Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paddle wiring standard?  (Read 1144 times)
W7KKK

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2002, 12:28:43 PM »

Is there a correct way to wire a paddle? My only experience with CW has been with a straight key until a few months ago.
   I learned CW as a Radio Operator and then an instructor for the Army but it was all straight key. And I had my Novice Ticket in the 1970’s, which I let go, but again nothing but a straight key.
   I bought a cheaper, used paddle to try it some months ago. I think I wired it so that the dit was transmitted when I pushed the paddle to my right. Anyway, I learned to use it right or wrong and did not think I had any further interest in CW. Wrong again. I have had a few QSOs on CW and my speed is getting better. The ears and the brain seem to be communicating again.
   Well, now I have a good paddle coming and it dawned on me that I am not certain if there is a standard for wiring them or not. I guess it would not matter unless you went to another station other than yours.
   Anyway, I see nothing in any of my books on wiring a paddle. Is there a standard?
KM5JQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2002, 07:44:27 PM »

I had the same question years ago. My elmer told me to make the dits with my thumb and dahs with the forfinger, so this I have done. Only problem came when I was at his QTH and tried CW. Everything was wrong, backwards even. I then remembered he is a southpaw. I don't know if this is conventional but it's how I've wired my paddle.

John
PA8DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2002, 04:31:34 AM »

It's just like handwriting: whichever arm (left or right) you prefer is the one you should use... When I first bought a keyer (paddle with incorporated hardware to generate the dit's and dah's) it was wired for 'thumb=dit'. My cw tutor however, told me he preferred 'thumb=dah', with the logic that a forefinger is better suitable to trigger the much shorter dit! Thinking of this, I figured this was probably anatomically correct. So before learning to use the paddle, I reversed the wiring... If I had left it the way it was, I'm sure I would have mastered it too. Maybe now it was easier for me and/or I learned faster, I don't know for sure. The only drawback I see is that I need to turn the paddles upside down if I operate somebody else's station Smiley
Jaap
PA8DX
K2YW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2002, 11:28:37 PM »

and asked him (when setting up my new vibroplex "non-bug") "what is the way this goes push for dits or pull for dits?".
He gave me the "wrong" answer. I push (thumb) for DAHS, and pull for dits. He keys the "right" way, but told me wrong. I practiced for a couple of weeks, and now, I too, must turn keys over at visiting stations. Makes for pain at Field day & other group contests, but now I just bring my Shurr & plug in to replace whatever is there. Problem solved...

Regards,
Vic K2YW
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2002, 07:09:07 AM »

TNX for the replies. I got my new paddle and wired it so that when my right hand thumb pushes I get the "dit".
I think this is the way I had the first paddle I learned with. At least it did not take me long to get the feel back.
W4TYU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2003, 10:58:20 PM »

Always thumb = dits and finger = dahs.  This works either right or left handed.    Most electronic keyers have a provision for reversing the key leads electronically. Also you can still purchase left handed "bugs"

Use whatever connection is natural for you. Just takes a moment to reverse the leads on your Vibrokeyer if you need to do so.

Ole man JEAN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: