Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THIEF from the U.K.  (Read 7098 times)
K6RQR

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2011, 03:14:53 PM »

Beware of being sold a transceiver by someone who identifies himself as "Ian Taylor" M3EDX or "Innes McLeod" M1ICM  He is a shameless scammer who will try and sell you the same rig twice with another alias. The two rigs that I know of are an FT-890 and an FT-920. He requires you to send money via Money Gram and says he will use DHL. Don't fall for this identity thief and POS.

Bruce  K6RQR

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 04:59:50 PM »

I have ordered things from Canada and Hong Kong well established dealers with 100% Ebay feedback, but that is as far as I go making any business deals with people in foreign countries. If I can avoid that, I do!  Wink

Never, ever buy something from an individual ham from a foreign country. You are going to get burned and you have no way to get your money back.  Cry  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 08:28:58 PM by KI4SDY » Logged
K6RQR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 02:29:16 PM »

Here is the latest about this thief. I still had my ad up and he contacted me AGAIN using the name of Tony Hulme and the call of G7OEM. It was the same scam about selling me an FT-890. I contacted the real Tony and he kindly responded and said that it was definitely not him. I had looked him up on QRZ to get his real email address (the scammer used Tony's call @rocketmail.com) The picture of Tony's shack does not even have an FT-890 in it. So, beware of any ham from the UK who offers to sell you an FT-890 or an FT-920, which I mentioned earlier in this thread. This guy is shameless and I can only hope that somebody over there will nail him for mail fraud. I have since removed the WTB ad because I found an excellent FT-890 on ebay and it is on its way. Also, I will never use MoneyGram again to send funds to someone I don't know. Unlike PayPal there is nothing the sender can do once the money has been picked up. I can still hardly believe that MoneyGram does not require an ID to pick up transferred money, only an transaction number.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 02:18:02 PM »

Hey Bruce:

First of all I am so sorry that this happened to you.
Being scammed hurts and being scammed by someone impersonating
a fellow ham hurts triple worse.

This guy is shameless and I can only hope that somebody over there will nail him for mail fraud.

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but
NOTHING at all is going to happen with your case until YOU file a report as a fraud victim.

Sorry to sound blunt, but that's the facts.  You gotta be proactive.
I would start out by filing a formal fraud complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).
You can Google it.  It is a joint task force operated by the FBI, the Dept of Justice, and
a couple other Fed law enforcement agencies. They will want all of your email correspondence with this guy including his incoming emails with the complete headers so they can extract and hopefully trace his ISP Address.  You WILL be adding to IC3's database of known scammer ISP's. This could
come in as valuable evidence if they ever catch this guy. And you may prevent some other fellow
from being robbed.

You can also extract and trace this guy's ISP Addy by yourself from the complete header of an incoming email of his. If you don't know how to do this, either research it on the Net or contact me at my QRZ email and I will help you.

In all fairness to our fellow hams across the pond, they are being victimized in ever increasing numbers, far more than ANY other nation, by this scam modality of "spoofing" or "borrowing" a
callsign, then inventing a likely sounding free email account for that callsign. It's super easy to do.
Anyone, anywhere (West Africa?) can sign up for a freemail account like "G5XYZ@yahoo.co.uk".

Even a phone number for a UK ham can be spoofed.
If you ask and get one that starts 0-44-70x, that "70x" is a cell phone redirect
that could go anywhere, even out of the UK.
West African scammers use it all the time.

Also be aware that funds sent Western Union or Moneygram, even directed to "Joe Smith,
Liverpool, England, UK" can be picked up virtually ANYWHERE as long as the scammer has
the MTCN (Money Transfer Control Number). As for the receiving WU or MG Agent asking for proper
ID from the receiver, that is a joke a 10 spot can take care of, especially when the MG
"office" is in a mom and pop liquor store in an economically depressed area. Heck, many of these
"satelite" WU and MG "offices" in stores and markets are IN ON the scams.

I would also contact "abuse@rocketmail.com" and tell them all about it, and forward the scammer's
emails when asked. Using an email to run scams violates the "Terms of Service Agreement" and
they will close down his account. Though you might want to contact IC3 before you do this. Up to you.
Of course he can get another free email addy in 30 seconds,but it may cause him to wonder.
More importantly, he might have important (to him) info in that account he would lose
if they shut it down. (His other email addy's and passwords, other victim's correspondence, even incoming money transfer numbers he's waiting on)

Again, so sorry to hear about your experience.
Let me know if I can help tracing the ISP Addy of the scammer,
if only for your peace of mind that it did or did not originate in the UK.
73, Ken  AD6KA
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:20:23 PM by AD6KA » Logged
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 05:54:19 PM »

How close can anyone trace an IP number? The closest I can get is to the hub where the IP number is assigned.

I can't even get to the modem or address of a modem that is assigned an IP number through supeona of ATT or Comcast. They (CT in Texas is ATT's agent) do not respond to subpoenas.

W4QG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 09:14:14 AM »

This piece of trash just tried to burn me on an ad I placed on QTH.com  -- using the G7OEM alias..  Thank you all for the VERY useful post.
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 10:40:34 PM »

Never, ever buy something from an individual ham from a foreign country. You are going to get burned and you have no way to get your money back

Thank-you for your blanket condemnation of non-US hams.  Perhaps I should warn all Thai and other Asian hams never to buy anything from a ham in the USA???

One should be careful in regards to all purchases and perhaps more careful of those hams who try to use their 'western' location as a demonstration of their integrity...

Simon
Phuket, Thailand
(home of thieves, scoundrels and ladyboys...)
G8WWD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 08:49:49 AM »

Never, ever buy something from an individual ham from a foreign country. You are going to get burned and you have no way to get your money back

Thank-you for your blanket condemnation of non-US hams.  Perhaps I should warn all Thai and other Asian hams never to buy anything from a ham in the USA???

One should be careful in regards to all purchases and perhaps more careful of those hams who try to use their 'western' location as a demonstration of their integrity...

Simon
Phuket, Thailand
(home of thieves, scoundrels and ladyboys...)

Well said Simon.  Grin

People are always quick to tar us all with the same brush. As a UK ham, I find the thread title "THIEF from the U.K." rather offensive when it is not even proven that the thief really is from the UK as has been pointed out by others. Many of these scammers use UK mobile numbers and UK people's names, addresses, etc. as their alter ego identities for crime, but one heck of a high percentage have no more connection with the UK than they do with the US, Australia or Japan!

In the UK our crime figures per capita are roughly in line with those in the USA. In reality, after adjusting for the difference in population (62m in the UK vs 312m in the US), the US has around 5 times as many villains than we have in the UK!

Next time guys, try using a more accurate title, such as "THIEF purporting to be from the UK" or "THIEF using using UK callsigns"!

Gordon G8WWD
Glad to be from the UK where there are fewer villains! Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: