Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maybe you're a lid if...  (Read 4701 times)
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 01:07:48 PM »

>Rick VE3FMC: If you want to set up a sked for Olivia on 40 let me know.

Thanks, I just may take you up on that.  I'm assuming I can contact you at your email listed on qrz?  Btw, I see from your picture on qrz that you are using the FT-950....same rig I am using.

Carlton

Carlton my email is good at QRZ, send me an email and we will set up a sked.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 01:10:04 PM »

If I ask you what equipment your station consists of and you simply macro back
"73, Thanks for this digital contact on XX/XX/2011"

I hate when I try to get a conversation going and someone does that to me. IMO there are two reasons for this.

1. The guy can't type so all he uses are marcos to make contacts. I can understand this with foreign contacts. But when you work a fellow VE3 and this happens, LID.

2. The guy can not carry on a conversation, so he operates digital and only uses macros.

Either way, LID......................

3. He can't remember which key has the "my station" macro assigned.  Grin

Now that's funny right there! and you are likely 100 % correct. If they do not want to rag chew maybe they should try JT65. If all they are interested in is filling log pages that is the mode to use. I know, my log is filling up. However I like the mode because I like to see where my signal is being heard by logging onto the JT65 HF RB data site.

Once winter comes I will be getting back on Olivia for some 40/80 meter rag chews.

So, you are saying that anyone who doesn't rag chew is a LID? 

No, but if someone asks you a question, whether it be about your station, QTH etc you should at least have the decency to answer it. Much like talking to someone in person, if they asked you a simple question would you simply just walk away?
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 10:27:36 AM »

..Lid as a verb?  As in: he's really lidding today, he lidded his way thru the pile up,  to lid is devine, he likes to lid,  he done did lid yesterday etc. etc.
WB6RQN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 12:05:13 PM »

I am a rag chewer. I use PACTOR-3 to move data sometimes. Sometimes I just do a quick QSO using macros to get a contact in a new country I haven't contacted before. I build antennas. I build radios. I like frequency measurement tests but can't be bothered with contesting ... except Field Day. I can sit for hours collecting data on ionospheric propagation from WWV and CHU.

I am not a lid.

73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL
QRP4U2

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 10:58:57 AM »

Another definition of a LID; a SSB'er who runs so much compression on his transceiver and so much input power into his LEEENYER that he sounds like a "Transformer" character.

And, you can hear the warbling 60 Hz effect of the power supply voltage dipping when he hits peaks.

Phil - AC0OB
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 11:11:41 AM by QRP4U2 » Logged

AC0OB - A Place Where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: