Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Q re: ARRL Code practice CDs  (Read 958 times)
KC0ODY

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2002, 10:21:46 AM »

Hi guys 'n gals,

I have a question that specifically relates to the ARRL's "Your Introduction to Morse Code" CDs... I've been studying CW from these for the past month and am almost finished with the exercises. I'm wondering if the CW test itself is given at the same speed that the CD exercises are given? I have not timed the CD exercises and it does not say in the booklet that came with them.

If anyone that's reading this has used these to studying for their CW CSCE, can you tell me if a person is (theoretically) ready to take the test after having completed these CDs? Or are these merely an introduction to CW, and I would need much more practice after the CDs? For what it's worth, I feel ready to take the exam now if, indeed, the QSO's that are sent at the exam would be given at the same speed as the exercises that are on the CD.

Thanks, 73

Jackie
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2002, 08:19:38 AM »

Yes the CDs are set up the same as the testing.  Some people will be ready after going through them and some will not.  All you can do is go try.  Then you will know if you need to spend more time on it.

If you have an HF receiver, try copying the W1AW slow code practice.  I think you can also download it from the ARRL website and play them back through your computer for practice.
W1RFI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2003, 03:53:56 PM »

The ARRL CDs or tapes are good for learning code, although others prefer the West or W5YI or other tapes.

Most folks require a fair amount of practice once they have the code memorized.  Tapes are not a good way to do this, as the amount of practice material is limited. One develops a false sense of security by memorizing the content of the practice material.  W1AW broadcasts or some of the code-practice software that will let you practice from .txt files is a must for most beginners learning code.

But hang in there; with a bit of practice you can get the 5 wpm test under your belt, then go on to whatever interests you in ham radio. Though some have passed the test then had the code-key burying ceremony in their backyards, surrounded by all their friends, I encourage you to give that 5 wpm a go on the bands.  CW can be a lot of fun and it lends itself nicely to simple homebrew projects and the like.

Besides, why go through all that work for nothing? :-)

Ed Hare, W1RFI
KC0ODY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2003, 08:22:02 PM »

Well... come Saturday, I do believe I will have the "/AG" behind my callsign. I'm more than ready for the CW test; I'm up to 7 WPM by using the ARRL CDs as well as the practice files I download from W1AW on the ARRL site. Didn't take me long to learn it, I figure I practiced roughly 4 solid hours altogether. I think I'm unusual in that respect, but I have always been able to pick up languages very quickly, so...

Jackie
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: