Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USB or LSB on CW?  (Read 21565 times)
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 08:54:41 AM »

Hmm..

When I was in college, all I could afford was to build my own rig.  So that's what I did.

I'm an engineer and I have the skills to build more rigs.  Not as fancy as my IC-756proIII, but serviceable.

Now I'm in my 30s with a full time job and other responsibilities.  I use my Icom.  It works better than anything I can homebrew and requires less effort to get on the air.  I also have a Yaesu handheld for 2m/440, and another Yaesu mobile in the car.  Both better and more convenient than anything I can build.

I still build my own antennas and baluns.  Still use my home built signal generator and antenna analyzer.  But I suppose I'm just an appliance operator who deserves derision...?
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2011, 09:09:55 AM »

As an engineer with a M.Sc or PhD. in Electrical Engineering you are eligible to answer your own question.
Please re-read my definition of Appliance Operator (reading is an art, I read elsewhere).

For your convenience I copy it right here

Ad hoc definition: An appliance operator is a licensed ham, that uses only commercial available equipment and is not interested in electronics and other techniques at all, even the very first start of home brewing: assembling a kit with predrilled painted cabinet and printed circuit boards with a heathkit alike manual,  failure virtual impossible, does not interest him at all.

It is important that youngsters start with building their own equipment because it develops their skills, and stimulate them to want to know "everything" in the field. They will enroll in engineering courses, and the USA will not loose (or lose?)  any creative minds which will boost economy and independence as nation in the far future.

The development right now is in the direction of services and consuming, and will end in the role interchange of China and the USA in the coming century.

Just my 2 cents
Bob

(born 1929, primary school 1935-1941, licensed 1946 as what  is now known to be an Extra, with  Morse code tested (actually able to copy 20 wpm at that time, with NO courses NO tape recorders and NO computers only a BCL box without BFO) 73
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:42:39 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
WV4I

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2011, 05:53:12 PM »

Geez, I've been doing CW for 30 years and have never read a discussion like this.

I too have the TS-590S and IC-7000. The manuals are fairly clear as to how CW is generated.

I suppose the simplest way to know what any radio is really doing is with a scope, but I don't own one.

I do however use DX spots, and whether it's a CW or SSB spot, I simply go to the listed freq, on the correct mode, and it works. I just don't make it any harder than need be. My radio must display frequency similar to everybody else's? Same with Yaesu and Icom.

Re the TS-590S, if on USB and change to CW, display freq goes up 800 hz. LSB to CW goes down 800 hz. SSB displays suppressed carrier freq, USB or LSB. Can debate the merits but that's how it works. Auto USB to CW defaults to USB, LSB to CW to LSB. The default USB/LSB cutover is 10 mhz.

You might get away with minimal technical knowledge on V/U FM, but that won't work out very well on HF, especially CW, for very long. Equipment damage and/or injury could result, especially if you use an amplifier.

I'm one of the many hams that's never had a day of tech school, am either self taught or thru the patience of others, clubs, forums, know what I know, etc.. Wanna cut us true amateurs some slack? I mean this is amateur radio for goodness sakes.

Thanks, Link, WV4I
N6RLS

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2013, 02:31:22 PM »

I had the same question... usb/lsb on cw?  Found this... seems to help in understanding the issue: http://home.exetel.com.au/auriga/AR/Tech/ft/FT817_0Beat.html
KE5SBZ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2013, 07:48:50 PM »

Then and now!
Then Japan USN communications station 1966.
1. Flip flop is a duel triode tube. Transistor flip flops just appearing as a module system.
2. One bit memory 3/4" cube plugs into a an eight pin tube socket. Some wire mag memory appear 16 Bit.
3. 100 baud printers.
4. Nixie counters with numbers printed on face plate.
5. Rhombic antennas. Cascade feed system
6. R390a HF receiver. Gold standard of receivers.
7. 150 maintenance men to keep equipment running.
8. Max 200 channels of operation.
9. This was the very top of the line equipment in its day.

Now
1. One fiber optics cable. 1Ghz.+.
2. Cell phones Operations per Sec (unknown).
3. Lap top computer. Close to more electronics than in all of 1966.
4. Now you can be approved for a loan in minutes.
4. Software replaces hardware.

I have done all of this and more. Just being an appliance operator is a welcome past time.

On the BFO having a set standard 40 meters to topband of LSB and 30 Meters up as USB is so that if any of us chasing each other will be chasing in the same direction. That very seldom happens with the new VFO's. The Yaesu FT 450 has a clarifier to chase off Freq. ops.

73 KE5SBZ Ed

WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2013, 07:00:32 PM »

What about band edges.  Should some of this discussion be clarification about band edge caution?
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2013, 02:18:31 AM »

Use a Ten-Tec Century 21 or other DC receiver for a few years and then decide.... 

73 Huh
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2013, 03:49:09 PM »

If 99% of hams are "Appliance" operators then maybe it's time redefine the original intent/purpose of the hobby and change the name from Amateur Radio to Amateur Broadcasting.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: