Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My motorcycle mobile 2m setup  (Read 2830 times)
KJ1H

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2011, 08:14:35 AM »

It took me a while, but I got the setup on my Honda GL500i working.  It's an HTX-202, a 1/2 wave whip, powered off the bike and using a headset from Kawamall.  I posted a YouTube video showing the details of the setup for anyone interested.  It seems my original problem of not getting into repeaters was limited to the particular repeater system I was using in Maine.  I haven't had the same problem with repeaters in Massachusetts where I live now.

73 - Justin
HAPLO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 06:09:22 PM »

Not a bad video. The mic is a little noisy though. If you decide to change out headsets at some point in the future, I have had really good luck with Midland's BT1 head set (bluetooth rider to passenger intercom system). I've used it a lot to talk to my passenger, and also to my cell phone. Most people can't even tell I'm on a motorcycle at 70+ mph on the highway when they're talking to me on it. It has an input connection for an external radio (2.5mm TRS connector I believe).

What is the PTT button you're using on the handle bar? That's a good setup with it being velcro and not permanent.

Thanks,
H.
WB0KSL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 08:00:20 PM »

That looked to me like an aviation PTT switch.  Fairly inexpensive, very durable.  I'm sure you can buy them through Aircraft Spruce, Sporty's, or maybe your local airport FBO would have one on hand.  They are designed to go in line with the microphone cable from the aviation headset to the Mike input jack on the aircraft panel.  I'm getting back into riding after a 15 year break.  Last bike was a GoldWing.  I just bought a Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec scooter. (100+mph scooter designed for touring).  Going through the process of setting up the rider/pillion intercom now, with 2m radio interface to follow.  Good video.

73 de WB0KSL
KJ1H

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 10:29:04 PM »

This is the headset: http://www.kawamall.com/pd_1x_icomhelmtspka.cfm

It includes the boom mic, speakers, PTT switch, and wiring. I'd like to find a way to further reduce how much engine noise gets out over the air, though at the lower speeds I'll be mostly riding (I intend to use this for public service events and such) it'll be less of a problem.  I'm running a stock exhaust, so I doubt I can make the bike itself much quieter than it already is.

73 - Justin
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 04:28:56 PM »

Let me guess...you had issues w/ the KQ1L repeater network...

HAPLO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 05:41:09 PM »

I'm running a stock exhaust, so I doubt I can make the bike itself much quieter than it already is.

I wasn't inferring the bike was noisy, just the microphone. The noise cancelling microphone technology in the BT1S headset I have works really well. Still though, good video, and thanks for the reply on the PTT.

H.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: