Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drake TR-3  (Read 3846 times)
WD8AJY

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2011, 09:18:05 AM »

I have an older TR-3 SN 796. My problem is the S meter will not go above S5. I have found 3 bad resistors in the IF. All the manuals i have do not match this radio. Does anybody have a manual for this older radio or any idea what is the problem Thanks. Bob WD8AJY
W5RKL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 09:31:50 AM »

Did you look at bama website?

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/drake/

or

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/drake/tr3/

73s
Mike
WD8AJY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 10:55:54 AM »

yup i looked at every web sit i could find.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 12:01:26 PM »

Take a look at http://hamradiomanualsonline.com
and
http://jvgavila.com

The S meter reads the AVC voltage and so if the zero set pot is flakey or any of the resistors in the circuit are off value you will have problems.  Also the meter on this model is an upright type and there may be something interferring with the physical movement of the meter or the bearing might be bad.

Anyway the S-meter is the least important thing in a receiver and I would rather have a rig that worked perfectly except for the S-meter than have a great working S-meter and rotten receive.

Good Luck
Allen
VE3EFJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 07:34:04 PM »

My experience is mostly with the TR4, but the TR3 isn't that different. This might help some.

The LV B+ is critical to the S Meter. I think its supposed to be around 265V. Also, so is the -ve bias voltage since it drives the AGC amplier.

I've seen some bad S Meters in my day. You can test the S Meter by swapping in the plate current meter. They are both the same 5 ma movement. I've helped folks with this exact symptom on a TR4 and in both cases it was the meter. I am assuming that the problem is not alignment or vacuum tube related.

Testing the resistors is a wise move since at this units age resistors can age 100% higher.

Wayne
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 07:49:22 AM »

There is a TR-3 manual online at http://www.wb4hfn.com/DRAKE/DrakeManuals/TR3/Manual_TR3.htm
N3WAK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 10:33:27 AM »

Bob--There's a Drake "technical" net you could check in to, to ask about your TR-3.  Sundays at 4pm EDT on 7.238.  Jeff, WA8SAJ, Evan, K9SQG, Mark, WB0IQK, and Ron, WB4HFN, are among the Drake experts you will find there, and they're happy to give you advice about fixing your rig.  73, Tony N3WAK
W5RKL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 11:46:57 AM »

Your problem could be caused by gassy tubes. Most tube testers will not test for gassy tubes. You can use a volt meter (11meg VTVM) and measure the grid voltage on both side of the
grid resistor. A gassy tube will have a more positive voltage on the grid side of the grid resistor then on the other side of the grid resistor. Gassy tubes will affect the AGC gain control
voltage which will affect how the S meter works.

73s Mike
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 12:02:24 PM »

Gassy small signal tubes may have a blue corona visible on the inside surface of the glass. A slight blue glow inside the plate area is usually OK and very common with HV and power tubes, but on a small signal tube there should be no color on the glass when operating. If you have the same tube number used in two different sockets and one has a blue tint, swap the tubes. If the corona stays with the same tube it's probably gassy, if the corona stays with the same socket it probably isn't.

The getter should be a near-perfect silver color with no trace of white or red around the perimeter. A black perimeter is OK and some getters have an amber tone to them, but otherwise no creamy white or rusty red around the edges.

Never change a password on a Friday                
K6LO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 06:29:02 PM »

In re reading your post, I recall that my old TR4 has a lamp fuse in the rx  path. When the base oxidized a few years back sensitivity suffered til I cleaned it with an eraser.  I do not know if the TR-3 has that fuse or not.  Worth a check.

Luke
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 05:17:34 PM »

A frequent point of failure is the TR relay. A dirty contact will cause a lot of attenuation. If you have the open type of relay, as I did, you can try cleaning it. But I found mine impossible to clean and replaced it with the closed type of relay used in the TR-4. There is a kit to do the replacement available on eBay. I did it and it made the difference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: