Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: True Interoperability  (Read 5313 times)
AA4HA

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2011, 07:34:56 AM »

Ah, someone has solved the age old problem of interoperability across the different service agencies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ln-PBPb54U&feature=player_embedded#at=161

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KF9ZA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 08:31:36 AM »

I wonder if this guy with 12 ham radios in his van

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/july2011/dozen_mobile_radios_in_one_car.htm

is a volunteer in the same community.  Of couse the firefighter radio operator only has 8 radios.   Smiley
KS4VT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 06:00:28 AM »

I can communicate with 70 agencies (state, local, and Federal) with just a single 800MHz radio and so can all of my users.  Locally we have worked really hard, even before 9/11, to make sure that all the local's can communicate on a common platform when required, so around here this isn't the case.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 07:47:54 AM »

If 70 agencies can communicate on a single frequency, how is the traffic loading? Do they all use a common protocol (signals, etc)?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 11:23:16 AM »

If 70 agencies can communicate on a single frequency, how is the traffic loading? Do they all use a common protocol (signals, etc)?

I saw him mention a single RADIO--not a single frequency.  Knowing the capabilities of some Kenwood commercial equipment, I can see how the single radio statement can be true.
KS4VT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 09:20:33 AM »

I saw him mention a single RADIO--not a single frequency.  Knowing the capabilities of some Kenwood commercial equipment, I can see how the single radio statement can be true.

Correct, it is a single radio and not a single frequency.  We do it on a trunked radio system where I have coordinated access with 70 agencies (State, Local, & local Federal entities).  There are 16 specific talk-groups set up for interop and they reside in everyone's radio no matter what the dicipline or agency.
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 03:32:17 AM »

WOW!?!?! Are you serious?  With the dual band hammie radios they have now with 1000 memory slots and quad bands and you ask a question like this.
I assume that you missed the part about the furthering of the radio art when you took your test.

800 Mhz trunked systems make this possible.  In addition there are dual and tri-band commercial radios available in the commercial radio line that also allow this without turning a firetruck or police car into a hams minivan with 10 radios. 

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 05:04:09 AM »

Hammie radios?Huh? Where the heck did you take your test???  Huh

In the original post there was no mention of trunked radios so I asked the question to find out what he was using - and he gratiously gave an answer. I guess I'm not as smart as you "hammies".
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 07:42:51 PM »

Hammie radios?Huh? Where the heck did you take your test???  Huh

In the original post there was no mention of trunked radios so I asked the question to find out what he was using - and he gratiously gave an answer. I guess I'm not as smart as you "hammies".

Which test??? I hold several communications certificates.  Some were taken at the shop others were taken at manufactures sites, or at local hotels at testing sessions. 

I was being smart... you still didn't seem to figure that out. 
Reality is about the time you go clipping the transmit limiter out of your ham radio so you can talk to the police, the FCC will be talking to you.
Ham's do not, should not and can not legally provide ANY inneroperability assistance for public safety.  You at best can pass health and welfare traffic.  And twith the new HIPPA rules, you almost can't do that.  This isn't the fifties.  Public safety communications is far better than in the past.  And it's technology has advanced.  Ham radio? Not so much.  If you enjoy ham radio as a hobby, great.  Get away from the idea that it's going to may you a hero some day because chances are, if you have repeater coverage so you can call for help, by the time you get your old technology ham radio out and get the autopatch up, someone has called 911 and help is on the way.
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 07:29:36 AM »

Which test??? I hold several communications certificates.  Some were taken at the shop others were taken at manufactures sites, or at local hotels at testing sessions. 

Test? For the right amount of $$$ a licence can be "bought" in my area, if you are low enough. Sad but true.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: