Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top of the DXCC Honor Roll  (Read 25705 times)
CBISBACK

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2011, 02:32:14 PM »

Who would have ever thought the DXAC would be crazy enough to accredit a rock more akin to a navigation hazard than a land mass "with sea water nipping at their toes", or other DX-peditioners going to other DXCC countries equally stupid? That is the difference between the 60's and contemporary Dxing.

It isn't difficult to work them all (I have too with no special station or antennas) but cheapening the accomplishment with bogus credits only serves to further lessen the accomplishment for those of us who have worked them all.
================================================================

The rules is the rules.  Don't like'm, do something about it other than joining the whining class.

Cheapening would include removing a country because it's not active, or because it's hard to get there. In all the years I've been at it each of the current DXCC countries have been active multiple times. It ain't hard to work'm if you really want to work'm.   Plenty of excuses out there.

Sorry, but "I was away on business" or "I was inactive because of family matters" don't count. We've all been off the air for a variety of reasons and missed a new one.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2011, 11:38:36 PM »

This could be achieved with all the advantages of modern DX clusters (information delivered asynchronously to your computer, widespread spotting) if we moved to a social network style DX cluster.

If it's really juicy, just spot to your "friends."  If it's good but not earth-shattering, spot to "friends of friends."

This way the problem of pruning off the idiot branches becomes a distributed one.  If you notice a jammer appears every time you receive a "friends of friends"-level spot from a buddy, maybe you start to quietly test your outbound distribution channels and you discover that KQ4LID is probably responsible.

Now there's an idea: use Google+ as a spotting network.
K1VSK

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2011, 10:10:15 AM »

"Who would have ever thought the DXAC would be crazy enough to accredit a rock more akin to a navigation hazard than a land mass 'with sea water nipping at their toes'"

Uh, because it meets the DXCC list criteria?  It may be small, but if it is above water at high tide, and BS7H is, then it should be on the list, regardless of how hard it is to get to.

73s John AA5JG

Therein lies the problem. I think we all know the real story behind accreditation for this rock (which I worked so this isn't sour grapes). It's the fact that I or anyone else CAN'T do anything about the credibility vacuum which sours the whole accreditation process but it, as I said, is just a hobby. Doesn't make it right but it is true.
AC7DX

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2012, 03:24:32 PM »

I just received mine..#1 DXCC from a condo in a HOA Grin
Ron
AC7DX
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2012, 06:43:51 PM »

It never ceases to amaze me.

The comments in this thread are essentially the same we heard in the 1960s and 1970s about DXCC countries that were inactive for one reason or another.  Delete them or give us credit for them was the plea.  The concept of waiting then, and now, is foreign to the "got to have to have it now"  generation.

Who would have ever thought Vallio and Laine would be crazy enough to sit on a rock for days on end with sea water nipping at their toes, or other DX-peditioners going to other DXCC countries equally dangerous.

Maybe in our new politically correct world and our new found concern for anything that remotely appears dangerous we'll simply remove all those DXCC entities (or is it countries) that are "hard" to get. Level the playing field, make it easier, give everyone a chance to "have them all". YEA equality in DXCC, every one at the top.

Maybe we should remove the ones where there are less than 10 permanent operators, maybe we should remove the ones that don't have an airport or suitable docking facilities, or 4 star hotels.

50 years of DXing and nothing has changed, still the same whining.

P.S.  Oh, I have them all worked   Grin

Whats your call CBISBACK  ?

Bob
K6UJ
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2012, 08:28:33 PM »

Since my earlier posts - which yes, were whining about islands off limits due to environmental concerns - I have learned a lot by doing the blog "The DXCC Sleuth".

I have learned that the ones that seem impossible today - used to be a dime a dozen - activated almost yearly, and vice versa . . . .

Wht I have learned is that ya just gotta wait long enough for the rare to become common, and the common to become rare.

I am now 2 away from Honor Roll and only need these to work them all:

3Y0/B, E3, FR/G, FR/T, FT5Z, KH5K, KP1, SV/A, VK0/H, VP8/S, and ZL9

Since 7O6T, I realize that anything is possible . . . . just have to have patience.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2012, 08:43:45 PM »

Since my earlier posts - which yes, were whining about islands off limits due to environmental concerns - I have learned a lot by doing the blog "The DXCC Sleuth".

I have learned that the ones that seem impossible today - used to be a dime a dozen - activated almost yearly, and vice versa . . . .

Wht I have learned is that ya just gotta wait long enough for the rare to become common, and the common to become rare.

Since 7O6T, I realize that anything is possible . . . . just have to have patience.

Monk Apollo is QRV now, and ZL9 will be activated later this month -- so you have a very good shot at this!
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2012, 04:08:23 AM »

Monk Apollo is QRV now, and ZL9 will be activated later this month -- so you have a very good shot at this!

I'm the NA Pilot for ZL9HR and Heard Island 2014, and I will always hold out hope for an SV2ASP/A QSO - anything is possible - I thought EP was going to be "impossible" too.

In fact, this year half of the 6 ATNO's that I will have worked I thought were as "impossible" as SV2ASP/A.

This is the nature of DXCC - especially when you get close to HR or HR #1. You really have to have a ton of patience and perseverance.  Cheesy
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2012, 06:09:57 AM »

Therein lies the problem. I think we all know the real story behind accreditation for this rock (which I worked so this isn't sour grapes). It's the fact that I or anyone else CAN'T do anything about the credibility vacuum which sours the whole accreditation process but it, as I said, is just a hobby. Doesn't make it right but it is true.

From a guy who will probably never ever make honor roll much less top of honor roll... I am not at all offended by activated-rocks DXpeditions. The best equipped expeditions to rocks, I have no problem working them after the pile-ups have thinned down, and I enjoy doing it. Heck, one of the recent activated-rocks, I worked it and confirmed it on 8 bands. Wow, I'm not sure I even have the USA confirmed on 8 bands!

Nor am I offended by the deleted or inactive-and-not-yet-deleted countries.

Heck, I am so not-disillusioned, that I enjoy working VK's and ZL's every morning I'm up and on 40, and am still amazed that I can shake the electrons in a wire above my house, and a guy on the other side of the world can have his antenna electrons shaken in response, and we have a nice QSO. To me that's the essence of DX'ing (to me at least).

Tim.
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2012, 09:26:19 AM »

I can shake the electrons in a wire above my house, and a guy on the other side of the world can have his antenna electrons shaken in response, and we have a nice QSO. To me that's the essence of DX'ing (to me at least).

Tim.

Extremely well put. I sometimes stare with amazement at my wire up between two trees in my back yard. I am well aware that many cases the DX did most of the work. Smiley

At somewhere over 250 confirmed (Mixed) I also have a ways to go.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2012, 10:44:54 AM »

I agree that some of the entities are not going to be activated for quite some time. Political atmospheres change.  I am 30 years old and have only been dxing for a year.  There are quite a few operations I have missed when I was inactive.  I had my general at age 11.  But I know that in my lifetime, there will be activations and with some luck I will probably work them. I don't think Honor Roll #1 is a goal someone in their 60's should start on.  It may take me until I am 60 to get them all, but I agree with someone who earlier who said, the tough ones in 2012 might be easy one next decade.   

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2013, 01:40:54 PM »

I can shake the electrons in a wire above my house, and a guy on the other side of the world can have his antenna electrons shaken in response, and we have a nice QSO. To me that's the essence of DX'ing (to me at least).

Tim.

Extremely well put. I sometimes stare with amazement at my wire up between two trees in my back yard. I am well aware that many cases the DX did most of the work. Smiley

At somewhere over 250 confirmed (Mixed) I also have a ways to go.

Reserected from the hard drive....   There is some good stuff in here.   
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2013, 02:23:10 PM »

It may take me until I am 60 to get them all, but I agree with someone who earlier who said, the tough ones in 2012 might be easy one next decade.   

I would doubt that in the extreme. It's far more likely that even *more* places will be closed off in years to come. Once a location is closed there is basically a zero chance of it ever opening back up in our lifetimes or for many generations to come, at least until the utter collapse of the controlling government. Perhaps limited activations will be allowed from time to time as we're seeing at the moment but the nature of the eco-nuts is so fanatical that no places now off-limits will ever become commonplace again.

I'm not talking P5, EZ, 7O and XZ now. I'm talking thinks like KH1, KH3, KH4, KH5, KH7K, KP1, KP5, BS7 and other similar places. I doubt you'll ever see ZL9 open up to regular commercial traffic, nor Macquarie nor Heard, Crozet, Amsterdam and so on. I suspect you'll see a few of these formally closed off "in perpetuity" by their respective governing body in coming years, once some do-gooder finds a rare bug he wants protected.

I will go so far as to predict that the chance for a new DXer to even achieve Honor Roll at the lowest level will become borderline impossible in 20-25 years from now, assuming the rules and activation criteria remain as they are today. And again, all things equal, in 50 years, the guys with 300 or 305 will look at the guys with HR#1 with the same level of awe as we look at the guys with over 390 today. Respecting their achievements but knowing that no living soul will ever achieve those numbers again.

I think we will see P5 and XZ back into the fold in the next 10 years, but I also think we'll lose three times more than we gain.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2013, 03:10:43 PM »

It may take me until I am 60 to get them all, but I agree with someone who earlier who said, the tough ones in 2012 might be easy one next decade.   

I would doubt that in the extreme. It's far more likely that even *more* places will be closed off in years to come. Once a location is closed there is basically a zero chance of it ever opening back up in our lifetimes or for many generations to come, at least until the utter collapse of the controlling government. Perhaps limited activations will be allowed from time to time as we're seeing at the moment but the nature of the eco-nuts is so fanatical that no places now off-limits will ever become commonplace again.

I'm not talking P5, EZ, 7O and XZ now. I'm talking thinks like KH1, KH3, KH4, KH5, KH7K, KP1, KP5, BS7 and other similar places. I doubt you'll ever see ZL9 open up to regular commercial traffic, nor Macquarie nor Heard, Crozet, Amsterdam and so on. I suspect you'll see a few of these formally closed off "in perpetuity" by their respective governing body in coming years, once some do-gooder finds a rare bug he wants protected.

I will go so far as to predict that the chance for a new DXer to even achieve Honor Roll at the lowest level will become borderline impossible in 20-25 years from now, assuming the rules and activation criteria remain as they are today. And again, all things equal, in 50 years, the guys with 300 or 305 will look at the guys with HR#1 with the same level of awe as we look at the guys with over 390 today. Respecting their achievements but knowing that no living soul will ever achieve those numbers again.

I think we will see P5 and XZ back into the fold in the next 10 years, but I also think we'll lose three times more than we gain.

In some ways the chase has gotten easier, spotting networks, electronic QSLing, great antenna software.  I think you are right, as usual Peter, Geo Politics will be the big hurdle for us relative newcomers.   

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2013, 04:23:35 PM »

QUOTE - In some ways the chase has gotten easier, spotting networks, electronic QSLing, great antenna software.  I think you are right, as usual Peter, Geo Politics will be the big hurdle for us relative newcomers.  

----

Yes, like everything else around us.. the QSL process is much faster.   You can get a QSL by the time you finish your QSO and look it up.   Software automatically uploads and e-services match.

I enjoy the cards more, but getting the log confirmed quickly is nice.   I prefer both and I send out QSL cards for new Countries.  I just finished my States.   I'll do QSL cards for WAS with 80 and 160M.   The others will be electronic.

Have fun doing it... open your presents too fast and Christmas is over and you need to pickup all the trash...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:52:30 PM by WH7DX » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: