Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice about Vibroplex Bugs needed  (Read 616 times)
SAMUALT

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2003, 07:22:08 PM »

I've been looking at Vibroplex's and reading their web site. Something that struck me was that they kept saying effective speed 20-50 wpm. Does this mean that a Vibroplex Bug is not good at 5 wpm?

Also, on the Vibroplex site it says nothing about how the bugs are used! No manual of operation or nothing that I could find. I am a complete newbie and wish to know how they are used. The key is mounted sideways!
1. Do you use thumb and a finger to operate?
2. Does left send a dot and right dash or something?

Any help apreciated.......Sam

P.S. I have a good striaght key now. I was just looking into the Vibroplex bugs and wanted to know more about them. Thanks.
SAMUALT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 10:17:19 PM »

Found a manual.
http://www.hamanuals.com/MMans/vibroa.pdf

It doesn't say much, but will give you the gist of how the bugs work. You'd think the Vibroplex site would show this, or even have a whole section dedicated to how to use their products.
K0EWS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2003, 01:13:40 AM »

Check out this page.  It's pretty informative.
http://www.metronet.com/~nmcewen/bug_adjust.html
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 11:37:43 PM »

Sam asks:

"Does this mean that a Vibroplex Bug is not good at 5 wpm?"

Yep, that's pretty much the deal.  Because dots are generated by the pendulum motion of the arm, kept in motion by the spring, and speed adjusted by weight, there is a practical limit as to how slow they can go.

"1. Do you use thumb and a finger to operate?"

Yes.  the back and forth motion (side to side) is much less fatiguing than the up and down motion of a straight key.  However at slower speeds...5 wpm, for instance...a straight key is the superior instrument.

"2. Does left send a dot and right dash or something?"

Exactly, unless you have a left handed bug, in which case the motion is reversed.  It takes a fairly substantial whack with the thumb to get the pendulum vibrating and generating dots cleanly.  Limp wristed input will yield truncated, scratchy sounding results.    For this reason, bug use is a more physical endeavor than electronic keying with a paddle.  The forefinger generates dots manually exactly like a straight key, except for the sideways input.
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 12:08:53 PM »

I ran a bug for a year or two, before I built my first electronic keyer, and they require A LOT OF PRACTICE.  I hear far too many stations on the air who have interminable dahs and dits like engine spark noise.  It's _Really_ hard to copy that kind of CW - hard enough that I tend to pass them up.  Practice a lot before going on the air and make sure you can adjust your bug properly and send good, well-spaced and proportioned CW.  You'll make more contacts and I will personally thank you if we meet on the air.
73 de kt8k - Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: