Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone spell anymore??  (Read 13889 times)
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 04:06:07 AM »

Frequently known here as "greengrocers' apostrophes", as in the signs "carrot's", "Bean's" or even as once seen in Scotland "neap's and tattie's" in the greengrocer's shop.

Greengrocer - I'll remember that!

Although over here, a switch is 'OFF' when up, while in the US, it would be 'ON'.... This led supposedly to confusion in WW2 with people who had not met the equipment before saying it was faulty!

It's about safety.

The idea is that if you dropped something, or fell against a switch, you'd turn the switch off rather than on.

It's the same reason outlets should be installed with the ground pin or neutral pin uppermost.

73 de Jim, N2EY
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2011, 05:09:33 AM »

Jim,
It has been 'up' for 'off' since before the start of the LAST century, so it won't get changed now. But 'up for ON' does make more sense.

HRO receivers used a horizontal switch dolly with left for 'off' and right for 'on' on one switch, and the other way round for the other (B+ and AGC switches) - just to confuse!
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2011, 08:47:28 AM »

You see it every day on eHam posts with incorrectly spelled words, incorrect usage and wrong choice of words.
 You lose power you do not "loose" power.  Your amp may arc but I doubt that it "archs"
(my cat's back arches).     To, too, and two, chose one and most of the time it is the wrong one.  Same thing with there, they're, and thier. 

Of course it isn't just hams nor eHam.  I see the same thing on most forums and my e-mail
is smitten much of the time. 

Is it just carelessness or is the average person so unschooled that he doesn't know that he
has made a dozen mistakes in a post? 

I am past the age where I could do anything about the general level of education indicated
by this misuse of words and spelling even if I knew what to do.

Does this disturb you??

73 Allen

No. It iz wutt it iz....most peepol are smart enuf to figer it owt.
AK4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2011, 10:06:48 AM »

From my perspective and you absolutely don't have to agree, nor will I say that you're wrong if you don't.. it doesn't bother me that much. Sure.. I notice it. And I'd like to correct it most of the time. I'm actually a closet stickler for spelling and punctuation. But I fight the urge. If I let things let that get to me, I very easily find myself going through life convinced that everyone's a moron. (There's plenty of evidence to point to. People misspelling.. people tuning up in frequency.. people correcting or criticizing others all the time.. people cutting you off in traffic... the list goes on!) That kind of mentality is neither a Christian outlook toward my fellow man, nor does it make me any happier personally. As a matter of fact, it makes me miserable and I nudge a little closer to becoming "cranky get off my lawn guy". (I do find that it's harder to ignore in news articles written by professional writers)

Not that I'm selling flowers on the corner because everything is wonderful, but I make a concerted effort not to get too bothered by something so relatively insignificant. I can communicate fairly well, as can my children... so it's not the downfall of society quite yet.

I would venture that the bigger threat to society is our growing general inability to "let it go". But that's just me.

73 and a great day to all of you!
Chris
AK4KZ
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2011, 01:24:52 PM »

I ran across one today that has always bugged me but hadn't heard it in so long I had just about forgotten it.  That being when people use "guide" instead of"guy" as in "My tower has four guide wires."   Of course even "guyed" wire would be incorrect unless your guy wires are guyed.

What's a guy to do???

Rim Shot
Allen
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2011, 03:38:03 PM »

To AK4KZ:

I think there needs to be a balance.

On the one hand, it makes no sense to get all worked up because of a typo or two. Or messed-up grammar, etc.

On the other hand, if everything is simply let go, pretty soon there are no standards and all you have is a mess.

What's needed is balance between the extremes. I think one way to achieve that is by setting a good example.

73 de Jim, N2EY
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »

Can anyone spell the full chemical name of the protein Titin?  Smiley

http://www.sarahmcculloch.com/luminaryuprise/longest-word.php

That isn't a word, it's a chapter in a book--or even a book in itself!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2011, 05:50:28 PM »

Sorry to bring this up now--but someone mentioned grammar before.  The correct way of asking the question should be "Can't anyone spell anymore?"

Sorry!   Grin  I couldn't pass that one up--although I missed it just like everyone else did!
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2011, 02:52:28 AM »

One that seems common on eham.net is 'tunning'.

Surely they must have come across 'tuning' when they took the 'vote for Joe' exam?
W8AD

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2011, 08:43:26 AM »

And, I get a kick out of these (well, not really);

It is a "balun", not a "balum". It is from "balanced to unbalanced, thus "balun".

It is a "transceiver", not a "transciever" or "tranceiver"

It is a "receiver", not a "reciever".

It is a "sloper" antenna, not a "slopper" antenna.

It is a "dipole", not a "diapole".

It is "lightning", not "lightening".

And how about this puzzler; "I cut the power on". You "cut it on??? Huh?

So, in addition to bad grammar, it is also the lack of basic spelling skills and what words mean. Knowing their derivation would solve a lot of the mystery of improper usage.

Somehow, it seems the "license mills" are missing some very important and basic explanations in their work. Of course, growing up without basic grammar and spelling skills in school doesn't help either.

What's a person to do? Just grin and bear it, I guess. YIKES!

Don, W8AD

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2011, 08:54:56 AM »

Two examples of today's education:

My son,  a supervisor at a manufacturing plant, had to deal with 20 new hires.  There were required to be able to read a ruler or tape measure.  They couldn't!  None of them.  My son had to get 20 rulers from the store room and hold a two day class on how to read a ruler!

On day, our local food chain outlet had a computer failure.  All of the cash registers went down.  Out of 6 lines of checkout girls, they found ONE who knew how to make change! 

As for poor sentence structure, poor spelling, etc., I simply try to understand the question or answer and go from there.  At my age I have more serious concerns!

An afterthought..... I know a Dr., very intelligent man, who simply trashes his notes.  Unless he has to be correct.  Which tells me that his mind is so far ahead of his fingers that he just makes mistakes and doesn't care. 

Posts like this can have a negative effect on (affect) people who need help.  Not good.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2011, 11:54:52 AM »

My son,  a supervisor at a manufacturing plant, had to deal with 20 new hires.  There were required to be able to read a ruler or tape measure.  They couldn't!  None of them. 

I don't think that's the fault of "today's education". It's about what happens outside school.

I graduated high school in 1972, and in my entire schooling there was nothing about learning to use a ruler or tape measure. That was a skill learned at home, not in school.

On day, [sic] our local food chain outlet had a computer failure.  All of the cash registers went down.  Out of 6 lines of checkout girls, they found ONE who knew how to make change! 

It is my understanding that many retailers instruct their staff NOT to make change mentally or manually. They are told repeatedly to put all information into the machine, so it gets into the computer and errors don't creep in. On top of that, in many stores the use of cash is rare; people pay with plastic so there's no money handled at all.

73 de Jim, N2EY
WB6THE

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2011, 06:11:48 PM »

What about misuse of THEN vs THAN...

Go look on Ebay and read some of the descriptions.
Folks must be illiterate. But they know how
much they want for their junk.

Arrrrghhhhhh.....
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2011, 08:55:18 PM »

My son,  a supervisor at a manufacturing plant, had to deal with 20 new hires.  There were required to be able to read a ruler or tape measure.  They couldn't!  None of them. 

I don't think that's the fault of "today's education". It's about what happens outside school.

I graduated high school in 1972, and in my entire schooling there was nothing about learning to use a ruler or tape measure. That was a skill learned at home, not in school.

On day, [sic] our local food chain outlet had a computer failure.  All of the cash registers went down.  Out of 6 lines of checkout girls, they found ONE who knew how to make change! 

It is my understanding that many retailers instruct their staff NOT to make change mentally or manually. They are told repeatedly to put all information into the machine, so it gets into the computer and errors don't creep in. On top of that, in many stores the use of cash is rare; people pay with plastic so there's no money handled at all.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Sounds like the educational system broke down before 1972!  Or are you just being argumentative?  I learned to read a ruler in grade school!  As for the checkout people you are correct but look what happens when our modern technology craps out?  Then what?  Many have to take their shirt or pants off to count to 21 or 22!   

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2011, 05:36:52 AM »

Sounds like the educational system broke down before 1972!  Or are you just being argumentative?  I learned to read a ruler in grade school!  As for the checkout people you are correct but look what happens when our modern technology craps out?  Then what?  Many have to take their shirt or pants off to count to 21 or 22!   

My point was simply that there's a lot that wasn't taught in school 40+ years ago. I learned how to use a ruler without a formal class in it.

Also, we don't have "an educational system" in the USA. We have hundreds of local systems which range from world-class excellent to just-plain-awful. The results we get vary just as widely.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: