Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: August UHF+ contest  (Read 3170 times)
KC9QQM

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2011, 11:46:11 AM »

Just a quick question. In the UHF contest and for that matter VHF contests, are most contesters using SSB or FM?  I am thinking about going out to a local state park and setting up my little antenna and HT but I only can work FM.

Jeff
KC9QQM
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 11:49:36 AM »

SSB
W1LVL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 05:38:05 AM »

SSB, and CW. Contacts can be made on FM Simplex. Some contest stations do monitor the calling frequency and then shift to a different simplex frequency to make the contact

George W1LVL
KC9QQM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 12:59:18 PM »

Had not gotten back to my own post!

If that be the case, meaning it normally is SSB and CW, is a horizontally polarized antenna also more of the norm? I have built a new dual band J-pole for 2m and 440 but of course it is a vertical.

Thanks,

Jeff
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 10:45:46 PM »

Had not gotten back to my own post!

If that be the case, meaning it normally is SSB and CW, is a horizontally polarized antenna also more of the norm? I have built a new dual band J-pole for 2m and 440 but of course it is a vertical.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

Yes horizontal is the norm and very few if any mess with FM during a contest. If there are multiple ops, perhaps one may monitor the calling freq as mentioned but being a single op single radio station, I surely don't mess with it as I haven't the time too.

You would probably be much better off to use a small multiband mobile like a FT-100/FT-897/IC-706 or such as a portable if you planon going out to a park. But then for UHF you'd be limited to 70cm at that rate.

Good Luck,

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: