Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Bulletin on 17 PSK31  (Read 5087 times)
WB0DMA

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2011, 03:06:19 PM »

I working PSK31 on 17 meters at 18.100 and the ARRL Bulletin comes on at 5 central time and wipes out the entire waterfall. What's going on?
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 03:20:16 PM »

I working PSK31 on 17 meters at 18.100 and the ARRL Bulletin comes on at 5 central time and wipes out the entire waterfall. What's going on?

Same thing that goes on whenever the ARRL comes on the air with W1AW. Do they ever ask "Is the frequency in use" on CW?  Roll Eyes
KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 11:35:32 PM »

What is going on is that the ARRL Bulletin is being sent with quite a bit of power because it is a "broadcast".  Your receiver is not filtering adequately to handle it.  The problem is your rig's capabilities is either not adequate, or not being adequately used.  This has been discussed quite a bit.  People blame a strong signal for "wiping out the waterfall".  A strong signal will make your AGC kick in and attenuate so it doesn't overload your rig.  This has the effect of "wiping out the waterfall", because suddenly normal or weaker signals go WAY down.  If you "home in on" your target with a tight filter, the broadcast will be outside that filter and your weaker signal pops up.  Not all rigs have this capability.  We use Upper Sideband mode for our digital modes and waterfall display which is as wide as 3.0 Khz.  If you're a PSK user, your targert is 31 Hz... it's not the fault of a strong signal if your receiver can't home in on the 31 Hz without ignoring the rest of the 3.0 Khz.

John KX5JT
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 10:01:28 PM »

That's what your manual notch filter is for. At least you know when it's coming at at what frequency so you can be ready for it.
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 01:23:08 PM »

Is that ARRL of yours on the same side as the people who keep it in business ? Why do all these boneheads always pick the PSK frequencies to piss about on ? Thank goodness conditions are so poor we don't hear the garbage in Europe. Just because the ARRL is in the US doesn't mean everybody else in the world should tolersate the interference

G0GQK
KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 06:34:18 AM »

Is that ARRL of yours on the same side as the people who keep it in business ? Why do all these boneheads always pick the PSK frequencies to piss about on ? Thank goodness conditions are so poor we don't hear the garbage in Europe. Just because the ARRL is in the US doesn't mean everybody else in the world should tolersate the interference

G0GQK

Someone else blaming the signal.  It's 31 hz wide friend.  If you consider it a problem, invest in a real filter. 
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 10:29:19 AM »

G0GQK

Someone else blaming the signal.  It's 31 hz wide friend.  If you consider it a problem, invest in a real filter. 

OK so you feel it is just fine if I am working a station using Olivia and W1AW comes on the same frequency and starts "BROADCASTING" on CW? That my friend is call blatant interference to two licensed amateur stations.

So how can you sit there and say "It is ok, it is the ARRL, get a narrow filter" Bad response. That is like me firing up my amp and calling CQ right over top you and your friends while you are having a QSO.

Hey I have no problems with W1AW sending code practice. But not right on top of an ongoing QSO. They have no more rights to those frequencies than anyone else does.
KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 02:44:35 PM »

VE3FMC:  I don't feel it is "just fine",  but happiness in life is all about attitude.  You can piss and moan about it all you want, but I promise you this... the chances are your pissing and moaning about it is very unlikely to change the fact that the "almighty ARRL" will stop the broadcasting.  I should have been more clear for you.

Here's the fact.  Even if it weren't W1AW, propagation sometimes changes and a strong signal who suddenly comes right on top of you wipes you out.  The intention of this post wasn't even the problem of W1AW transmitting RIGHT ON TOP of the poster, it was simply in their bandpass.  But I digress.  It can happen to anyone anytime and it's not anyone doing anything wrong.  Solution?  A good filter and a slight QSY.  Or keep pissing and moaning and being miserable.

Peace my brother and 73 - KX5JT
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 04:26:58 PM »

VE3FMC:  I don't feel it is "just fine",  but happiness in life is all about attitude.  You can piss and moan about it all you want, but I promise you this... the chances are your pissing and moaning about it is very unlikely to change the fact that the "almighty ARRL" will stop the broadcasting.  I should have been more clear for you.

Here's the fact.  Even if it weren't W1AW, propagation sometimes changes and a strong signal who suddenly comes right on top of you wipes you out.  The intention of this post wasn't even the problem of W1AW transmitting RIGHT ON TOP of the poster, it was simply in their bandpass.  But I digress.  It can happen to anyone anytime and it's not anyone doing anything wrong.  Solution?  A good filter and a slight QSY.  Or keep pissing and moaning and being miserable.

Peace my brother and 73 - KX5JT

I am quite aware of the problems with propagation. I am also not pissing and moaning about the ARRL and W1AW.

I do feel strongly though that they can do a slight QSY as easy as we can. It's not always about filtering either. Working JT65, you can not narrow down a filter or you will miss stations calling CQ. Same goes for other digital modes.

I wonder how the ARRL would like it if I cranked up the power to 2200 PEP (our legal limit) and called CQ on top of them?

Don't take this the wrong way, I am not trying to start a war. All I am saying is the ARRL should show a little courtesy for other hams.
KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 06:29:25 PM »

I do feel strongly though that they can do a slight QSY as easy as we can. It's not always about filtering either. Working JT65, you can not narrow down a filter or you will miss stations calling CQ. Same goes for other digital modes.

I wonder how the ARRL would like it if I cranked up the power to 2200 PEP (our legal limit) and called CQ on top of them?

Don't take this the wrong way, I am not trying to start a war. All I am saying is the ARRL should show a little courtesy for other hams.

I know it's frustrating.  I believe that those bulletins may be automated although I think that is technically illegal.  They do publish times and frequencies however so it should not be a surprise.  They do tend to stick the same frequencies so I say just learn where that is and don't try a QSO there.  

I agree a war would be futile because they are not going to change their ways, so we have too.  That's life.  *sigh*
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 11:45:12 PM by KX5JT » Logged
N5PVL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 08:33:59 AM »

I agree that it would be better if the ARRL acted more like hams.

Maybe they should get some hams in there, that would help.

73 DE Charles, N5PVL
N1ZHE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 09:25:59 AM »

Can someone please explain other than posted times and frequencies, what the difference between what the ARRL does and what K1MAN did (which incurred the wrath of the FCC)?

Understand, I'm NOT defending K1MAN, I just would like to know the difference.
KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 06:58:10 PM »

Can someone please explain other than posted times and frequencies, what the difference between what the ARRL does and what K1MAN did (which incurred the wrath of the FCC)?

Understand, I'm NOT defending K1MAN, I just would like to know the difference.

This has been discussed for years....

http://www.bing.com/search?q=difference+between+k1man+and+w1aw&FORM=IE0006

The big differences are that W1AW posts times and freqs AND abides by the rules.  There are no promotion of products for pecuniary purposes with W1AW, the information is relavant to amateur radio.  That's a start.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: