Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Bird Attenuator for Dummy load ??  (Read 1506 times)
N2OAM

Ignore
« on: September 11, 2011, 06:09:45 PM »

I have a large (2KW) Bird 30db attenuator. I believe 30db is a factor of 1,000, so 2KW in gives me 2 watts out.........Now, if I run the output of the attenuator into a 50 watt (LOTS of head room) dummy load, I can use this setup as a 2KW dummy load ?? Almost sounds too good to be true!

I will be using this with an Alpha 86 and a Ten Tec Titan 425. I would like to be sure this setup will work the way I think it will......... I don't want smoke a pair of 3CX800A7's.

Thank you for your input.

73 de bob,
n2oam
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 06:22:46 PM »

I have a large (2KW) Bird 30db attenuator. I believe 30db is a factor of 1,000, so 2KW in gives me 2 watts out.........Now, if I run the output of the attenuator into a 50 watt (LOTS of head room) dummy load, I can use this setup as a 2KW dummy load ?? Almost sounds too good to be true!

I will be using this with an Alpha 86 and a Ten Tec Titan 425. I would like to be sure this setup will work the way I think it will......... I don't want smoke a pair of 3CX800A7's.

Thank you for your input.

73 de bob,
n2oam

My standard bench loads are a 2kW Bird 30 dB attenuator (no termination is required) and when I need high power a water cooled 50 kW 30 dB attenuator with a 3" flange.

Neither requires any pad, because a 30 dB attenuator has 60 dB return loss. Any load you add is meaningless.
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 08:33:24 AM »

Bob,

Tom's right, a load on the attenuator output is not at all necessary.  I've used open-ended attenuators many times as a calibrated mismatch for testing.  For example an open-ended 3 dB pad presents a VSWR of 3:1, and a 10 dB pad is 1.22:1.  Your 30dB attenuator with nothing on the output is a 1.002:1 VSWR, which is probably as good or better than most Bird high power loads.

Don, K2DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: