The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F-150 TM-281 Installation.  (Read 1155 times)
N6XJP

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2016, 03:21:50 PM »

It's a 2016 F-150.  Replaced truck, now time to replace my 26 year old Alinco 2 meter transceiver.  The "power points" are advertised to be 12 V (nominal), 180 watt capable...and with my calcs, that should give me 15 amp capability.  More than enough to run the 281M at low power with occasional transients to high power.  I almost never use high power.  Never. 

Anyone have direct experience with the power points?  Yes, I know it's aluminum, but antenna mount will not be an issue. 

I don't need opinions, theory, dos and don'ts, long drawn out "you'd be better to wire directly off the battery" esoteric ramblings.  Just wanna know if anyone is using the "power points" and with what luck.

Dave
N6XJP
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 05:11:21 AM »

I have never wired directly to battery in 40 years and never had a problem. Most cars and especially trucks/SUV's have a aux power terminal in main fuse block you can use to feed rig. I have also used a inline filter choke with most of my installs. This can keep electronic noise out of power feed and prevent RF from back feeding too.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20 WPM Extra
K5BBC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 02:10:46 PM »

Just curious, what will the antenna install be?
AB0RE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 06:22:42 PM »

Hi Dave,

Two things come to mind using the powerport:

#1 - potential for voltage drop as the power ports usually use smaller gauge wire.  Perhaps put a multimeter in parallel with the power feed and see what the voltage drop is on transmit.  If the lowest-read voltage is w/in the spec of the TM281A's requirements, you're in business (13.8VDC +/- 15% = 11.73VDC at the low end)

#2 - potential for noise ingress on your TX/RX signal.  If you don't hear noise on your TX or RX signal, also doing well.

Have fun with the F150 and the 281 (a great radio) - going with an aluminum body certainly was an industry game changer for Ford - sounds like it's working out well for them, though.

Dan / ab0re
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: