Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW with FM?  (Read 2278 times)
KC8RXE

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2002, 09:05:17 PM »

Is it possible to have a CW QSO with a FM transceiver? Currently the only transceiver I have is a 2M FM and I'm curious if I can work CW by hooking up a key to it.

Regards,

KC8RXE
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2002, 11:15:09 AM »

You'd need more than a key.  MCW ("modulated CW") is a valid and authorized mode of transmission on VHF, feel free to use it on any simplex frequency.  But you need to modulate your FM transceiver with a tone, so that someone on the other end can hear it!

Simply using a code practice oscillator with a speaker, and placing the microphone of your transceiver near that speaker so it picks up the tone output as you press the key is adequate, and will work fine as long as you don't have much background noise.

WB2WIK/6
WA5EE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2002, 05:04:00 PM »

QST published a dandy construction article in July  of '97 for a simple MCW interface that can be built for around $20 .The full article can be downloaded in the "members-only" area at arrl.org  .The article's titled  "CW With Your H-T " and can be found in  QST for July 1997, pp. 53-54 . The local club ran some practice sessions over the 2m repeater here with some success .
 ( Be sure to check with your repeater owner or trustee before using a repeater in this way .)
KD5MSY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2002, 11:03:21 AM »

James, check out this web site. I built a SLIGHTLY modified version of this that would give me volume and tone controll.  Parts brand new should easily be under 20-25 dollars... I am working the bugs out of my new version, but if you would like a copy of it e-mail me at: KD5MSY@Yahoo.com.  I salvaged all of the parts for mine but the 555 ic, ic holder, and parts board off of a old TV board that I got for FREE from a tv shop, just go in and ask them. plus you can get some good crystles for 80mtrs. off them.
http://www.rason.org/Projects/fmkeyer/fmkeyer.htm
hope this helps.
Robert
KD5MSY
VE3ION

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2002, 09:40:28 AM »

Followup question: Could I use this trick for CW work on 10m with a Yaesu 8900?
WB5RAY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2003, 02:35:21 PM »

The article on the ARRL site is great, but I have another question:  What if you've already got an MFJ 422D paddle with a keyer, and you want to interface this setup with a 2M rig, say a Kenwood GM707A?  Is that possible?
N5EIL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2003, 06:57:36 PM »

for  VE3ION yeah you could use that trick for your Ft-8900, but since it is an FM carrier you would have to run on the FM portion of 10m, so you can do this, but you might not make as many contacts as you would on regular CW. So have fun and see what you can do !

N5EIL, Neil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: