Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW practice after the Character learning  (Read 8323 times)
VK2FAK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 03:49:23 PM »

hi all....

I was reading some older ideas last evening and came across this idea to lean to copy in your head..
The idea was to have someone read a sentence to you but only using the letters not the words, that is spelling it out......and then you try to understand the story.....you use some form of timing so the person knows when to give you the next letter...so it equates close to the wpm your interested in...    It was said this helps you put the code/letters coming into your head into something you can understand and follow..

I notice there are not many comments about the sending....did you practice sending plain text over and over till the words stuck in your head and arm....or do you try to spell and send at the same time...at 30+wpm...spelling and sending would be a challenge.

John
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 05:54:13 PM by VK2FAK » Logged
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 06:15:41 PM »

hi all....

I was reading some older ideas last evening and came across this idea to lean to copy in your head..
The idea was to have someone read a sentence to you but only using the letters not the words, that is spelling it out......and then you try to understand the story.....you use some form of timing so the person knows when to give you the next

John

Because the xyl refuses to spell the newspaper each evening for half an hour, I designed "the Speller"
The speller does that job, with a chipcorder ISD2560. Just in the pace of Morsecode, so characters E come faster then figures 0. It is loadable with understandable plain ASCII text.

Speed is limited to to 25 wpm or so, not very usefull when your aim is HST.

For that reason I made also a speller that shows the character, on a dot matrix and sounds the code. That performs the job with  a speed from 35 through 50 wpm in steps of 5 wpm, dependent on which of the sides of the enclosure is selected as the bottom.

You can find the article on my website http://pa0wv.home.xs4all.nl/zelfbouw.html under the link "Speller" on that web page.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 06:20:09 PM by PA0WV » Logged

Using an appliance without CW is just CB
BG8VZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 01:06:11 AM »

I see .I learned CW character but I find that it's so difficult to copy random character .I try to use www.lcwo.net to practice my CW copy speed. It's so difficult to distinguish two or more character from each other when they are send together.If they send one by one in  low speed, I can copy them .Maybe as others said ,CW need a lot time to practice proficient .Does anyone have some good ideas to practice CW more easy  after learn the character? I heard one said ,If you want to master CW ,you need to practice 2 hours everyday for one year ...It's horrible .What's the most efficient way to master CW in the shortest time ?Please tell me .
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 02:04:09 AM »

I heard one said ,If you want to master CW ,you need to practice 2 hours everyday for one year ...It's horrible .What's the most efficient way to master CW in the shortest time ?Please tell me .

Two hours each day for a year doesn't sound realistic.
When you exercise each day for 15 minutes, not longer, or when you want your desired result at about half the time, 15 minutes in the morning and 15 in the evening, you will be able to work CW on the bands in a period of 3 months or half a year.

Read about what is said by different people on
http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/cw/2011-October/thread.html

Ask google with LEARN CW

73 es gd luck
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 02:12:58 AM by PA0WV » Logged

Using an appliance without CW is just CB
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »

Why is everyone overthinking this?  Some people are able to copy code in a week, some take a year.  Everyone is different.

The name of the game isn't to see how much punishment you can take.  However, it can be an exercise in persistence and determination. 

I've pointed out here on this forum before, learning CW, both copying and sending, is like trying to lose weight.  There is NO easy method!  Stop looking for one.  You just start listening to groups of 2 or 3 characters until you can copy them, the add another 2 or 3 until you have the whole alphabet down.  Avoid starting at A and going to Z.  Mix the letters up. Then started integrating the numbers and after that the special characters.

There is nothing magical or a secret formula or method.  It's simply training your mind to recognize a sound and react to it.  Absolutely no different than hearing, "Pick up your socks and put them in the hamper."  Actually, learning code is easier than this example.

Code is simply learning to react to about 40 different sounds.  Although simple in design, it does take practice.  Be patient, don't rush it and try to enjoy it.  It really can be fun!  Especially if you can find someone to practice with rather it be a family member or a friend.

The bottom line is, it is worth it!  Understanding the code will open a whole new world to you.

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 10:04:44 AM »

Why is everyone overthinking this?

See below

Some people are able to copy code in a week, some take a year.  Everyone is different.

The name of the game isn't to see how much punishment you can take.  However, it can be an exercise in persistence and determination. 

I've pointed out here on this forum before, learning CW, both copying and sending, is like trying to lose weight.  There is NO easy method!  Stop looking for one.  You just start listening to groups of 2 or 3 characters until you can copy them, the add another 2 or 3 until you have the whole alphabet down.  Avoid starting at A and going to Z.  Mix the letters up. Then started integrating the numbers and after that the special characters.

There is nothing magical or a secret formula or method.  It's simply training your mind to recognize a sound and react to it.  Absolutely no different than hearing, "Pick up your socks and put them in the hamper."  Actually, learning code is easier than this example.

Code is simply learning to react to about 40 different sounds.  Although simple in design, it does take practice.  Be patient, don't rush it and try to enjoy it.  It really can be fun!  Especially if you can find someone to practice with rather it be a family member or a friend.

The bottom line is, it is worth it!  Understanding the code will open a whole new world to you.

That's so true it's worth bolding and repeating.

Now to answer the question about why people overthink it:

IMHO, there's a natural tendency to want to find the easiest/best/fastest way to something. Just look at questions in other threads, such as "what's the best HF rig for a new ham?" "what's the best antenna for 10 meters?" "what's the best band for working my brother 500 miles away?", etc., etc. It's natural for people to want a simple, quick pointer to "the best" or "the easiest" or whatever.

But the plain and simple fact is that we're all different, and our situations are different, so we have to experiment a bit to find out what the best way is for each of us and our particular situations. That's not simple. Those in the know can give general rules and guidance, but in the end it's up to the person to, as you say, pick up their socks.

For example, it's a pretty safe bet that practicing an hour at a time one or two days a week is NOT the way to learn for 99.99% of people. Too much is forgotten between sessions. OTOH, 2 hours every day for a year just isn't practical for most people who have jobs, kids, spouses, chores etc. What I have seen work, time and again, is 20-30 minutes a day, every day. More time is good, but the trick is to do it every day so you don't forget the previous day's learning.

Same for a lot of other rules. (See "12 Tips")

73 de Jim, N2EY

VK2FAK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 02:50:32 PM »

HI all...

Oh if there was such a thing as the Best and Most efficient way to learn the code quickly that worked for everyone.....I would bet it will be expensive ....

I agree that moving from a single Character to a few they seem to just go to fast for the brain. But the thing is, as you go further you find it all slows down in your head....its just a matter of time getting to that point, there is no trick, its just repetitive..

John

BG8VZ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 08:45:16 PM »

Two hours each day for a year doesn't sound realistic.
When you exercise each day for 15 minutes, not longer, or when you want your desired result at about half the time, 15 minutes in the morning and 15 in the evening, you will be able to work CW on the bands in a period of 3 months or half a year.

Read about what is said by different people on
http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/cw/2011-October/thread.html

Ask google with LEARN CW
73 es gd luck
[/quote]
I see. Your method is more easier .I will try it ! Although I have 4 free hours each day ,I don't want to use 2 hours to practice CW.I also want to read some books or magazine .I learn CW not only for upgrade but also for fun .I will  insist on learn it for half a year .Thanks the method you offer .I accept it !73 !
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »

What I have seen work, time and again, is 20-30 minutes a day, every day. More time is good, but the trick is to do it every day so you don't forget the previous day's learning.

This is about as close to a "magic formula" as one can get!  And Jim, you're also correct in your other observations.  We understand that since the day of the crystal set electronics hobbyist's have "discussed" and "talked" about a better way; an easier way, to do something.  That has permitted us to be where we are today with this very technical hobby.

However, like you, I have never seen a time where so many want something the easiest and fastest way possible.  I don't understand the hurry.  Perhaps they don't understand that getting there, rather it is learning code or building a big amplifier, is the real fun. 

An example of this is when I built my present amplifier.  It took 3 years to find the parts, plan the layout and circuit and modifications to suit me, another year of building (because I had a job and family to take care of) and then more time for working out the bugs. 

I learned THIS planning and care in building was THE fun.  Operating gave me joy but nothing like the actual planning and assembly.

Common guys, lighten up and enjoy the walk!
VK2FAK

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2011, 02:52:55 AM »

Hi all....

just a thought to assist getting used to multiple characters...

I am not a big fan of using slower speeds...it just did not work for me..so learn at the speed you want to start at..

Once you know the Characters at the speed you want..

try starting with 2 Character random groups this gives you a little extra time on the second Character as its followed by a word break.....once you can do that.....Increase it to 3 Character groups...same thing applies, you get extra time on the 3rd Char....Once you can do this...I would move to  2 to 5 Character groupings....just so you don't start counting Characters and you can pick the word breaks ok..

Just an idea that may help you...I found it helpful.

John
K5CQB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 11:26:07 AM »

Lately I have made my own word list for the Koch trainer of common words and abbreviations I hear and use a lot.  I play them just above my 100% copy level, usually in the background as I drive around.   
KW9W

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 10:20:21 AM »

Koch is very helpful. I'm less than 30 days into this new language!

1.  I began learning the letters with Koch. Then, I added other freeware to practice streams of letters (or words translated by Java within that freeware). Run the characters arrow to 42 in Koch, and you'll have access to the text file, and words files. After the program sees you use 42 characters, those file icons magically appear in the menu going across the top.
2. A couple of Elmers were contacted on SKCC after obtaining a free membership number. Then, we began meeting on a couple of different frequencies to get over the initial jitters, and develop confidence using my straight key.
3. Another source: ARRL sends code for practice "on air" daily at different speeds-see that website for a schedule and details, and you'll find ARRL MP3 files sitting on that site-that were created from old, QST magazine pages.

This practice works for 15-20 minute 'stabs' of time, and there was no actual $$ expense to learn by these methods. Take it seriously, and hit it every day. And, remember to translate signs on the highway, or labels on bottles and cans during your day to keep the practice moving forward.

John
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:28:45 AM by KW9W » Logged
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 11:25:37 AM »

I didn't see a mention of DJ1YFK's excellent "Learn CW Online" website.  There's something for everyone here-- beginning students to the most advanced: http://lcwo.net/

Chuck  NI0C
KW9W

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 11:41:20 AM »

I didn't see a mention of DJ1YFK's excellent "Learn CW Online" website.  There's something for everyone here-- beginning students to the most advanced: http://lcwo.net/

Chuck  NI0C

Chuck, thanks! I just tried/enjoyed the MP3 practice files-callsign training.

John
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: