Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NMO Mount in the Roof of Honda CRV  (Read 5338 times)
AA4TX

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2011, 10:36:20 AM »

Has anyone had experience in placing an NMO mount in the roof of a 2011 Honda CRV? My wife (also a ham) is pretty close to purchasing one, and wants a new radio to go with it. Will be mounting a Larsen 2/70 upon arrival.

Thanks,

AA4TX
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:34:26 AM »

No experience with that vehicle, but I've installed antennas in lots of vehicles by popping out the dome light and gaining access for drilling the hole there. Snake the coax across the headliner and down the C pillar. Replace the dome light and you are done.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AA4TX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 03:50:59 PM »

Yes, I have doen the same on my Ford F-150. Unfortunately, I will have to go back a bit further on this vehicle. The dome light is just behind the sun roof, prohibiting that location in this case.

AA4TX

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 04:54:36 PM »

Yes, I have doen the same on my Ford F-150. Unfortunately, I will have to go back a bit further on this vehicle. The dome light is just behind the sun roof, prohibiting that location in this case.

AA4TX

Never messed with one of those.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 05:51:23 AM »

You want to be careful if you buy one with the navi. The antenna is on the rear edge of the top, and you want to stay as far away from it as you can. It is fairly bullet proof, but a strong RF signal blocks the GPS receiver. It takes a few seconds for it to reconnect. It is more annoying, than damaging.

AA4TX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 06:16:20 AM »

Not going with the Navigational Package. Has anyone dropped/opened the roof liner on this year or close?

AA4TX
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 11:39:48 AM »

No. I haven't, but in speaking to a dealer when I was going to purchase a car with a sunroof, I was strongly advised to think about having a professional do the antenna installation.  I was told that if damaged, it would take many hundreds of dollars to repair the sunroof mechanism.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 02:33:09 PM »

I agree with that statement. The CRV has the side airbags in the seats, but that's not true of every vehicle. Most of them in fact, have the side airbags in the headliner, and fishing wires down the b, c, or d pillars can be rather problematic. What's more, the headliner is a one piece, molded unit, and you'd best have a service manual before you attempt to take it down, or loose.

WB0KSL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 07:13:24 AM »

I have a 2008 CRV, and i'm not sure how much has changed in the car  since then.  I popped the trim around the rear of the headliner loose, then flexed it down just enough to get my hand and arm between the roof and headliner.  I drilled the hole for the NMO mount to the right of center, forward of the factory antenna, well behind the sunroof.  Coax was fished down inside the trim panel on the right inside of the rear hatch.  This worked, and didn't destroy the car ;-)  The downside to a roof install on the CRV is that any antenna more than 15 or so inches tall hits the garage door.  Sooner or later that will cause problems.  I use a Comet B-10 (Diamond has one similar) which is only 13 inches or so tall.  Not the best antenna, but it works for me.  The standard retort here is, "It all depends on your definition of "works"..."  Sure, but life is a series of compromises.  Understand what they are, and go with what makes you happy.

73 - WB0KSL

AA4TX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 10:07:02 AM »

Thanks, I think I will at least investigate doing the same. I have read about a few who have been able to replace the factory antenna on 2010s and 2011s in much the same manner, which is just aft of my target area. Is there a reason that you placed it "right of center"? Is there a rib there? I have always put an antenna or two on my vehicles within days of delivery; perhaps with a little care, that can continue. No fear of holes here! (Airbags are a different story!).

AA4TX
KV4BL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 04:12:14 AM »

I will echo K1CJS's comment about considering using the services of a pro for such an operation.   I had one who handles installs for our Department of Corrections to do the install on my 2007 Hyundai Sonata.  I specifically did not want a sun roof due to numerous issues with those, to include their effect on hole-mount roof installation.  Ricky did a great job putting an NMO mount on my roof and when I saw the stuff he had to fight with, including numerous, "side curtain air bag" assemblies, I knew it was money well-spent.  The safety features on modern vehicles make roof mounting of an antenna a project not for the faint of heart.

I went with the Comet B-10 and have never regretted it.  For such a small antenna, it works really well on 2m and 440.   One pro-tip I picked up from watching Ricky do that install is to be sure to use an air hose and be SURE to blow all fragments of metal material off of your car after the mount is in place.  The reason is that these fragments are not protected on all sides by the paint and finish.  They will rust after being exposed to moisture and if there are any remaining on your car (whether on the roof, trunk, hood, or elsewhere), they will cause little rust spots and streaks which may ruin your finish in those areas.

Good luck on that install!

Ray 
WB0KSL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 06:54:46 AM »

On my 2008 CRV I was only able to flex the headliner down a small distance (work from the back, not the sides).  The geometry of the roof, with its "ribs" or channels, and the rear window washer plumbing, together with the existing factory antenna hardware made the right of center location the most logical.  I simply wasn't able to put the NMO mount in front of the factory antenna in the center without pulling the headliner more than I was comfortable with.  BTW, I started with the Comet B-10 antenna, but broke it on a low hanging tree limb out on the farm one day.  Associated Radio here in KC was out of the Comets, so I replaced it with a Diamond (NR72, I think).  Not much difference between the two, from my experience.  I am satisfied.

73 de WB0KSL
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 08:12:46 AM »

I will freely admit that none of my installs over the years have involved vehicles with side-mounted airbags - and never will in the future. I know when I'm in over my head. Smiley

VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 09:48:42 AM »

The last two vehicles I installed NMO mounts on the roof had side-curtain airbags.  I ran the coax up and over the modules so that if (when?) they deploy, the cable doesn't block the "curtain" coming down.

The other NMO mounts were a piece of cake as I put them on the trunk lid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: