Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When should you reply to a CQ DX call?  (Read 771 times)
G4OFV

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2003, 05:41:48 PM »

Hi guys

I had this question now for must be about 20 years and never got a clear answer.

I hear a lot of stations in USA CW stations calling CQ DX on 40 30 20 I very rarely call back to these stations as I don’t really class G (UK) stations DX, am I right in assuming this or should I call back to you guys?

Example a lot of Europe big boys calling CQ DX on phone and CW on 40 there normally S9 +10dB and there always seem a lot of “local” stations reply i.e. an SP or R* calling CQ DX and a G station calls back, to me this isn’t DX especially when the band is open.

Another example I sometimes hear Argentina and Brazil on 40/30 calling DX again I don’t reply to there call as I don’t think a G station is DX to them, am I right?

I guess you can always get selective hearing if you don’t wont to work that station calling you.

Look forward to your thoughts.

73’s all Neil
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 11:57:02 AM »

It's obviously open to interpretation, but I think most of us feel that "DX" means a station on a different continent.  W vs. VE = not DX.  W vs. XE = not DX.  G vs. SP = not DX.  G vs. W = DX!

WB2WIK/6
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 12:26:21 PM »

Anything outside one's own continent is definitely DX.  Some of the rest of it would be subjective.  For example, even though Mexico and the other Central American countries are technically part of North America, I would consider them DX, expecially from my location in Michigan.

If someone outside your own country is calling "CQ DX" and they aren't getting any takers, go ahead and answer.  At worst they will ignore you or tell you they aren't interested.  At best, you'll have a real nice QSO.

Also keep in mind that DX awards only require that they be outside your own country.

K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2003, 09:21:56 PM »

I would stick to Steve's definition of DX, namely outside one's own continent.  I wouldn't reply to a Cuban or Mexican station calling "CQ DX" because I would think they are looking for something rather more exotic than the ubiquitous W/K/VE station.  Probably the same sort of reasoning applys to those booming continental signals for you.  I wouldn't think one calling "CQ DX" should be too terribly choosey, though.  After all, it's still a "CQ" call, implying that one will talk to whomever replies.  Although I rarely call "CQ DX," I would be pleased to have you reply to my "CQ" call, be it "CQ DX" or otherwise.
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2003, 09:18:03 PM »

Open to interpretation, of course, but I agree with what has already been said.  Interestingly, "DX" for us appears to include Cuba, which isn't very far away at all.  Yet I hear Cuban stations answer CQ DX calls from W/K hams, and I hear W/K hams answer CQ DX calls from Cubans.  

Central America also seems to qualify for DX, yet for many it isn't considered that.  Panama, Salvador, Costa Rica, are so commonly heard here if I hear one calling CQ DX I am not likely to answer, as I feel he's more interested in a longer haul.  

But then Venezuela is definitely another continent, but, as the expression goes, they are 'a dime a dozen."  I'm sure they feel exactly the same about us, so if I hear a Venezuelan station calling CQ DX I would not be so presumptous as to think I'm the fella he's seeking.  Still, Cuba is closer.  

So I guess it sort of matters what band you are on.  If you're on 75 meter SSB in our evening, you are probably DX.  On 20 CW you probably are not very rare at all.

Anyway, I go along with Steve (WIK) except I toss in Cuba as DX, despite its very short haul.

Ed
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2003, 06:17:54 PM »

DX does NOT mean rare.  It simply means distance.  Whether a country is rare or not is irrelevant. However that doesn't mean a person should go after everyone.  If they've got a large pileup and I've got several in the log from that country, I'll skip him.  However, if he's been calling a while with no takers, I'll go ahead and answer.  If I get lucky, he may be interested in taking some time to just talk.
VE3IVM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2003, 11:29:03 PM »

When I'm hunting, to me DX means rare stations fist, distant stations second.

When I'm initiating a CQ DX call, I assume distant contacts by default. If a rare calls me, I become even happier.

A while ago, in 70s, for lots of us word 'DX' was a direct equivalent of 'rare station'. I guess it just has 2 meanings, like many other words. If not, what "DXpedition" is then?

KF6VCI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2003, 08:12:57 PM »

Well, I'm a beginner and was told, 3,000+ km constitutes the distance to make a QSO DX. 73,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: