Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone spell anymore??  (Read 13698 times)
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 09:05:53 PM »

I think the longest one in most "unabridged" dictionaries is "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis" - an ailment caused by breathing fine silica dust.

In 1980, when Mount St. Helens erupted, that was a valid diagnosis for people living downwind.  Rumor has it that many MDs ordered rubber stamps rather than writing it out. 

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 12:17:53 AM »

My pet hate in punctuation is the joining of sentences by commas.

Lynne Truss' book 'Eats Shoots and Leaves' is worth reading.
KJ6EAD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 01:03:56 AM »

1 Same thing with there, they're, and thier.

2 Is it just carelessness or is the average person so unschooled that he doesn't know that he
has made a dozen mistakes in a post? 

3 Does this disturb you??

1 You misspelled 'their'.

2 Ignorance, indifference, sloth, stupidity; they all apply.

3 Yes, but not as much as the vowelless wasteland of "txt msg wrtng" sic.
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 04:32:43 AM »

Yes, it bothers me a bit, but not because I'm inconvenienced by reading it, but because it shows me how education has gone downhill. When I was in school, I only knew of a couple of people who spelled like that, and I think they were passed along because nobody wanted to see them next year. Unfortunately, it seems more common  today. It's the steady supply of this quality of student that keeps the telemarketers and spammers in business.

In my old age, I *occasionally* slip up with "their" and "there", but never "they're", but I usually catch it before it goes out. I really hate the confusion between "loose" and "lose".

On one of the boards here on eham.net, I saw an argument between someone who could form sentences, and someone who couldn't. Guess which side I thought was more correct?

-- Tom
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 07:28:47 AM »

Well somebody caught me with  transposed letters.  (their instead of thier)
So solly prease!

Another one that gets me is someone saying that they have a "verticle"  antenna.
As far as I can find "verticle" is not an English word. 

Allen
AH6OY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 10:03:07 AM »

I thought you could tell a guy is from England or that area by the spelling of off as of missing the 2nd f. Silly me thinking their isn't a ton of people spelling off short one f. Now I just wonder if the majority of blokes in england can't spell off.

Personally I could care less most of the time about what a person puts down if I can grasp what he is saying. I'm sure plenty out there reject going back to correct typing because more than half the time typing would be spent correcting. Yep it's the new age of everyone is a secretary now typing away Smiley
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 10:47:21 AM »

I don't think bad spelling is that much more common than it ever was. Ask any old-time teacher what the students of decades ago were like.

I think the difference is you see it more nowadays because of the internet. In the bad old days, anything in print went through at least one editor, and maybe several. Bad grammar, spelling and punctuation were cleaned up before lots of people saw it.

There's also the "don't care" factor. I've seen a few folks who think that since it's "just the internet" or "just ham radio", it doesn't matter.

Some things do seem to be more common, though:

1) Lose and loose are both common words, how do they get mixed up?

2) Misuse of apostrophe seems to be on the rise. Contractions and possessives, folks!

3) Special case of its and it's. If you can substitute "it is", use the apostrophe!

4) All-capitals "HAM". Where did this come from? It's not a proper name nor an acronym. The only time any capitals should be used is when it starts a sentence.

73 de Jim, N2EY

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 10:56:49 AM »

Frequently known here as "greengrocers' apostrophes", as in the signs "carrot's", "Bean's" or even as once seen in Scotland "neap's and tattie's" in the greengrocer's shop.

Yes, at least some of the REAL English speakers can differentiate between 'of' and 'off'. Although over here, a switch is 'OFF' when up, while in the US, it would be 'ON'.... This led supposedly to confusion in WW2 with people who had not met the equipment before saying it was faulty!
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 10:59:25 AM »

Yes, at least some of the REAL English speakers can differentiate between 'of' and 'off'. Although over here, a switch is 'OFF' when up, while in the US, it would be 'ON'.... This led supposedly to confusion in WW2 with people who had not met the equipment before saying it was faulty!

Interesting ... I would have thought that situation would only have existed "down under". <gg>

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 12:33:27 PM »

>You lose power you do not "loose" power.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AK4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 12:53:36 PM »

>You lose power you do not "loose" power.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well... you could loose power...

"You keep bleeding that CB all over my home stereo and I'm fixin' ta point the beam at your house, fire up the amp and loose power on ya!"  Wink

Chris
AK4KZ
K6ELQ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2011, 01:58:05 PM »

Improper use of then and than is one that bugs me.

Tony - K6ELQ
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 02:38:56 PM »

Yes, it's spelled  A-N-Y-M-O-R-E!
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 02:58:05 PM »

A few more ...

Your instead of You're for "you are"
People who don't know the difference between sight, site and cite
People who don't know the difference between advice and advise (I just love "does anyone have any advises ..."
People who are too lazy (or just don't care) to use the PREVIEW button and proof-read what they have written
As someone else mentioned, the use of the apostrophe for plurals. It's only used for contractions or to make a word possessive; never to make something plural.

I make the occasional typo that slips through, but there's a big difference between that and just being illiterate.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
TKENDALL

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 04:25:16 PM »

What really bothers me is the "don't care" factor.

Another point to remember is that good grammar sets a good example to youth that may be reading these forums. I have seen a couple posts in the youth forum promoting a youth net or other activity that have been riddled with mistakes. It is sad.

I feel the same way as N2EY when it comes to Ham Radio being written as HAM. It drives me nuts. I'm also curious as to how that got started, I think some folks believe it is an acronym.

On a brighter note, still enjoying Ham Radio every day, and regardless of the quality of some of the posts here on eHam, there is a wealth of great information here!

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: