Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT450 issue HELP?  (Read 11820 times)
N5XTR

Ignore
« on: September 05, 2011, 07:39:34 AM »

My FT450 has a problem.  The TX light is flashing.  I cannot transmit at all.  I have done everything I can think of ... hard resets, factory reset, unplugged all cables and yanked the power cables.  Still flashing.
Any ideas?
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 08:22:37 AM »

Maybe?

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=55442.0
N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:00:15 AM »

I read that thread first.  No solution has worked yet.  My rig is one month out of warranty Cry
KA1VF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 05:36:52 PM »

I've got a slightly different XMIT problem with my FT-450AT, it stopped XMITing
on 20 meters during a CW Contest, and it won't XMIT any modes on 20 meters.

note: I've tried the factory software reset procedure (Full Reset), but not fixed.
note: I'm getting ready to try reloading the firmware (0194) from the Internet.
note: what's weird is the rig tunes a flat SWR on 20, but XMITs infinity SWR.
note: what's also weird is that XMIT is normal on all other bands/modes.
note: I've read thru the schematics/blocks, but can't find only 20 meters.

73, de KA1VF

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 05:59:22 PM »

note: I've read thru the schematics/blocks, but can't find only 20 meters.

Here's a link to the service manual if you need it: http://www.radiomanual.eu/schemi/FT450_serv.pdf

Go to the schematic for the power amplifier (PA) section. On the right you'll see a vertical stack of L-C circuits that look exactly like bandpass filters for different bands. They're switched in & out by relay contacts on both ends and are labeled by frequency. The filter for 10 / 14 MHz in your radio has either developed a bad part or (more likely) one of the relays has failed.

Put a dummy load on the radio then try to transmit on 10 MHz (30 Meters). If both 30 and 20 Meters won't transmit your 10 / 14 MHz output filter segment ist kaput.

Note to N5XTR: You have downloaded the service manual shown above and spent quality time going through the circuit description and troubleshooting chapters... Right?

Never change a password on a Friday                
N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 06:46:48 PM »

No I have not read the Service manual, the link does not work. 

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /schemi/FT450_serv.pdf on this server.

My rig will not transmit on any band.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 06:55:27 PM »

That's weird... The link was working earlier. Try this instead: http://www.radiomanual.eu/YAESU.html

Scroll down until you see the FT-450 service manual, right click and save. I just tried it and it's working at the moment.

Could be some clues about your specific problem or at least give you a better understanding of the radio.

N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 07:33:14 PM »

That link works!  Thanks
N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 07:57:38 PM »

Tried the Relay cleaning mode.  PWR on while holding BAND UP and DOWN.  Still nothing...

I found a tiny switch on the bottom of the rig near the RF gain and AF gain knobs.  Programming switch I think.  No help from that.

N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 08:34:37 AM »

Called Yaesu service, they said the flashing TX is a protection feature to prevent the radio from transmitting on power up.  So this leads me to believe that either a PTT relay, IC, or optocoupler from the CAT port is stuck on transmit.  I use this radio almost exclusively for 6M meteor scatter.  Time to crack the case and do some digging.  So much for September VHF this weekend unless I get it fixed before then.

AC5UP, thanks again for the link to the service manual.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 11:29:59 AM »

AC5UP, thanks again for the link to the service manual.

Radio Amateur EU is one of the best of the never-heard-of-it sites in terms of service manuals. If you have some spare time it might be worth poking around to download manuals for other rigs you may have since the site could go toes-up without notice. Not saying it will, but Stuff Happens, ya' know.

Another unsung resource is CB Tricks.... http://www.cbtricks.com/

Excellent resource for mic pinouts on both the mic and rig side along with amplifier schematics. Yeah, but that's only for CB gear, right? Don't kid yourself... Bubba graduated to Kenyaecom years ago and loves him that kaydub afterburner. You'd be surprised at how much Ham gear is documented, especially the older stuff because it was so much more "flexible" than the newer gear.

Ya' never know who's on the other side of the Q......... http://www.cbtricks.com/pub/mags/s9_magazine/1965/graphics/mar_1965.png

N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 09:42:54 AM »

The radio left for Yaesu today.  Good conversations by phone and email to their tech support personnel.  I also ordered the AF gain knob and potentiometer for my ft817 for less than $20.  (2 year old daughter got my attention that way) 

This is from an email conversation.

"The flashing TX light is telling you that you have a short on the PRR line
someplace. Are you using a CW key or an interface box of some kind connected
to the rear of the radio? If you are using an MD-100 microphone make sure
that the PTT switch on the microphone itself is not pressed in. You might
want to disconnect everything from the radio and then see if the problem
goes away. If not then you can send it to us for repair but in every case
where we saw this, there was a short from an external device."

Unfortunately this short is inside the rig in my case.  I did visually inspect each board in this radio and look for damage.  Which I found none.  I am very impressed with the cooling system in this radio. 
Tonight I will test the mic, straight key and soundcard interface on my ft817.
Hopefully I will not have any issues with them as they have been reliable for years. 
N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 08:46:34 AM »

All of my accessories check out ok on my ft817nd.
I called Yaesu today to check on the repair status.

They couldn't find my rig and it has not been checked in to their systems.
I am not very pleased.
I have confirmation that they received it 9-13.  It is now 9-22 and I was quoted a ten day turn-around.
KA1VF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 07:04:48 PM »

I'd like to thank AC5UP for his expertise reading the Schematics, but that's not the answer!

My FT-450AT tunes a flat SWR on 20m and 30m, but only has the XMIT problem on 20m.

Also, I've just noticed that it tunes a flat SWR on 6m, but it XMIT's infinity SWR on 6m.

note: I'm thinking about trying another factory software reset with all cables disconnected?

back to the drawing board,  de KA1VF
N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 12:43:48 PM »

I got a call from Yaesu yesterday, my rig was found in their warehouse after being there for three weeks.
Had to pay $35 to get it assigned to a technician and diagnose.
A few hours later, another call from Yaesu...bad part on control board, cannot replace part, must replace the board.
$266 and change.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: