Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paddle Keys  (Read 439 times)
KE4IZA

Ignore
« on: April 08, 2003, 07:19:00 AM »

Since I have never actually seen or used one can someone tell me what the difference between a single paddle and a dual paddles is?  I mean in operation.

Thanks
G4GXL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 10:47:06 AM »

Hello James

Take a look at www.morsex.com to see a good selection of paddles of all types.

With a single paddle, move paddle in one direction to get a stream of dots, move it in the other direction to get a stream of dashes. Tap the paddle in the appropriate direction for a single dot or dash. So to send an 'F' ( ..-. ), move paddle to send 2 dots, then the other direction for a dash, back again for final dot; a total of 3 movements. Similarly, a 'C' ( -.-. ) would take 4 movements.

A dual paddle has 2 paddles ! One for a stream of dots and one for a stream of dashes. However if the paddles are 'squeezed' together you will get a stream of alternating dots and dashes. When holding the dot paddle to get a stream of dots, tapping the dash paddle will insert a dash into the dot stream (and vice-versa).

So now, to send an 'F', move the dot paddle for 2 dots, keep it held in, tap the dash paddle and release. A total of 2 movements. A 'C' would be sent by squeezing both paddles, with the dash paddle very slightly before the dot paddle; effectively a single movement.

Which to choose ? Entirely personal preferance. A dual paddle will eventually let you send faster code and will be less tiring. However a single paddle is capable of being used way beyond the speeds that the majority of hams use on the air. A dual paddle is a little bit more tricky to get used to and need a slightly more delicate touch, but not so much that it should sway you one way or the other.

See if you can try both sorts at a local club or ham store. Whatever you get, go for quality. A good paddle will last a lifetime and is a joy to use. A cheap paddle is a pain in the bottom and will put you off CW for life.

Sorry for going on a bit !

73 Steve, G4GXL

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 05:31:30 PM »

G4GXL described it well.

The only thing I can add is, you can use a dual-lever paddle to send iambic or non-iambic, squeeze mode or not.  But, you cannot use a single-lever paddle for all these things.

Thus, if anyone is investing in their very first paddle and wants to explore all possible options, a dual-lever, dual-paddle key is the only way to go.  It allows you to use it exactly like a single-lever key if you wish...but if you want to try new things, it allows you to try iambic squeeze keying also.  With a single-lever key, you'll never have that option.

WB2WIK/6
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2003, 12:34:13 AM »

I heartily reccommend you buy a nice straight key for starters, and atach it ot a heavy base so it doesn't "walk " on you.  use a nice brass key and try to stay away from those little plastic numbers with no bearings.  When you send well with a straight key and have learned to have a good fist, then try the paddles or keyers..learn to walk before you run.. Please    73 tom N6AJR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: