Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ameritron 811H 10 meter mod.  (Read 9193 times)
W9KDX

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2011, 04:26:24 AM »

This is the only illustration of which green wire I am to cut to the 10 meter mod.

http://km5ps.com/AL811H/10%20mtr%20mod%20al811h.jpg

I am cautious so would you guys please confirm that this is right and that there is nothing else needed?  I hate to just cut wires unless I am certain.

Thanks

Sam
W9KDX
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 04:53:20 AM »

The photo is too big and too blurred to see the wire.  The wire you want to snip is located right near the 10m coil it is green and goes to ground.  There should be no other green wire there. So that is the one.  Snip it off ground and that is all you need to do.  There are several threads on this in the archives.
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 12:11:03 PM »

Picture was fine on my computer even blown up and yes the cut wire there was the right one. How ever if in doubt please like Lou said there plenty of references to it on the net.  Did not look but MODS DK usually has plenty of that kind of information on it.  Jeff
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 03:32:17 PM »

It appears that you cut the correct wire.  However in the picture the wire looks
gray instead of green.  That might be something about the picture which is clear and
in focus (the expanded version is a bit fuzzy).

Allen
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 06:55:15 PM »

Picture was fine on my computer even blown up and yes the cut wire there was the right one. How ever if in doubt please like Lou said there plenty of references to it on the net.  Did not look but MODS DK usually has plenty of that kind of information on it.  Jeff

Thanks for the link, but he had nothing.  Everything I had read points to that wire but even then there seems to be some confusion among a lot of posters elsewhere as this wire loops around and looks like two wires.

If you guys are certain, that's good enough for me.

Thanks

Sam
W9KDX
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:11:23 PM »

Pretty much ALL the AMeritron tube amplifiers have the same 10 meter mod.  Cut the green wire to ground on the 10m input coil.  That's it nothing more nothing less.  It's that simple!!  Now if you want an amp that you have to jump through hoops of fire to get on 10 meters, try an SB-221 or an HL-2200. Grin Huh  Many of the Dentron amps had a 10 meter filter on the input circuit that was not shown on the schematic.  It needs to be bypassed or removed and the tank coil needed to be tapped and the bandswitch stop needed to be advanced one click.  Different companys had different methods of "spoiling" 10 meters.  Heathkit was the hardest to overcome.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 06:38:58 AM »

Everything I had read points to that wire but even then there seems to be some confusion among a lot of posters elsewhere as this wire loops around and looks like two wires.

I think it's probably intentionally confusing now just to make people doubt the mods they're reading on the internet.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
AE6YB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 08:27:34 PM »

After you cut the wire, where do you set the band switch, AUX?
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 05:18:43 AM »

After you cut the wire, where do you set the band switch, AUX?

Yes AUX is then 10M
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »

The reason it was sort of a "secret" was to make sure only hams knew to do what was needed.  to get on 10 m you had to have the factory  tell you once you got you ham license. the rest of us  refered folks to the factory, unless we personally knew you had your ticket.  Now the push is  not so much on keeping  the CB'ers off the amps on the 11 meter band, but I suppose that is a lost cause by now. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: