Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WOULD YOU BELIVE, HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED?  (Read 2365 times)
KG4YMC

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2011, 08:21:21 AM »

HI, folks, someone was talking about the old  J. C. WHITNEY  CATALOGS,they sold everthing from magic pills that could rebuild your worn out engine , to, get this folks. FAKE CELL PHONES SO YOU COULD IMPRESS YOUR FRIENDS LIKE A REAL IMPORTANT  person . how times have changed  Grin kg4ymc  haave a blessed day 73s
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 10:47:36 AM »

Fake cell phones also helped deter robbers and other nefarious types, kind of like fake security cameras do nowadays. If they thought you (your wife, kid) could phone the cops, they would be less likely to chance robbing or hurting you.

At one time I used a "fake" CB rig in my car. It looked exactly like a Midland 13-888B, but the insides were really a 10-meter channelized FM transceiver. This was back in the day when nobody in their right mind would even bother stealing a CB.
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 03:12:39 PM »

Of course, a robber in fla could encounter a not so fake smith and wessson and a not so fake permit to carry , but thats a dfferent subject, or in your ' castle :  a stand your ground person . Kg4ymc Grin
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 05:38:47 AM »

Times may have changed--but not that much.  As someone else has said, just look at the fake TV surveillance cameras used these days.  You can still get the fake cell phone antennas, and just about anything else that has been available.

More than that, if you go to second hand shops, you can get the real thing for a few dollars.  Of course, it won't work anymore, but which thief would chance it?  They look for the easy pickings with no sign of anything meant to watch, listen or go off when they make their move.
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 01:37:05 PM »

ok,Folks, gosh, I use that folks stuff, must be up for reelection  like obama, anway , I can see your point on the fake use for burgary stuff. What I was getting at was that they used to portray cell phones as a statis symble and now they are so common , who cares? I guess whitney may have gotten sort of the last laugh , when they came out with those jet fire fuel ignitors spark plugs that didn't have a center electrode , but supposivly had a bunch of sparks to work better, now they have split fire plugs, don't know if any better or not , but with titanium plugs and unleaded can go a long way ... anway din't mean to get off subject again. also ironic is that they tried putting radio antennas in cars at first for am radios , seems like it didn't work out to well then, but now honda and other do it , seems to work ok on fm radios now and all  . didn't know jc witney carried record players for cars, chrysler tried that briefly , obviously didn't work if hit a bump.  Old sci fi, is a hoot also, read one story about how the computer was shuffling thru punch cards quicly to help guide the spacecraft  thru the asteroid belt  Grin  my  kids roll there eyes at the idea that black peole had to use seperate resrooms  and  resterrants had membership cards you never saw if you were white.                                     i am by the way  white, but have adopted kids  mixed.   kg4ymc                                    i
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 04:07:46 AM »

Yeah, some folks used to think of cell phones as a status symbol, but they have too many practical applications to be thought of in that way anymore--especially since they can be had for less than $20. a month!

I still remember those 'jet-fire' spark plugs too.  The concept wasn't sound since there could be only ONE spark--electricity ALWAYS takes the path of least resistance, ONE path, not several.  The 'newer' multi electrode plugs that claim better ignition are just another marketing gimmick.  The one thing that isn't a gimmick are the platinum plugs--the Bosch plugs at least seem to do better AND hold the gap longer than ordinary plugs.
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 11:49:51 AM »

while on old car memoirs. dad had a 62 imperial , talk about gas guzzling land yatch back then , converted to electronic ignition  and we had to rember not to pump gas. As far as electonic ignition is conern, seems like old dodges and vilants had simpler system , reluctors ondistrbutor and one transister on control box is how I think it worked. Remember the failed ' lean burn system?" had that on a 78 lebaron, talk about dog, also the year chrysler had a factor bulletine abou them pieceing togeter wiring harness during shortage, also the infamous year of the  droppingt  headliners made of tissue coth, and the pre rusted volaries and aspirns.not to mention the chevy vegas, what also is funny that datsun changed there name to nissan. after to import of rustbuckets... so I guess thing have changed for the better some  Grin 73s kg4ymc
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 01:33:38 PM »

while on old car memoirs. dad had a 62 imperial , talk about gas guzzling land yatch back then , converted  Grin 73s kg4ymc

That's the worst spell of "yacht" I've ever seen.   

You should have seen my old 1950 Pontiac with the windshield shade, fender skirts and 10 MPG going
any speed forward or reverse.  It had a fully automatic transmission.  Back out of the driveway and turn parallel to the curb and hit the brakes and the shift lever would fall into "Drive" and off you'd go no
shifting necessary.
Allen
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 05:20:00 AM »

I remember a guy telling me (in about 1981) that in a nearby city, there was a problem with people cutting the receivers off of pay phones so they could put them on the center console of their car to make it look like they had a "car phone". He also mentioned that these same people would drive around in the summer with the windows up so everyone thought they had air condtitioning.

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 06:33:38 PM »

so quit your " Yachting" , it was late , sorry I was saving energy and not useing spellcheck didn't want to contribute to global warming lol. I  think dads 62 imperial at time was onely car with some stainless steel in the roof . The real speedboat  was my granddads 50 desoto with the flathead six , 0 to 50 in about , half hr. Actually fluid drive was kinna cool, had clutch but could just put on brake . Dad let me and my brother drive it as first wheels , was  pretty kid safe, even before seatbelts. On old kick, car I loved was first , was 64 mercury comet, but hated engine  straight six with valve cover bolts that would break off, if tried to stop valve cover leaks > Learned all dads cuswords when he would get out the ezout and drill taps and put in bigger bolts , ah the memories ..real car I loved was my 69 coronet with the 318, that thing would move . and had coolest styling at time . not ham related but anway ... just nostalia  kg4ymc  p.s. best engine next to hemis was slant six , had lot of old darts and was in slant six club for awail , they were just getting broken in at 200 thousand .
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 08:24:27 PM »

so quit your " Yachting" , it was late , sorry I was saving energy and not useing spellcheck didn't want to contribute to global warming lol. I  think dads 62 imperial at time was onely car with some stainless steel in the roof . The real speedboat  was my granddads 50 desoto with the flathead six , 0 to 50 in about , half hr. Actually fluid drive was kinna cool, had clutch but could just put on brake . Dad let me and my brother drive it as first wheels , was  pretty kid safe, even before seatbelts. On old kick, car I loved was first , was 64 mercury comet, but hated engine  straight six with valve cover bolts that would break off, if tried to stop valve cover leaks > Learned all dads cuswords when he would get out the ezout and drill taps and put in bigger bolts , ah the memories ..real car I loved was my 69 coronet with the 318, that thing would move . and had coolest styling at time . not ham related but anway ... just nostalia  kg4ymc  p.s. best engine next to hemis was slant six , had lot of old darts and was in slant six club for awail , they were just getting broken in at 200 thousand .
   I had a '63 Valiant with a slant six that I bought used for $100 bucks!  Lasted me from 220 to 280K.  But my favorite of all was my '70 340 Duster...  $2,800 bucks brand new, 0 to 60 in 6!   Smoked all of them big muscle cars.  Wish I still had it today! Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: