Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW Test Format  (Read 594 times)
UCITY

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2002, 01:45:57 PM »

I am practicing right now to take the FCC's 5 wpm code test and I have been using G4FON's Koch Method Trainer.

I am trying to figure out how to configure the settings so it will be as similar to the actual test as possible.  

He gives various character speeds ranging from 15 wpm to 50 and he gives options for code speed ranging from full to 1/2 to 1/3 to 1/4.

Would it be most advantageous, in order to pass the test, to set the machine to 15 or 20 wpm and 1/3 code speed?

Thanks, Ed
K1ZC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2002, 02:33:13 PM »

I am not familiar with that particular software so I can't tell you what setting to pick, but the test is given at 15WPM character speed with Farnsworth spacing to reduce the overall speed to 5WPM.

Many people find it helpful to learn at the full 15WPM for the character speed but adjust the Farnsworth spacing to be just a bit faster than required.  If you learn to copy at 7-8 WPM, then you will be more relaxed when you have to copy for the test at 5 WPM.
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2002, 04:38:19 PM »

If you set and learn it at 15 WPM and then 1/2 speed you should be fine. You should fly through the test and good luck. If you like it faster, the 20 and 1/3 will do. Either way, it's a much better method than I learned years ago and much easier to increase the speed.

73 Ken
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2002, 09:02:22 PM »

Hi: The current NCVEC standard for CW tests is 13 WPM characters sent at 5 WPM; UNLESS the candidate makes prior arrangements with the VE team for a 5@5 test.

Personally I suggest learning the code with 15 WPM characters sent at 8 WPM. It takes about three seconds longer total to learn the code at 8 WPM than at 5 and it gives a big margin for test jitters at the test.

Besides, after you really know the code by sound, so you don't have to think about what you have heard, the 13 characters sent at 5 sounds so slow and easy that there is almost no way you can fail!

After all, you only have to copy 25 characters straight to pass the 5 WPM test.

73 Pete Allen  AC5E
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2002, 09:19:59 AM »

All this is fine, but even more important is knowing the actual elements of the test. The order may not be exactly this way in the middle, but generally speaking, it is calls, names, locations ( QTH's ), kind of rig, power, antenna type, altitude of antenna, weather, maybe your job, your age, how long you've been a Ham.  If you can get where you recognize these things, you will fly through the test.  5 wpm is slow enough that if you know what to expect where, that is the key.  It is regular QSO stuff, so learn what those elements are, and you will do fine.  
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2003, 11:50:30 PM »

remember they will use all of the letters , numbers and pro signs, every single one of them  so it will be like a qso from somen one in calif, portable from wisconson or such, they will ask a question, and have all the numbers  so9 learn them all.. I prefer G4FON's koch method g4fon.co.uk and they have a companion program at the site for typing it in on the computer and scoring it for you.  and also when you study the test at qrz,com which is question/ answer/question /answer.. then go here at eham for the finish off  where you do question /question/ question..answer answer answer... then when you sit down with the test you aren't expecting that immediate feedback like you get on qrz from question/ answer...  i hope that makes sense.  good luck   tom N6AJR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: