Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kent vs N0SA vs Begali  (Read 10328 times)
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 09:48:55 AM »

Ironically I also own a W5JH Black Widow and like it VERY much. Also a very cheap key.

paul
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 09:59:40 AM »

... but k3STX assures it is not him...

I did not "assure" anyone that the problems I experienced were not my fault, I only pointed out that I have problems with the Begali key. I suspect if I changed the way I send CW I would not have the problems anymore, however it was easier for me to sell the key than re-adjust the way I send.

Thousands of Begali customers are happy. The original poster asked for opinions, and I gave mine. It is my opinion, not a fact.

I'm a happy Begali customer, but I've never used a Kent myself for more than a couple minutes at a hamfest. I appreciate the opinions of those who have used a variety of these keys for longer times, very much. Someday a couple decades from now I might get another key and yours and others opinions will very much influence what I want to try.

Again, thanks for the comparisons! They mean so much more than just "I have brand (X) and I'm happy".

Tim.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 01:04:02 PM »

You are basically talking about personal preferences and characteristics.  Best thing to do is get your hands on a key to see what you think about it.  If it suits you, then it's a good key.  Not too easy to do, but the only 'sure' way of finding out.  I've seen one or two really nices keys that I didn't particularly care about using.  And one or two no one thought much of that worked just dandy for me.  Suit your self.
 - 'Doc
KL7CW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 01:27:20 PM »

I have been a happy user of my Kent iambic paddle for 20 or 30 years.  I learned CW on a bug 57 years ago so am rather heavy fisted.  I have tried several high end keys at Dayton, and borrowed a few from friends.  Several months ago I "upgraded" to a N3ZN  ZN9A magnetic paddle.  It is heavy, has a small footprint, and a nice feel.  It works fine with my moderately heavy fist, however I am gradually trying to "refine" my technique and hope to gradually adjust it to more sensitive settings.  After decades of slapping a bug (shipboard, shore cw marine, and ham cw) I have adjusted to the more sensitive settings of my paddles.  
   I think the Kent will serve you well, however you MIGHT prefer one of the Italian, German or other quality magnetic paddles if you have some extra money spend, and especially if you are willing to slightly modify (refine ?) your sending style.  The ZN9A just happened to be what I wanted, and am very happy with it, however every CW op has different tastes.  The ZN9A is now my preferred paddle, however I would have also been a "happy camper" just staying with the Kent for the rest of my life.  I feel the ZN9A would work great for someone who wants anywhere from very sensitive settings to someone who is MODERATELY heavy fisted.  Possibly the Kent would be better for a really heavy fisted person.  I have no real opinion on the suitability of the other higher end keys for heavy fisted operators.        Rick   KL7CW    99%cw for 57 years
VA2DW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 12:22:38 PM »

After I ordered among the last available single lever paddles from Larry N0SA and used it for several months I feel for sure that I  will never come back to any kinda paddles except pearl by Begali which is dual lever paddle but vy nice for me too. Been cwer for more than 55 years now
and can do over 50 wpm still so I know all about
what I say. I like vy soft and close light touch paddles I got used to from my early cw sending experience. Sorry to know that Larry has stopped making his great paddle now.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2012, 05:17:46 PM »

I like my Begali Simplex Basic.
VK4TJF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 07:56:42 AM »

kinda depends on what your after i have the K8RA paddle, a begali simplex and the begali sculpture. i like to keep my sending very quite so i mostly use the begali's however i don't send much over 35 wpm. then again 25-35 wmp is plenty fast. the k8ra paddle is better if you have a heavier fist and like more contact spacing and like to bat it around a bit more, trust me you not going to damage Jerries p4 paddle. however if your a fine movement person then better with the begali. i have sleeping children when i operate 20meters band at night so i keep silent with close contacts with the begalis.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: