Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pictures of Shelves in Shacks  (Read 10159 times)
NS8Q

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2011, 10:08:34 AM »

This may seem like a dumb question, but is there a running post displaying different pictures of peoples shacks and the shelves they use to support their radios, tuners, etc.?  I am trying to come up with a good design to fit on one of the small 2x4 fold-up tables.  I have an HF Rig, MFJ Tuner, LCD Flat Panel Monitor, a couple different iambic paddles, an external keyer, external speaker, TigerTronics USB Computer Interface, and some other miscellaneous items.

Thanks,
CHRIS / KC8CAJ
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 11:31:59 AM »

Chris, I don't know about on eHam, but one of my favorite places to get station layout ideas is from this page:

http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/SO2R/K8ND_SO2R.htm

Most of these guys have a lot of gear, though. 

I use a keyboard tray for my keyboard and paddles, put everything else up on the table and shelves above that.  That won't work for you, though, I don't think.  A common technique is to build a low shelf for the radio(s) and other frequently-adjusted boxes that the keys and keyboard can slide underneath.  If you are an ARRL member, there is a nice picture of N5AW and his setup in the ARRL DX contest results from August 2011 QST.
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 01:24:02 PM »

Hi Chris...

Plug my call into the look-up box and you'll see what I use.

Simple construction.  It's all 3/4" plywood, including the "desk" itself, which is just a hardboard covered slab on two 2-drawer file cabinets.

Power outlet strip runs down the top, back edge of the desk for the radios, and the rear of the shelving has 1/2" aluminum trim strips running along each self, connected to the station ground, for equipment grounding.

With the equipment you listed, I really think you'll need something more substantial then a 2x4 fold-up table to hold it.  It's really the "fold-up" part that would worry me....hi!

Anyway, my set up is just to give you an idea.

Have fun...

73, Jim/k7unz
NS8Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 06:56:44 PM »

Jim,

Did you use wood screws or nails for your shelves?

Chris
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 05:08:42 AM »

Chris, if you go to the "Show off you station" thread, you can find the link to a pix of my desk.  I used a standard office for years, with various risers to hold the ever growing equipment inventory.  The picture shows the latest riser.  I sketched out the shelves i needed using grid paper.  It's made from 3/4" sheet of sanded birch plywood.  I had Home Depot rip the sheet along it's length into the width I needed which was 14". Then it was just a simple task to cut the 8' strips into the shelf size pieces I needed.  The shelf was glued, and screwed using square drive cabinet screws.  Before painting, I applied a 3/4" edge banding veneer to all exposed lamination edges.  The edge banding has a hot melt glue pre applied to the back.  It was attached using a very hot clothes iron protected by a layer of aluminum foil.  The result really finishes off the shelf. Building it yourself allows you to customize it to fit your specifications.
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 07:13:10 AM »

Screws....makes it easier to readjust the shelves should the need arise (hi).

Jim/k7unz
VK2FJCM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 08:42:30 PM »

Hi Chris,
I used some scrap MDF to make hutches to sit on top of an L shaped desk I had previously restored. The hutches are coated with a couple of layers of estapol. I did most of the joinery using bisquits and reinforced with screws where necessary. Plug my call sign into QRZ and you can see it there. I have hutches on both sides of the desk now and made up a connecting piece between them to store even more gear as well as regular office equipment. Egonomically it works well particularly if I am at the desk for a while.
Future plans are to put the whole lot on rollers so I can move the desk to get to the cabling behind it which can be a challenge at times. I have had most of my gear for a while now and knew the dimensions I needed however I would make it more modular or adjustable if I had to do it again to make way for future changes in equipment.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 08:48:25 PM by VK2FJCM » Logged
NS8Q

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 08:14:15 AM »

Here is a picture of what I am planning to build.  Looking at the way the two boards come together to form a corner, and if I wanted to countersink the screws with a special bit, what is the best way to drill through both boards at once?

http://i51.tinypic.com/a5ixrs.png

I've decided to use a 1x12 Quality Pine or White wood board which is surfaced on four sides and ready to use.  I talked with someone at Johnson's Workbench locally and they are recommending I use a #6 x 1-1/2" wood screw with glue to make sure the joints are as strong as possible.  I personally feel that if I use (4) screws at each intersection, the joint will be plenty strong without using the glue too.  What does everyone else think?

Oh, I almost forgot, the monitor will sit on the right with the radio, tuner, keyer, etc on the left.

Thanks for everyone's input,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 08:19:18 AM by KC8CAJ » Logged
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 08:52:11 AM »

Chris...

I know 1"x12" is a readily available (standard) board size, but as mentioned previously by K3GM, a 14" surface is definitely preferable.

Mine are 14", and even then I'm pushing the limit to keep all the feet of the larger stuff on the shelf.

By the way, Angelo....very nice work on the shelving!

Jim/k7unz
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 08:59:39 AM by K7UNZ » Logged
NS8Q

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 11:23:58 AM »

Why thank you Jim.  I use a program called Google SketchUp.  We use it a lot in the concrete construction industry for modeling different types of structures.

My HF rig is only 9" deep and the tuner is 10".  I will not be purchasing something larger...even though my wife is now a Ham, she may not spring for the cost of the larger rigs!! I bought this one before I met her so it was "grand-fathered" in!  Hi Hi Smiley

Chris
KC9UKH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 11:41:15 AM »

Thanks for posting this, guys.... lot'sa great info!   Smiley

KC9UKH, Scott.
WD4MTW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 10:05:45 PM »

If you have your table against a wall, there's always the option of using track shelving.  The only place I could set up a shack was in a closet. The track shelving that I bought was pretty heavy duty steel with heavily cast brackets. Mounting the tracks on each stud created shelves that could bear quite a bit of weight. Placing a piece of copper tubing on the back of each shelf cut to it's length fastened with screws and wall clamps to both the shelf and the tracks gives added side to side rigidity and makes a great buss bar using self tapping screws and coax braid with crimped fasteners on each end to your equipment.
N2UGB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 12:56:23 AM »

I don't have much. Two FT-857 rigs, and an LDG meter for them. A power supply is on the floor. I bought a shoe storage thing mean't to sit on the floor. Has two shelves. Bought at Home Depot. Already painted white. Cost ten bucks. Ten minutes to screw it together. Top shelf for gear, second shelf for extra stuff. Plenty of clearance below that bottom shelf for paddle, stationary, etc. Sits on small desk. Works for me. Older photo on QRZ but same shelf system.

Forget it if you have a boast-and-brag collection of big rigs. This thing won't support them.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 12:59:56 AM by N2UGB » Logged
W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 08:07:12 PM »

Good topic and great ideas in reply. My wish is that I had the room to walk behind the shelves. Sure would relieve the frustration of the cable zoo. Early planning for such is advised.

73 and have fun,
Russ
N5XO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 06:08:15 PM »

Go to n5xo you tube channel. I have a video of a dozen or so ham shacks in our club,also a second video of my ham shack.

That should help you out.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: