Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: olivia help  (Read 7765 times)
NU9J

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 01:18:50 PM »

Then try a closed loop on 20. If you can get 71 feet of wire around the top of the walls you might have a quieter antenna.

If that is not possible then try to get 33 feet on each leg and feed it with ladder line to a 1:1 balun or use the balun in your tuner if it has one. As I said before the loss of power due to the higher SWR on the 10 meter dipole is not going to help you at all on TX. Even if you have to put a 20 meter dipole up and feed it with ladder line you can then work every band from 20 up with that antenna.

Have you checked your own apartment to see if your appliances etc are causing your S7 noise level? Start unplugging items to see if the noise drops down. You might find the problem right in your own apartment.

It's not my apartment. I have cut all the breakers and run a sweep with a shortwave. It's coming from the radiators, and every wire in the walls, floor, and ceiling from the adjacent apartments, and maybe the power lines outside. I already made a big thread about my noise problem though and no help really. The good thing is for the summer, I am in Rochester NY and noise is nothing, so I can actually hear people.

A full wave 20m loop will be hard for me since the size of the rooms is just not big enough (8'x11'x12'). One wall is big enough to do a rectangular 10-meter loop, but that's about it, and can't hang anything outside.

~Philip
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 04:19:27 PM »

Then try a closed loop on 20. If you can get 71 feet of wire around the top of the walls you might have a quieter antenna.

If that is not possible then try to get 33 feet on each leg and feed it with ladder line to a 1:1 balun or use the balun in your tuner if it has one. As I said before the loss of power due to the higher SWR on the 10 meter dipole is not going to help you at all on TX. Even if you have to put a 20 meter dipole up and feed it with ladder line you can then work every band from 20 up with that antenna.

Have you checked your own apartment to see if your appliances etc are causing your S7 noise level? Start unplugging items to see if the noise drops down. You might find the problem right in your own apartment.

It's not my apartment. I have cut all the breakers and run a sweep with a shortwave. It's coming from the radiators, and every wire in the walls, floor, and ceiling from the adjacent apartments, and maybe the power lines outside. I already made a big thread about my noise problem though and no help really. The good thing is for the summer, I am in Rochester NY and noise is nothing, so I can actually hear people.

A full wave 20m loop will be hard for me since the size of the rooms is just not big enough (8'x11'x12'). One wall is big enough to do a rectangular 10-meter loop, but that's about it, and can't hang anything outside.

You have 11 feet X 12 feet, that is two walls. 23 feet in total. Times that by 2 for the other two walls, you have 46 feet in total. So why not put up that 20 meter dipole and feed it with ladder line?

As for your noise, maybe an investment into a noise canceling unit such as the MFJ-1025 or 1026 would help you with your noise.
AB9TA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 07:41:10 PM »

Hi Phillip,
A few thoughts:
1. If you aren't hearing any signals, make your own, try calling CQ. Go to that 14.072 to 14.075 area and start calling. I also use HRD DM780, and I use the repeat timer. For Olivia, I set it to call CQ about every 15 or 20 seconds. Sometimes I can call for an hour with no response, other times, I get a call back immediately. It just depends on who's out and about. Use a CQ that lasts for around 15 to 20 seconds (plus RSID) to give folks a chance to tune you in.
2. Would it be possible for you to make a longer antenna by extending it into multiple rooms in your apartment, even temporarily? Also consider that a dipole doesn't need to be center-fed and in a straight line. There's no reason you couldn't twist and turn a longer antenna to fit the available space. Plus, an Off Center Fed dipole (a.k.a. a Windom) is fed 1/3 from one end. You could run the long and short sides as needed to fit the available space. (Antenna Tuners are your friend!!)
3.  Olivia is a good fit for a low power / restricted antenna situation. Keep at it, Olivia can be a little daunting at first, what with the decoding delays and smaller group of users. But, it is a very rewarding mode to use, especially when you are at 100% copy on a signal you can hardly hear. See you on the waterfall!

Good Luck and 73!
Bill AB9TA
KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 09:45:01 PM »

Bill is right.  You will likely NOT get a response with one CQ.  You have to set your software to repeat the CQ's.  What I do is turn on the RSID and repeat

CQ CQ de KX5JT KX5JT
CQ CQ de KX5JT KX5JT
CQ CQ de KX5JT KX5JT
 pse K <stop>

Then I set the timer to 20 or 30 seconds so it pauses that long before repeating the call.
I tend to then go off and work on a project on the bench (right next to the operating bench)
or do some forum and email stuff.... all the time listening and occasionally watching the waterfall for a response.  Depending on the time of day/night I might get a response after two or three repeats.  Sometimes I'll go on for a half hour or hour (early morning 3 am on 20 or 40 meters) and not get anything but occasionally get something really nice like Micronesia.

It takes patience and learning how to set it up and then multitask until you get a hit is the key.  Train your ear to hear responses and then do other stuff.  If you sit there and stare at the waterfall and just wait... this can get really boring really fast. 

73 from John KX5JT
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 09:48:57 PM by KX5JT » Logged
VK2FAK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2011, 12:53:44 AM »

Hi all...

Its important to have an idea which band is in as far as Propagation goes....If it is suppose to be active and seems quite, don't assume its dead...make a call of 2 and see what happens.

You never know who may be on the other end..

John
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 11:52:57 PM »

So very true John,

10m is especially prone to the dead band syndrome, but when you call it lights up.
I guess everyone assumes it is dead, sort of like a mexican standoff!

I get qso's just about every day on 10m when it is dead, and 15m is another one where
this happens but not as frequently as 10.

73s
WB8ROL

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 09:38:02 PM »

I saw one strong OLIVIA signal yesterday on approximately 14.073 with RSID, but he couldn't hear me back...probably because I can only run like 30 watts into an antenna tuner to a 10 meter dipole only 15 feet off the ground. Thanks for the tips everybody.

There is a fair amount of activity on Olivia from time to time BUT the real trick to having a lot of Olivia QSO's is to make some noise.  Don't just listen - put out a lot of CQ's on 8/250 or 16/500 Olivia in the 14.073 - 14.075 part of the band. Run an auto CQ macro every minute or so and let it go for a while.  I had 43 Olivia QSO's last month on 20mtrs and 12 Contestia QSO's.  And all except 6 of those came from calling CQ.  Even with 30 watts and a 10mtr antenna you may do OK but, again, it pays to put out a lot of CQ's. 

BTW, Contestia is very similar to Olivia and is derived from Olivia - I often call it Olivia "lite".  You can hardly tell the difference by just listening to the sound of it.  The three main differences from Olivia are that it is faster, it does not do both upper and lower case, and it gets through slightly worse - nut not by much.

BTW, if you are using coax to feed your 10mtr antenna you might do better to just use the CENTER connector on the coax connector into your tuner - and tune it like a long wire when you operate on 20mtrs.

An even better idea is, assuming you are feeding it with coax, is to replace the coax feedline with ladder line or twin lead.  With ladder line or twin lead (if your tuner can accept it) you can still get top performance on 10mtrs AND do much better on other bands as well.  You would have to tune it on all bands but it would work a lot better on the bands where it is NOT resonant.  With running only 30 watts you would also minimize RF problems getting into computer, etc. hihi

---Gary WB8ROL
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: