Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is that very annoying warble on 40M SSB band  (Read 2535 times)
W3HKK

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2011, 08:34:22 AM »

I hear it during the daytime  most anywhere  between 7.125 and 7.250.  It sounds like somebody is  jiggling their  tuning knob while in cw mode.  But its  varying so quickly I dont think thats possible.  And it slowly moves up and down the band, as if drifting, but at a much faster rate than normal drifting.

Anyone know what it is???

Man, Id like to see it go away.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 07:25:20 PM »

Does it sound like this?

http://n3ox.net/files/sounds/switcherQRM.mp3

That's a switching power supply.  If that's the type of noise, that narrows it down to pretty much any piece of consumer electronics you or your neighbors own Undecided
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:27:09 PM by N3OX » Logged

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »

Well, thats fairly close, and has the general sound of what Im getting.   Hmm.  Let me try shutting off my CalRad 6Amp regulated supply here on the desk and see if it goes away next time I hear it.

I'll let you know.

Thanks.
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 09:04:53 AM »

Nope.  It's not any power supply in my shack, excluding the  IC7600 external supply.

Im sitting on the other side of the wall from our HDTV/cable TV/receiver though.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 09:19:38 AM »

Check everything ... and remember that if there's a proximity effect it's proximity to the antenna, not to the radio.

Also keep in mind that many devices, especially TV's and stuff, never actually have a real "off" switch.  To fully cut power you have to unplug it.

I had a TV for a while that ONLY made noise on the ham bands when it was plugged in and turned off.  If it was turned on it was fine, if it was turned off I got S3 to S5 noise on 15m with the beam pointed at it Cheesy

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 05:07:03 AM »

Where are the stations you are hearing this with? There has been a bit of arctic flutter noticable on phone the last couple of days which was a bit unexpected.
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 06:30:57 AM »

GOM:  its not something I hear on a signal, it's a separate signal  slowly sweeping up and down  several ham bands including 40m.  With its own  cw like tone  wobbling about its slowly changing frequency.  Quite annoying.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 10:47:07 AM »

Also keep in mind that many devices ... never actually have a real "off" switch.  To fully cut power you have to unplug it.

Exactly!

I visited a ham recently who thought his S9 noise on 20 meters was normal. I had him go through the house and unplug one thing at a time. There were several noise generators, most notably his son's laptop charger.

With that stuff unplugged, his noise dropped below an S2, and he now enjoys working 20m.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: