Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recording Software for CW  (Read 590 times)
N0JZQ

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2003, 12:00:29 PM »

Can anyone give advice on recording live CW transmissoins and any software recommendations for recording these transmissions? I would like to be able to copy real CW to a CD.

I thought I saw some info on this in an earlier topic but I can't find it. Thanks for the help!

Scott N0JZQ
K1ZC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 09:39:32 AM »

If you have a Windows based PC, every version of Windows comes with a little utility called Soundrec.exe.  Windows does not create an icon for it so you might have to use the file search to find it.  Just connect the speakers from your rig to the microphone input jack on the PC and record away.

Burning a CD is pretty easy these days and most computers that come with a CD drive have software preinstalled for the purpose.  Just be aware that some CD players (like the ones in automobiles) often require a certain format.  As an example, my car requires that I use "one time" CD-R since the reusable CD-RW format is not compatible.  
N0JZQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2003, 02:09:43 PM »

Thanks K1ZC. I found the file on my PC and have been experimenting. Looks pretty easy. Thanks for the help.

Scott N0JZQ
N4EKZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2003, 09:57:35 AM »

I find this subject somewhat intriguing. How about sharing with us how your tweaking and recording is going. Tnx... James (N4EKZ)
N0JZQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2003, 12:03:42 PM »

I did record some CW transmissions with the Windows Sound Recorder. It saves the file in .wav format. I have a program called Cool Edit that I then use to convert the wav file to an MP3 file. This really compresses the wav file which can be a huge file depending on how long I recorded the transmission. Cool Edit also lets you remove some noise and clean up the file. Cool Edit is pretty overwhelming in what you can do to a sound file. I am just in the beginnning stages of learning Cool Edit. I am sure there is other software available that will do the same thing but this is all new to me so I am still experimenting. I was actually able to playback an MP3 file that I created while running CwGet at the same time and it was able to decode some of the morse. Pretty cool.

Cool Edit also lets you save the wav file as a Windows Media/Audio file which compresses it also. Windows Media Player will play MP3s and Windows Audio/Media type files.

I purchased a program called Replay Radio which lets you record internet audio and I am playing with it to see if I can record CW transmission. You can set Replay Radio to record at specific times but I haven't tried that yet. Still learning this software also.

A friend told me about a software package called Cyber Recorder 2000 which is like Replay Radio but he thinks it is better than Replay Radio. I downloaded the shareware version today and will be checking it out too.

Scott N0JZQ
KD5QLK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 01:10:24 AM »

I've been using an application called ScannerRecorder since I got my ticket to record almost all nets and most QSOs that Ive had. It's free, small, and powerful enough. You can get it at:
<http://www.davee.com/scanrec/index.html>
It has a "squelch" so you can set it so that it doesnt record the dead time (although you may actually want the dead time, you can set a delay for the squelch to kick in.) You can pick a wide variety of compresion schemes. I record nets and then MP3 the wav files.
N0JZQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2003, 09:20:13 PM »

Thanks KD5QLK. I downloaded the software and will check it out. Looks very interesting.

Scott N0JZQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: