Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP Portable call sign  (Read 4491 times)
KC8SLC

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2011, 05:34:58 AM »

Hello everyone!!  I'm looking at operating qrp portable here in my home state. What do I add to my call sign to indicate this, or do I need to? Tim.
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 07:21:50 AM »

You do not HAVE to add anything to your call sign. But you can sign as, "(your call sign / QRP."
This will tell everybody you are QRP if you want them to know up front.

Barry
AA5TB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 08:03:55 AM »

If I add anything I prefer not to use the slash.  For example, I'll use "de AA5TB QRP K" instead of "de AA5TB/QRP K".  The reason for this is that some of the folks that you work will put AA5TB/QRP in their logs otherwise and that screws up stuff like my Log Book of the World account.  There may be ways around this by linking the two calls together (AA5TB/QRP is a separate call from AA5TB) but I'm not sure how to do this.  Also in some countries it is illegal to add /QRP to their call but it is okay in the U.S.

It's okay to do it either way in the U.S.  I just thought I'd tell you the way I do it and why.

Steve - AA5TB
KC8SLC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 04:09:05 PM »

Thanks for the input guys!!!!!!!!! Tim.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 10:46:09 AM »

I wouldn't modify my call (unless you're operating outside your call area region).

Sometimes folks will indicate if they are portable and activating an island or peak in the 'Islands on the Air' or 'Summits on the Air' programs.

As an example, I might call:

CQ CQ CQ DE W5ESE W5ESE SOTA W5/GU004 K

if, for example, I'm operating on Hunter Peak in the Guadalupe Mountains
(which is W5/GU-004 in the SoTA registry).

73 and have fun with it - Scott
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 03:24:11 PM »

At the moment I operate exclusively QRP, but I identify only as LA9XSA or LA9XSA/P depending on if I use a permanent installation (antenna, power, etc.) non-portable, or am running from battey power and a temporary antenna portable. I don't add the /QRP unless I have to - at least that's how I do it these days.

As for LotW, once you have your main call in there, you just generate a request for your /P or /QRP callsign and sign it with the certificate for your main call. I have two separate log files for my stationary and portable operations, but if you have a more advanced database based logging program, you can keep it all in one log and only export the portable or non-portable QSOs for signing with tQSL.
W2LJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 11:26:53 AM »

I never mention that I am operating QRP.  Just another fish in the pond, maybe just smaller.  Believe it or not, some guys get scared off when they find they are working a QRPer - other guys refuse to work QRPers.  Fortunately, these are but a tiny minority.

Larry W2LJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: