), I decided I would keep it the rest of my life. We now live in Iowa.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: