Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best logging programs for General Logging and Contesting on a Mac?  (Read 6064 times)
W6UX

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2011, 09:59:11 PM »

I've got a really nice setup working on Windows XP with my K3 and MicroKeyer II.  I'd like to see if I can transition most of my ham software onto my MacBook Pro (2006 Core Duo model) using native Mac apps.  It's running Snow Leopard.

I also have a Yaesu 857D, and an ADMS-4BU programming cable for it.  I don't know if I can establish rig control under OS X using this cable, as there doesn't appear to be any drivers for Snow Leopard on the RT Systems website.  Getting rid of the Dell PC would free up a lot of space on the desk and I could finally remove an outdated OS from my shack.

I operate SSB, PSK31, RTTY, and occasionally WSPR and JT65.

Which mac programs should I get working first? There's RUMLog and MacLoggerDX for general logging, and Aether and RUMped for contesting, also I think something called Skookum Logger.  I guess for any digital modes I have to use cocoaModem? I believe I also may need a program called uH Router to get the MKII working, but I see there are Mac OS X drivers on the microHam website, so didn't know if that was needed.

Lots of questions...looking for a sane way to proceed one program at a time.  Suggestions?

73 de Jeff, W6UX
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 06:39:17 AM »

Some really good options are available on the Mac.

Besides CocoaModem, look at Fldigi for digital modes.  It does a lot more than CocoaModem, although in a cross-platform interface rather than the beautiful Cocoa interface of CM.  Fldigi is my primary digital program.  It supports RSID, a LOT more modes, interfacing with online databases/PSKreporter, and can be connected to RUMlog for auto import into RUMlog's database.  You can even use RUMlog to handle the tuning of the rig and just use Fldigi as the digital component.

The MKII is NOT supported by OS X directly, and there are no drivers for it.  This is because the MKII has a variety of low level functions that need to be addressed directly.  uH Router does provide access to most of these functions, and does work with MLDX and CocoaModem. RUMlog also has its own version (RUMrouter) that does the same thing. 

I found that the US Navigator Interface is a GREAT tool for OS X, with built-in RS-232, Soundcard, FSK, and WINkeyer support along with support of OS X directly.

Other programs to check out would be things like Flwkey, Flrig, MultiScan SSTV.  Both RUMped and Skookum Logger are good for contest loggers. JT65-HF runs on OS X in Crossover for Mac.  WSJT can be compiled and run on OS X as well, if you're comfortable working at the command line. 

The software I have in everyday use on my Mac is as follows: RUMlog, Fldigi, JT65-HF, and Flwkey.  RUMped and Skookum Logger are both used; I haven't used one or the other enough to determine a favorite yet.

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 09:49:54 AM »

For logging on a a Mac, check out Aether.  I use it with my Mac Pro, and it is GREAT!
K6DYB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 01:53:28 PM »

You'll need to order a new cable for your mkII - DB37-FT-MINI8
N1ZHE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 11:41:55 PM »

For logging on a a Mac, check out Aether.  I use it with my Mac Pro, and it is GREAT!

...and there is a "hidden option" when you use FLDIGI and Aether.

You can setup a macro that will automatically log your contacts from FLDIGI to Aether.

See: https://github.com/muonzoo/ham-utils

It works for me.

David, N1ZHE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: