Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammarlund HQ-129-x, looking for resto help near New Orleans, LA  (Read 1410 times)
W5SNU

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2011, 05:01:28 PM »

Hi,
I am active duty Navy and about to be deployed to the middle east later this month.
I also just came into possession of a Hammarlund hq129x that needs restoration.
It used to belong to my grandfather. He was also W5SNU.  I took his call sign.
It is all original inside with the exception of the power cable which I have replaced.
If I power it on, it will not tune, at all. It will however make a loud buzzing through the speaker.
The audio gain control does not seem to function either.
Basically all I have been able to get this thing to do is make a loud buzzing noise.

If there is anyone around South Louisiana that would like to play with this please gimme a call.
My number is 985-sixthreefive-9830
I am flying out to the middle east on the 15th.
The radio could be purchased from me if you want to make me an offer.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 05:21:47 PM »

Please don't turn it on again until it's fixed.  The buzz you're hearing is because the filter caps are gone.  If you continue to turn it on in this condition, you'll likely damage the rectifier tube and/or the transformer.

73, K8AC
W5SNU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 05:52:14 PM »

Okay, I won't turn it on until someone who knows what they're looking at takes a look at it. Thanks for the tip.
W5snu
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 06:04:25 PM »

It is a good radio. If you can put it into storage until you return from your deployment there are quite a few folks who would love to help you through the restoration process. When you get back, drop me an email and I can try to team you up with someone, I know a few people (even down in lower Louisiana) who could help you through the process.

A good running HQ-129X is one of the better boat-anchor receivers out there.

Tisha Hayes
AA4HA

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 07:23:26 PM »

Amen. Put it in storage and wait til you get back. If I were closer, I would do it for you for parts cost only, because you are in the military. But it would cost a ton to ship here, and it could be damaged in shipping.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 08:31:55 AM »

Amen. Put it in storage and wait til you get back. If I were closer, I would do it for you for parts cost only, because you are in the military. But it would cost a ton to ship here, and it could be damaged in shipping.

I agree, if I had the time I would work on it for you for parts cost. There are a few reasons for this; 1) you are active military and you folks hold a special place in my heart. 2) This was your grandfather's and you honor him by restoring and using his radio.

Going through the radio for a restoration is just a series of steps. a) recapping the radio. b) testing/replacing the tubes c) alignment d) cosmetic restoration. The '129 is a pretty straightforward receiver design and is a good band-cruiser. In it's day it was a highly rated receiver (not as good as a SuperPro or the later Collins R-390) but it stands well on it's own. (better than any stinkin' Hallicrafters <j/k>).

If you just bought a 129x it "is just a radio". This particular radio has a special meaning that has not been washed away by the anonymity of time.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 01:57:25 AM »

In it's day it was a highly rated receiver (not as good as a SuperPro or the later Collins R-390) but it stands well on it's own. (better than any stinkin' Hallicrafters <j/k>).

You Rang? --> http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8333694

It's an AC/DC All American Five with moxie........! http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/864/M0008864.htm

Never change a password on a Friday                
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: