Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: keyer adapter circuit needed  (Read 888 times)
KC9BUG

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2003, 09:16:19 PM »

I have a cw keyer that is made for 13.8 volts, but my kenwood ts-830 is tube type, and is 63 volts.  Could someone direct me to a circuit that I could build to interface the two componets?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2003, 01:58:55 PM »

Keyer made for "13.8 volts?"  I've never heard of anything like that.

Normally, a keyer's output is rated at a max voltage and current, e.g., 100V, positive polarity, 50 mA; or, 200V, negative polarity, 20 mA.  Something like that.  A "13.8 volt" rating doesn't make sense.

Exactly what model keyer are you using?
KD5QZB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2003, 03:09:12 PM »

I have recently come across the issue to which you are referring.  Your TS-830 uses blocked-grid keying, I believe...the key voltage should be about -65V.  Thus your keyer will require an adapter.  There are several designs and kits on the market.  The one I use is found here: <a href=http://www.radioadv.com/ham_radio_equipment/Accessories/BK170.htm> BK-170 Grid Block Keying Adapter</a>.  This is a simple PNP transistor and circuit. The board is about 1" x 1.5".  It took me about 15 minutes including placing it in a small Radio Shack enclosure and making up the necessary cables.  

Good luck.

Michael
WN5T
ex-KD5QZB
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2003, 05:17:33 PM »

KC9BUG, before you start building an adapter, why not tell us the model of your keyer?  Many, if not most, will key the TS-830S just fine.

Besides the built-in keyers in my rigs, I have two outboard keyers, both several years old: One from AEA (MorseMatic) and one from MFJ, which is a small, portable (battery operated) keyer that is attached directly to a Bencher paddle.  Both of those key a TS-830S just fine, without any modification of any kind.  (I've owned TS-830S's, and these keyers, at the same time.)

WB2WIK/6
KC9BUG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2003, 07:24:03 PM »

It is a Island memory keyer
N0RKX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2003, 04:50:17 PM »

Like most keyers, the Island Keyer is designed to key modern transistor rigs with a positive key-line voltage. You're going to need the adapter. I put one in my original CMOS Super Keyer to key my TS-520.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: