Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top of the DXCC Honor Roll  (Read 26256 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2011, 03:56:08 PM »

One thing I think the ARRL should do is allow for an automatic score if the country is unworkable due to extreme circumstances eg. Iran. So long as the operator has proper medical documents to show that they cannot continue for much longer in the hobby.
Why deprive a long time Ham who may go SK of having the ultimate Amateur Radio achievement.

So it would be the "Worked Most of Them and Almost Dead" award? One either makes the achievement or not.

Wow you guys are not very senior friendly  Embarrassed
What I meant was someone who has something like Cancer and has 6 months to live, would it hurt to just give him Iran and North Korea??   I guess the overwhelming answer is YES  Roll Eyes
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2011, 04:19:36 PM »

One thing I think the ARRL should do is allow for an automatic score if the country is unworkable due to extreme circumstances eg. Iran. So long as the operator has proper medical documents to show that they cannot continue for much longer in the hobby.
Why deprive a long time Ham who may go SK of having the ultimate Amateur Radio achievement.

So it would be the "Worked Most of Them and Almost Dead" award? One either makes the achievement or not.

What I meant was someone who has something like Cancer and has 6 months to live, would it hurt to just give him Iran and North Korea??   I guess the overwhelming answer is YES  Roll Eyes

It would not mean anything, even to the recipient. He would know he did not work P5, as well as all of us. 
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2011, 09:05:31 PM »

There is a big difference between landline calls from friends or a call on the 2m repeater, and the DX cluster.  First, to get a call from a friend or a call on the repeater, someone local or someone you know has to hear the DX as well. With the cluster, it is worldwide.  There are 1000s of people scanning the bands and posting on it.

Landlines were world-wide even back then, and "telephone trees" could quickly alert many in need; the person alerting you might not themselves hear the DX. W9KNI describes this in "The Complete DXer", and also describes stakeouts by organized groups of DXers.

There is a difference in quality and quantity. W9KNI describes scenarios where a handful of dedicated (read disciplined and well-behaved) DXers pass the alert, which gradually diffuses through the phone tree, and work the DX in an orderly fashion. This is quite different from a spot going to the cluster and instantly producing a pile tens or hundreds deep, populated by all manner of operators.

Yes, arguably "team DXing" as W9KNI describes it was both easier and more effective than what we have with today's cluster. On the other hand, the cluster allows individuals to collect and exploit much more information about both the operating habits of needed DX stations and the likelihood of band openings than was feasible back then.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2011, 03:05:49 PM »

It would not mean anything, even to the recipient. He would know he did not work P5, as well as all of us. 

I thought that a permanent List was kept to immortalize all the Hams who got the Award.
K1VSK

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2011, 07:12:40 PM »

I thought that a permanent List was kept to immortalize all the Hams who got the Award.
Don't you think that would diminish the accomplishment of all those who actually worked it?
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2011, 10:27:23 AM »

the DXCC Challenge and individual band awards provide more than enough entertainment along the way. 

I'm doing the DXCC Challenge low power and I am at 220 DXCC/zones but still no JA! So I spend my time hunting for JA's. Sound's dumb, but that's the beauty of the DXCC challenge.

paul

Move out to 6 land. Some contests when on 15M, that is all I hear, wall to wall JA's. I work them as fast as I can USUALLY for the points when nothing else is around.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2011, 10:39:36 AM »

Near 'gimme-level' testing, no code needed, Tech to Extra in one sitting .... and now you propose to give out unearned DXCC credits.

Not to say the old timers (or anyone) should be discriminated against but the 'Cracker Jack' box is getting so full of PRIZES soon there will be no room for the candy coated popcorn or the peanuts!  Huh

So you give out DXCC credits to dying old timers. Now anyone who has the same credit will be looked at with question as to what did they really earn and what was a gimme. No thanks. I'll earn my DXCC credits the old fashion way. Bad enough I worked to earn the RTTY DXCC and the week I get confirmation for #100, ARRL drops the RTTY designation and puts a generic DIGITAL name on the award instead of creating new DXCC's for PSK31, etc.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2011, 05:12:00 AM »

Puts new meaning to the phrase "I'd die for a P5 contact!" ")
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2011, 06:10:17 AM »

There is a difference in quality and quantity. W9KNI describes scenarios where a handful of dedicated (read disciplined and well-behaved) DXers pass the alert, which gradually diffuses through the phone tree, and work the DX in an orderly fashion. This is quite different from a spot going to the cluster and instantly producing a pile tens or hundreds deep, populated by all manner of operators.

This could be achieved with all the advantages of modern DX clusters (information delivered asynchronously to your computer, widespread spotting) if we moved to a social network style DX cluster.

If it's really juicy, just spot to your "friends."  If it's good but not earth-shattering, spot to "friends of friends."

This way the problem of pruning off the idiot branches becomes a distributed one.  If you notice a jammer appears every time you receive a "friends of friends"-level spot from a buddy, maybe you start to quietly test your outbound distribution channels and you discover that KQ4LID is probably responsible.

Yes, arguably "team DXing" as W9KNI describes it was both easier and more effective than what we have with today's cluster. On the other hand, the cluster allows individuals to collect and exploit much more information about both the operating habits of needed DX stations and the likelihood of band openings than was feasible back then.

That aspect of it would be served if the detailed frequency information was stripped out... you know XX9XX is on 20m CW at 1400Z ... and you can go and find him too if you want.  Though that probably would put a huge dent in the data that was input... people would not want to make spots if the system didn't give them the information they need immediately.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
CBISBACK

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2011, 07:50:02 AM »

It never ceases to amaze me.

The comments in this thread are essentially the same we heard in the 1960s and 1970s about DXCC countries that were inactive for one reason or another.  Delete them or give us credit for them was the plea.  The concept of waiting then, and now, is foreign to the "got to have to have it now"  generation.

Who would have ever thought Vallio and Laine would be crazy enough to sit on a rock for days on end with sea water nipping at their toes, or other DX-peditioners going to other DXCC countries equally dangerous.

Maybe in our new politically correct world and our new found concern for anything that remotely appears dangerous we'll simply remove all those DXCC entities (or is it countries) that are "hard" to get. Level the playing field, make it easier, give everyone a chance to "have them all". YEA equality in DXCC, every one at the top.

Maybe we should remove the ones where there are less than 10 permanent operators, maybe we should remove the ones that don't have an airport or suitable docking facilities, or 4 star hotels.

50 years of DXing and nothing has changed, still the same whining.

P.S.  Oh, I have them all worked   Grin
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2011, 08:51:57 AM »

The DXAC works with the ARRL to put stuff on - and take stuff off the DXCC list. Along the way they change the rules. I enjoy reading the DX forum as entertainment, and even enjoy the gripes. But at the end of the day - we all have to play by whatever the ARRL says the rules are - regardless of how much (or little) patience and passion we have. I'm sure (somewhere along our pursuit) we wish we were on the DXAC. I've heard they have some pretty "lively" discussions.

Like having a few beers with a couple of buddies, I feel this forum is like that - people just venting, espousing or pontificating - and I get a kick out of it. Its great fun as I have my headphones on searching and waiting for the next band mode fill or all time new one. Way better than watching TV - which I haven't done in over 10 years.

K1VSK

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2011, 09:08:38 AM »

It never ceases to amaze me.

The comments in this thread are essentially the same we heard in the 1960s and 1970s about DXCC countries that were inactive for one reason or another.  Delete them or give us credit for them was the plea.  The concept of waiting then, and now, is foreign to the "got to have to have it now"  generation.

Who would have ever thought Vallio and Laine would be crazy enough to sit on a rock for days on end with sea water nipping at their toes, or other DX-peditioners going to other DXCC countries equally dangerous.

Maybe in our new politically correct world and our new found concern for anything that remotely appears dangerous we'll simply remove all those DXCC entities (or is it countries) that are "hard" to get. Level the playing field, make it easier, give everyone a chance to "have them all". YEA equality in DXCC, every one at the top.

Maybe we should remove the ones where there are less than 10 permanent operators, maybe we should remove the ones that don't have an airport or suitable docking facilities, or 4 star hotels.

P.S.  Oh, I have them all worked   Grin

Who would have ever thought the DXAC would be crazy enough to accredit a rock more akin to a navigation hazard than a land mass "with sea water nipping at their toes", or other DX-peditioners going to other DXCC countries equally stupid? That is the difference between the 60's and contemporary Dxing.

It isn't difficult to work them all (I have too with no special station or antennas) but cheapening the accomplishment with bogus credits only serves to further lessen the accomplishment for those of us who have worked them all.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2011, 12:47:43 PM »

Way better than watching TV - which I haven't done in over 10 years.

I find that hard to believe, you haven't watched any news, sports, nothing in 10 years!!
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2011, 12:55:46 PM »

I find that hard to believe, you haven't watched any news, sports, nothing in 10 years!!

Very occasionally I have rented a Netflix - but 10 years ago I got ride of Cable TV and just use Cable for my Internet Cable Modem.

I watch the Ham Radio instead . . . . and the Internet . . . .
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 12:59:22 PM by KY6R » Logged
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2011, 12:58:44 PM »

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/DXCC/DXAC%20List%202011.pdf

I asked my DXAC representative some questions regarding why entities are on the list and others not (since there seem to be some "anomalies"). A couple of very notable responses:

"The DXCC rules Section II. DXCC List Criteria
http://www.arrl.org/rules#Section_2
covers the addition and deletion of entities.  These rules were put in place in 1998 to establish clear criteria and eliminate some uncertainty and politics."

and

"Some countries on the current list do not meet the criteria but remain on the list as there were added prior to the current rules."

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 01:00:26 PM by KY6R » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: