Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top of the DXCC Honor Roll  (Read 27702 times)
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2011, 09:02:18 AM »

Whoops the QSL link for Romeo:

http://dxing.at-communication.com/en/romeo_stepanenko_3w3rr_ke6rad_article_dx_news/
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2011, 09:30:16 AM »

Here's his inmate record from the federal Bureau of Prisons:
http://www.bop.gov/iloc2/InmateFinderServlet?Transaction=IDSearch&needingMoreList=false&IDType=IRN&IDNumber=59198-004&x=69&y=17
What's interesting is there is no projected release date. LWOP? For cybercrime?

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 11:08:13 PM »

I can just imagine how frustrating it must be to be 1 or 2 contacts away from having everything, but look on the bright side, what do you do after you have gotten everything, your DX days are pretty much over Grin

One thing I think the ARRL should do is allow for an automatic score if the country is unworkable due to extreme circumstances eg. Iran. So long as the operator has proper medical documents to show that they cannot continue for much longer in the hobby.
Why deprive a long time Ham who may go SK of having the ultimate Amateur Radio achievement.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2011, 11:36:33 PM »

I can just imagine how frustrating it must be to be 1 or 2 contacts away from having everything, but look on the bright side, what do you do after you have gotten everything, your DX days are pretty much over

Not if you're pursuing DXCC Challenge and "Top of the Honor Roll on Phone, CW, and RTTY".

One thing I think the ARRL should do is allow for an automatic score if the country is unworkable due to extreme circumstances eg. Iran. So long as the operator has proper medical documents to show that they cannot continue for much longer in the hobby. Why deprive a long time Ham who may go SK of having the ultimate Amateur Radio achievement.

Iran is hardly unworkable; I worked Pooyan EP3PK on February 18th of this year, and he confirmed via LotW the very next day!

There have always been DXCC entities in which amateurs were prevented from operating for lengthy periods of time-- Albania, Burma, China, and Yemen, for example. The achievement is to work them all -- period.

Every current DXCC entity has been workable and confirmable sometime over the past 22 years; I wonder if this span has ever before been so short.

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 05:44:56 AM »

KD8MJR wrote:
Why deprive a long time Ham who may go SK of having the ultimate Amateur Radio achievement.

I don't think that should be a consideration at all.  Either you work them ALL or you don't.  Look at pages 71 and 72 of the August 2011 issue of QST to see how many people have made it to the top in the recent past.

I'm eight short of getting to the top.  I'll enjoy the journey more if the award isn't cheapened in the meantime.  Besides, as Dave, AA6YQ, points out, the DXCC Challenge and individual band awards provide more than enough entertainment along the way. 

Chuck  NI0C
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 06:30:30 AM »

If you are interested in dodgy DX peditions in the past, look up Don Miller W9WNV, now AE6IY. Even the famed Gus Browning, W4BPD, had some questions asked about one or two of his operations, which is a bit surprising.
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 06:45:58 AM »

the DXCC Challenge and individual band awards provide more than enough entertainment along the way. 

I'm doing the DXCC Challenge low power and I am at 220 DXCC/zones but still no JA! So I spend my time hunting for JA's. Sound's dumb, but that's the beauty of the DXCC challenge.

paul
K1VSK

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 07:40:02 AM »

If you are interested in dodgy DX peditions in the past, look up Don Miller W9WNV, now AE6IY. Even the famed Gus Browning, W4BPD, had some questions asked about one or two of his operations, which is a bit surprising.

"some questions" is a nasty implication on someone who did more for Dx-ing than any other person ever has. We don't generally appreciate guilt by inuendo.

When compared with the loss of credibility the DXCC award given all the dubious criteria applied to some semi-submerged rocks as an example, it's important to remember this is just an obscure hobby.
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2011, 07:42:59 AM »

One thing I think the ARRL should do is allow for an automatic score if the country is unworkable due to extreme circumstances eg. Iran. So long as the operator has proper medical documents to show that they cannot continue for much longer in the hobby.

So it would be the "Worked Most of Them and Almost Dead" award? One either makes the achievement or not.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2011, 10:53:44 AM »

So it would be the "Worked Most of Them and Almost Dead" award?

Too funny!
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2011, 11:56:34 AM »

The newest DXCC endorsement. "WMT/AD" Grin

paul
http://k3stx.com
K3BZ

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2011, 08:42:06 PM »

"I got my novice ticket in January 1990 and reached the top of the Honor Roll in August 2009"

Hmmm..... DX cluster #1 honor roll.

I got my ticket in 1965. Got #1 Honor Roll about 1993.

I used to take the mailed newsletters, check in on  Sunday 75M DX net to see who/what was active.

We had a land line call list too. "call me anytime if Father Moran is coming in".

73 Yall

Sure, I used those early "tools" too. Not a lot of difference between the old 2M packet clusters/newsletters/land line calls from friends, and the DXClusters .... today we just have better tools. Even so, no matter how you FIND them, you still have to WORK them, and get them confirmed. I'm barely over 300 now but I'd still be muddling about in the 100's (as I did for years) if not for discovering Dave AA6YQ's excellent DXLab suite of programs. My DXing skills are only average, but even I can get good results from the best tools.

73,  Jerry K3BZ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2011, 09:07:13 PM »

There is a big difference between landline calls from friends or a call on the 2m repeater, and the DX cluster.  First, to get a call from a friend or a call on the repeater, someone local or someone you know has to hear the DX as well. With the cluster, it is worldwide.  There are 1000s of people scanning the bands and posting on it.

Landlines were world-wide even back then, and "telephone trees" could quickly alert many in need; the person alerting you might not themselves hear the DX. W9KNI describes this in "The Complete DXer", and also describes stakeouts by organized groups of DXers.
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2011, 04:52:36 AM »

There is a big difference between landline calls from friends or a call on the 2m repeater, and the DX cluster.  First, to get a call from a friend or a call on the repeater, someone local or someone you know has to hear the DX as well. With the cluster, it is worldwide.  There are 1000s of people scanning the bands and posting on it.

Landlines were world-wide even back then, and "telephone trees" could quickly alert many in need; the person alerting you might not themselves hear the DX. W9KNI describes this in "The Complete DXer", and also describes stakeouts by organized groups of DXers.

There is a difference in quality and quantity. W9KNI describes scenarios where a handful of dedicated (read disciplined and well-behaved) DXers pass the alert, which gradually diffuses through the phone tree, and work the DX in an orderly fashion. This is quite different from a spot going to the cluster and instantly producing a pile tens or hundreds deep, populated by all manner of operators.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2011, 09:03:12 AM »

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the DX cluster disappeared forever.

I've got a little station and wire antennas, and I'm often working mobile, and my best chance of working any given station is BEFORE it gets posted on the cluster.   I can always tell, too, when I hear something good and I'm angling for a chance to work it, when the DX has been put on the cluster:  Immediately there are a dozen people's autotuners going off, right on the DX frequency, and a few people will start shouting their callsigns even if the DX is actually in the middle of working someone.   My weak-signal angling is now out of place in a noisy 3-ring circus on the air.  :-(   Yes, the cluster can be helpful at times--but I'd be perfectly happy if it went away forever.  :-(
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: