Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best band for new tech+  (Read 599 times)
KG6MEF

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2002, 12:55:23 AM »

I just passed my code test. I am looking for a HF band / freq for my first cw contacts. Is there a frequency that I would be most likely to find slow code like 15/5 wpm code I learned for the test?
73' Scott
K1ZC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2002, 10:36:15 AM »

Check out FISTS, a group dedicated to code.  They have several calling frequencies listed on their web site (www.fists.org) and some clubs run slow-speed code nets just for the purpose of helping out new hams.  

My club runs one on Wednesday nights, 7:00 Central time, at 7.138.  The first Wednesday of the month there is no net due to our regular club meeting.  More info on the web site:

http://www.qsl.net/mac/
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2002, 10:42:22 AM »

For voice, you only have privileges on 10 meters.  Try calling CQ for awhile and see what you get.  Or just dial around and answer a CQ.

For CW, you have privileges in the Novice portions of 10, 15, 40, and 80.  I would suggest trying 15 meters during the day, 40 meters at night, and 80 meters late at night.  For your first CW one, I suggest putting out your own CQ at the speed you can comfortably receive.  That way whoever answers you will normally adjust to that speed.  Of course it's OK to answer someone else's CQ but you may have to ask them then to adjust the speed but that's fine.  Most will gladly do so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: