Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is 4W6A even trying to reach NA or SA ?  (Read 11333 times)
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2011, 07:03:22 AM »

Yes very frustrating. I am listening on 17m ssb. I see spots of 59 in Ohio...he is barely out of the noise here in North Carolina.

Mark N1UK
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2011, 09:00:48 AM »

I spoke too soon..he has slowly been building over the last 2 hours  on 17m ssb and now is 57 here (1600 GMT) and I managed to work him.

Mark N1UK
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2011, 10:29:16 AM »

I managed to work him. N1UK

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Wink
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2011, 06:05:02 PM »

Success on 30 CW this afternoon. I think the company of guys limited to 200 watts (instead of 1500 on all other bands) helped alot. I'm sleeping late tomorrow.  Smiley

paul
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2011, 06:09:33 PM »

Congrats Paul.
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2011, 06:16:11 PM »

WTG Paul!  Bet that was LP, huh?
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2011, 06:32:50 PM »

To be honest, this was the first time I think I have EVER worked a country in Southeast Asia/Oceana in my evening LP. I ALWAYS just DX on the "low bands" in the early morning, evenings are always too hectic with the family. But with no luck in the mornings I told the wife and kids I was going to be "away" for a little while this afternoon, 30 minutes later I came up a happy guy.

I was on 30 in the pile even before the PY spotted him. I was pretty happy when the pile went from a dozen guys to a dozen HUNDRED guys once 4W6A was spotted... NOT!! I should try LP in afternoons more often. But I don't think most SE asia stations are as well equipped at 4W6A.

paul
K2FW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2011, 07:21:42 PM »

I was lucky enough to snag him LP early in the evening on 40 mtr CW.

And yes, it was tough for us guys here in the NE part of the USA.  For sure the southern part & western part of the country had a big advantage.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2011, 01:39:08 PM »

I cannot hear them on an voice. I see the spotted everywhere, but nothing.

To be fair, nothing in that region seem to be getting to me.
K4JC

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2011, 05:28:59 PM »

I tried on several bands, for a total of about 12 hours over the course of the DXpedition, and couldn't get 1 contact with them. Many times they were 10 over here! Lots of frustration at this QTH...  Sad
WB3CQM

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2011, 04:02:10 AM »

I tried on several bands, for a total of about 12 hours over the course of the DXpedition, and couldn't get 1 contact with them. Many times they were 10 over here! Lots of frustration at this QTH...  Sad

Vince ,

Please explain to me why you think that you could not work 4W6A.You are  living it the best spot in the eastern USA for propagation to  East Timor. A quick log search of the Florida DX stations proves my statement to be correct... I find it near impossible not to work a dx station that is 10 over S 9 .. even on a simple dipole antenna..

Lets look at my 17 meter qso on ssb .. I do not even have a antenna for the band.. They were S-3 and I worked them using a C-31XR .

Are you sure you do not have some serious antenna problem or transmit issues ?

JIM
WB3CQM

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2011, 04:41:25 AM »

Your frustration should be a message to new hams to put up a good antenna and avoid falling into the trap of being a frustrated ham.. (unless you live in a restricted neighborhood and not allowed to put up a good antenna)

When I had a 35 foot tower up and 2 el Lighting Bolt quad mounted on the tower I worked thousands of DX stations..

I know several hams that use poor verticals like the one you mention on qrz.com. These hams think their antenna with no ground wire system will net them great dx totals. I doubt that will happen unless we reach better propagation conditions. They always seem like frustrated DXers to me.

Let me give you a example of my neighbor running KW+ on 160 with a  poor vertical with 1 radial . I have heard him in pile ups for hours trying to work a DX station and leave frustrated while I work them in few calls using 100 watts. What is the difference ? I am using a 65 foot home brew T made from wire  with 36 130 foot radials and dedicated matching system with  2 baluns at feed point. My 160 meter  vertical should have 64 -120 radials to really perform , it would be like adding a kw I believe. 

Good Luck on the next 4W dxpedtion.

JIM
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2011, 06:51:15 AM »

I'll have to wait til the next one. A few of the mornings I got up early and they were on the upper bands. The one morning I slept in of course was the morning they were on 30m and 40m cw. Their last day or so I was out of town. I did manage to hear them on 20m ssb but could not break the pileup. Antenna is a dipole up 60-70 ft fed with ladderline to the tuner.
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2011, 07:17:51 AM »

I heard them day 3 on 17 meter CW and worked them then, that was the only QSO.  Only heard one other time BRIEFLY on 12M CW.  I got through with 1500 watts and a log periodic, so smaller stations should not feel bad as it was pretty tough to make this one at all.
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2011, 08:38:33 AM »

I wonder, too, if some of the frustration comes from not trying to work them on CW.  Or 12 meters.  I got them on 12 first, using a hexbeam and 100 watts.  That one has not shown up in the log yet, though.  Then I got them on 10 and 15.  But they were all on CW.  I only heard them strong enough to work on SSB on 20M and the pile-up was breathtaking.  Literally.

I only had limited time to bellow at them so had to make it count.  CW did that.

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com
http://n4kc.blogspot.com

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: