Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: J38 military surplus key  (Read 1453 times)
W8BBS

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2002, 09:21:10 AM »

I'm a new ham, interested in code.  I just aquirred a new surplus J38 key.  It's a bit tarnished, but otherwise seems ok.

It seems to me that one should put a little grease on the pivots.  Of course there weren't any instructions, so I'd like to ask the forum for advise on the care and maintenance of this key.  

73s,
Bruce
W8BBS
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2002, 11:58:57 AM »

Sure, grease away!

"J-38" is a designation used for, evidently, simply millions of straight keys: I've owned several with the designation stamped into them, and they were all slightly different -- probably made by different manufacturers to some government specification, over a period of several years.

My favorite one has ball bearings for the pivots, and I use a tiny bit of lithium grease on those bearings.  It's smooth as silk, although really just a collector's item, since I haven't actually "used" a straight key in about 35 years...

WB2WIK/6
ZL3NB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2002, 06:06:02 AM »

Hi Bruce..FB on the J-38...Great straight key and probably one of the best! and following up WB2WIK/6 comments and the designation marking..well they were standard issued keys in the military or at least the Navy (I used one..when I was Radioman in the USN).

To add to WB2WIK/6 "grease" comment..which is correct.Try some Brasso Polish also from time to time to get rid of the tarnish and to bring a real "Polished" look to the ol' J38!

73's/CUL de Bill ZL3NB
N9NEO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2003, 10:14:20 PM »

Do all J38 keys have ball bearing movements?  I'm looking for my first key.

regards,
N9NEO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: